A Bunch of Questions

bigdoc

Mar 1, 2012
Hello all. Been a lurker here for a while, 1st-time post. I am slowly transitioning to retirement in the D.R.. I have a home and a vehicle. Married to a Dominican for 30+ years. In the process of getting my residency. Looking for a way to import an older vehicle (1977 jeep). I was wondering if anyone has any ideas or suggestions? This is probably the first of a long list of questions to come. Thanks for any advice!

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Hello all. Been a lurker here for a while, 1st-time post. I am slowly transitioning to retirement in the D.R.. I have a home and a vehicle. Married to a Dominican for 30+ years. In the process of getting my residency. Looking for a way to import an older vehicle (1977 jeep). I was wondering if anyone has any ideas or suggestions? This is probably the first of a long list of questions to come. Thanks for any advice!
Not possible........

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
Hi Bigdoc,

Contact the CAACRD https://www.facebook.com/CAACRD/

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I inquired with a good lawyer in 2015 about importing a 2001 Isuzu Trooper and was told forget it.
So I sold it

Buffness

Self-imposed banned🫢
Oct 9, 2014
Yup ! All of the above ....lost money trying to import a 2006 car ....sentimental reasons ...😩....long story ....couldn't ...so ...next question...

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
This is the correct answer. Older vehicles (30+years) can be imported.

The last time I checked, requirements were a letter from the president of the CAACRD club stating your vehicle is a classic, and you pay a flat $3000 dollar tax on the value.
You will probably have to pay the "first license plate" fee as well.
The CAACRD folks will bring you up to speed, and they're a great group of folks too.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic

The last time I checked, requirements were a letter from the president of the CAACRD club stating your vehicle is a classic, and you pay a flat $3000 dollar tax on the value.
The CAACRD folks will bring you up to speed, and they're a great group of folks too.
A 77 Corvette Stingray is a classic
A 77 Jeep is a piece of junk

Reactions: windeguy

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
A 77 Corvette Stingray is a classic
A 77 Jeep is a piece of junk
Art,

This is a classic, tranquilo!

1652623850747.png

• Haha
Reactions: windeguy and cavok
Jan 9, 2004

Yes it is.

Of course you can import a Classic. Several classic clubs operate in the DR to help you facilitate a transfer..............and you would be amazed at the number of gorgeous classics on the Island. Lots of regular shows to attend as well.

The one club I am most familiar with is in the Cibao;

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2