Newborn abandoned in front of the Ministry of the Environment

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Abandonan-niña-Medio-Ambiente-Hoy-1024x634.png

A two-day-old baby girl was found Wednesday afternoon, 7 December 2022, on the sidewalk in the surroundings of the Ministry of Environment and Ministry of Tourism building, off Av. Luperón in Santo Domingo. With the baby was a vaccination card.

A doctor at the Ministry of Environment checked the baby and said she seemed to be in good health and apparently had recently been breastfed.

The note on the finding says the baby would be sent to the National Council for Children and Adolescents (Conani).

The whereabouts of her parents are unknown.

Read more in Spanish:Hoy

8 December 2022

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Just another a sad case of a woman not terminating an unwanted pregnancy at an early stage. When you read this article alongside another today reporting that some 59% of young girls have sex in their early teens , you wonder whether the next morning pill should not be sold like chewing gum at every store.

Reactions: ChelseaRose

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
certainly, easy and cheap access to birth control should be available. We have no idea of the circumstances of the pregnancy, the mother's state of mind...etc. Obviously by the note, she wants the child to live. One of my Neighbour's is raising a little boy that was abused as a baby by a drug addicted mother. Thankfully the boy is healthy and loved, now.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Just another a sad case of a woman not terminating an unwanted pregnancy at an early stage. When you read this article alongside another today reporting that some 59% of young girls have sex in their early teens , you wonder whether the next morning pill should not be sold like chewing gum at every store.
Quite possibly the mother fell on hard times financially and knew she would not be able to provide for the child and, although not using the best method, she did the right thing by leaving the baby girl where hopefully she gets a good home.

If you say it was sad the woman could not terminate the child, I suppose she could have smothered it on the first day and that would have acceptable ? - But now hopefully there is a good family with the means to provide a life and love and proper upbringing for the baby.

Birth control is readily available in DR, so pregnancies need not be unwanted, but passion sometimes makes young lovers reckless.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Morning after pill? Most of the time they WANT those babies.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Often with men 20, 30 years their senior.
It's gonna take more than a few new laws and regulations to change several generations of Dominican culture.

At least the baby was dropped off at an office building and not left for dead somewhere on the side of the road like happened here in Santiago a few years ago.

Reactions: bob saunders

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
The morning after pill is available at all farmacias here w/o prescription.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Often with men 20, 30 years their senior.
It's gonna take more than a few new laws and regulations to change several generations of Dominican culture.

At least the baby was dropped off at an office building and not left for dead somewhere on the side of the road like happened here in Santiago a few years ago.
Many years ago I signed up to a few dating sights like Cupid, Badoo, Tagged and Hi5.

It didn't take long for me to figure out that those pages are not the way to meet someone.

Nevertheless, I've been getting messages from women on those sites almost on a daily basis.

I can tell you that 85-90% of the ones who write to me are between 18 and 25. Almost all of them start out with "I like older men" and almost all of the are single mothers.

I had a girl contact me once who had 4 kids, and she was only 21. When I asked her how she ended up with so many, she said "para salir de eso."

ChelseaRose

Jul 16, 2017
Kids need comprehensive sex ed in schools - not just abstinence "education". Especially in el campo - how readily available is birth control to teenagers, really? If young women don't know there's something called the morning after pill available to them, then why would they bother searching it out? By the time a young woman has signs of pregancy it's too late to take the morning after pill, anyway. And with no access to safe, legal abortion in this country, well, not many other options available except bring the pregnancy to term.

Reactions: chicagoan14

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The Dominican constitution says that life begins at inception, not during the pregnancy or during birth. If abortion is going to be legal, the first thing is that the constitution must be modified.

Some may say "the Dominican constitution is one of the most modified on earth" and that is true, but don't forget to say 99% of the modifications relate to allowing presidential re-election or not, while not much else.

To put it bluntly, in the DR life starts when a sperm fertilizes an egg. Aby type of abortion (other than spantaneous abortions) are akin to committing murder.

Before someone says "in the USA abortions are legal," yes and life starts at birth, not inception. Hence, an abortion in the USA is technically not killing someone.

Last edited:

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Many years ago I signed up to a few dating sights like Cupid, Badoo, Tagged and Hi5.

It didn't take long for me to figure out that those pages are not the way to meet someone.

Nevertheless, I've been getting messages from women on those sites almost on a daily basis.

I can tell you that 85-90% of the ones who write to me are between 18 and 25. Almost all of them start out with "I like older men" and almost all of the are single mothers.

I had a girl contact me once who had 4 kids, and she was only 21. When I asked her how she ended up with so many, she said "para salir de eso."
Having a baby by an American man is a real game changer for young Dominican women if they can get the man to sign on to paternity for the child - that is agree to support 'it' until age 18... gives the child access to US citizenship (I think that there are hoops) BUT ALSO allows the mother to collect 1/2 of dad's social security if father dies before child is 18

Thus the OLDER an American man is - the MORE attractive he becomes to young Dominican women! This is actually not a bad old age plan for many Americans - if they can find a young woman who will take them into her family and take care of him... much better than a sad and lonely single life here in the USA!!

Reactions: chicagoan14

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
(I sat in on an hour long conversation on this topic with a couple of young Dominican women about "a cousin" who was dating "a gringo" -- very revealing - Don't know what the rules are for other countries but did do some research on the US regulations....
)

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Having a baby by an American man is a real game changer for young Dominican women if they can get the man to sign on to paternity for the child - that is agree to support 'it' until age 18... gives the child access to US citizenship (I think that there are hoops) BUT ALSO allows the mother to collect 1/2 of dad's social security if father dies before child is 18

Thus the OLDER an American man is - the MORE attractive he becomes to young Dominican women! This is actually not a bad old age plan for many Americans - if they can find a young woman who will take them into her family and take care of him... much better than a sad and lonely single life here in the USA!!
The typical young Dominican women in a relationship and/or with kids are with Dominican men and when there is a US citizen involved, more often than not he is Dominican naturalized as a US citizen or a Dominican-American. Gringo Americans are extremely rare.

Reactions: CristoRey

Sol09

Jan 12, 2017
The Dominican constitution says that life begins at inception, not during the pregnancy or during birth. If abortion is going to be legal, the first thing is that the constitution must be modified.

Some may say "the Dominican constitution is one of the most modified on earth" and that is true, but don't forget to say 99% of the modifications relate to allowing presidential re-election or not, while not much else.

To put it bluntly, in the DR life starts when a sperm fertilizes an egg. Aby type of abortion (other than spantaneous abortions) are akin to committing murder.

Before someone says "in the USA abortions are legal," yes and life starts at birth, not inception. Hence, an abortion in the USA is technically not killing someone.
I don't see abortion ever being legal here. And if they ever were to become legal, I don't see many women getting them for economic and cultural reasons. Having a child here is considered a blessing and an expectation. If you ever speak to a Domincain and do not have children, they will say that you HAVE to have one.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I don't see abortion ever being legal here. And if they ever were to become legal, I don't see many women getting them for economic and cultural reasons. Having a child here is considered a blessing and an expectation. If you ever speak to a Domincain and do not have children, they will say that you HAVE to have one.

misery likes company ? 😆😆😆😆

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com

I’m glad you added “technically”

Reactions: Joseph NY2STI

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
There are quite a few illegal abortions happening here. Normally some woman or girl whose husband is in NY and she gets pregnant from somebody else.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016

I believe that is not the case for collecting 1/2 SSI of the father. Also it depends on how many other minor children he has.

Some things needed
The easiest is the child must be a US citizen, which they would be, if the mother had 'legally' entered into the US prior to birth.
Birth abroad to a US father does not automatically grant citizenship to children.
The father must have been living in the US for 5 years before the child's birth (and 2 of those years have to be beyond the father's 14th birthday) or the child must have been born in the US or territory. In other words a US father who lived abroad prior to his 14th birthday until he conceived does not qualify, nor a US father who did not have 5 full years of residence in the US. So a Dominican with US citizenship who left at or before age 14 and did not move back for 2 years prior to becoming a father can not have a qualifying child.

The biological father and mother must have been legally married at the time of the child's birth. There are exceptions if their were written documents filed that the biological father agreed to support the child till age 18, and actual paternity can be established. (Maybe by DNA)

Benefits cease at 18 unless they are fully disabled.
And, unless it has changed, all the applications for survivor's benefits for SSI must done in English.

It sure is not a golden ticket, like so many Dominican women think.

chicagoan14

Apr 2, 2019
Kids need comprehensive sex ed in schools - not just abstinence "education". Especially in el campo - how readily available is birth control to teenagers, really? If young women don't know there's something called the morning after pill available to them, then why would they bother searching it out? By the time a young woman has signs of pregancy it's too late to take the morning after pill, anyway. And with no access to safe, legal abortion in this country, well, not many other options available except bring the pregnancy to term.
This is very true. It's better to teach sex ed but most schools don't do it. At the last one I worked at they would have sex charlas but only for the girls. which I always found strange. I've met a lot of women who had sex young and would truthfully tell me they didn't know what could happen. Me, dumbfounded would ask "you don't know 1+1=2?" and they'd tell me they didn't know they could get pregnant in certain situations. But... you know after the first time there's really no excuse. Plan b is 70 pesos.

Reactions: mountainannie