Newfie Joke

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
American Food

Jim,
If I was asked what typical American food was I would refer back to the regional cuisine of the North East, which is: new potatos, corn on the cob, fiddle heads and lobster.
But this is just because I am a Maine Girl, and we still eat food we grow ourselves/catch ourselves/find ourselves. Damn the supermarket! And fast food for that matter! AND chain restaurants!
Now that I am living in the "south"--we eat barbeque, peaches, and bourbon. I have yet to try "corn pone" but I hear it's a true southern staple.
;)

debs

Jun 10, 2002
Re: Canadian food, American food, Dominican food

Jim Hinsch said:

Anybody ever go to Epcott Center and try the "Canadian" food at their International Food Sampling section? Is that a joke? I didn't even know there WAS such a thing.

I've never been to the Epcott Center. But this curious Canadian would like to know what they had on the menu for Canadian cuisine? If you can remember...

Some dishes that I think of that are considered Canadian are tourtiere, poutine, lobster, peameal bacon...

Deb

Meredith

LiVe ThE LiFe YoU iMaGiNeD
Jan 24, 2002
Canadian Food.....

I would say, poutine! And of course french toast and maple syrup! What about Tim Hortons? That is purely Canadian!

And of course, like Richard stated, don't forget the wonderful alcohol!!

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Re: Canadian food, American food, Dominican food

Jim Hinsch said:
Anybody ever go to Epcott Center and try the "Canadian" food at their International Food Sampling section? Is that a joke? I didn't even know there WAS such a thing.

Searching for Kanata cuisine
Native Canadian cuisine a hit in Hong Kong, but invisible here
Isabel Teotonio
STAFF REPORTER

Keith Beaty/TORONTO STAR
ARE YOU GAME? Roast rack of venison, prepared and displayed by chef David Wolfman, is one of the highlights of native Canadian food.

FD-MAIN19.GAPD1K1F.1.jpg

Keith Beaty/TORONTO STAR
MEET THE WOLFMAN: Chef David Wolfman: "We need more natives opening restaurants."
Overlooking Victoria Harbour, hungry diners at the upscale Panorama restaurant recently helped owners harvest a small fortune during a month-long blitz called "Discover Canada."

Victoria Harbour in Hong Kong, that is.

Succulent salmon from the Fraser River in British Columbia, braised bison short ribs from the Prairies and Ontario duck breast marinated in Okanagan ice wine ? all native Canadian foods, all of it enjoyed in China, and all prepared by a First Nations crew flown in from B.C. that specializes in what it calls "Kanata" cooking.

rest of the article

mob

debs

Jun 10, 2002
Re: Canadian Food.....

Meredith said:
I would say, poutine! And of course french toast and maple syrup! What about Tim Hortons? That is purely Canadian!

How could I forget those...ah french toast with maple syrup and Timmy's...now I'm hungry ;)

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
My Quebec additions: tarte au sucre, pat? chinois, and creton.

American foods? I can't think of anything! Do Manwiches count?

richard

Jan 1, 2002
Re: Canadian Food.....

Meredith said:

Oh yes, strawberry tarts and those wonderful donuts at Tim's. A nephew of mine from Tucson recently visited Canada for the first time in many years and thought Tim's goodies were to die for. I agree. I've never tried krispie kremes which Americans seem to drool over but would sure like to see how they stack up.:lick: :lick:

richard

Jan 1, 2002
Anna Coniglio said:
opps, I forgot those yummy beaver tails

And I forgot butter tarts. I don't understand why Americans haven't started on them Tourists buy them by the dozen and smuggle them back to the ?U.S. Speaking of smuggling they like to buy Cuban cigars here and smuggle them back. Isn't that trading with the enemy?:devious:

debs

Jun 10, 2002
richard said:

And I forgot butter tarts. I don't understand why Americans haven't started on them Tourists buy them by the dozen and smuggle them back to the ?U.S. Speaking of smuggling they like to buy Cuban cigars here and smuggle them back. Isn't that trading with the enemy?:devious:

Yes, butter tarts too. A company I worked for a few years ago had an office in NYC and whenever the New Yorkers came to Toronto they'd always be looking for some of my butter tarts (homemade, of course). And you're right, they'd never heard of them until then and now they love them. Yummy.

What about moose meat? Do Americans eat that? Or is that just something Maritimers eat?

richard

Jan 1, 2002
debs said:

Yes, butter tarts too. A company I worked for a few years ago had an office in NYC and whenever the New Yorkers came to Toronto they'd always be looking for some of my butter tarts (homemade, of course). And you're right, they'd never heard of them until then and now they love them. Yummy.

What about moose meat? Do Americans eat that? Or is that just something Maritimers eat?

They know moosehead beer, thats forsure!:cool:

gonzaga

Mar 19, 2002
Debs,

My understanding is that the Americans visit the maritimes to hunt the moose as a hobby. They usually collect it's antlers or horns, whatever you want to call them. Some may eat it, but don't know of any american toursit that went to NFLD just to bring back the meat.

Oh a famous Newfie dish is "Fish and Bruise with fried Pork" and very good. Not sure if I spelled Bruise right, as I've been in Toronto tooooooooooo long. Anyone who visted the east coast should know what's this is.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
American food!

Apple Pie
Roast Turkey
Fried Chicken
Nachos(yes, it was invented in New Mexico in the 60's)
Hush Puppies
Pop Corn
Roast Corn(Just about all types of Corn dishes)
Cranberry sauce
Pumpkin Pie
Alligator
beef jerky
Pemmican
Buffalo
Ribs
Stone Crab
Maine Lobster
Egg Creams
Coke Cola(And Pepsi and lots of other Soft Drinks)
Bourbon
Elephant ears
Corn Dogs
Krisppy Kremes
Cinimon Rolls
Ice Cream
Sweet Milk Chocolate

All I can think of Right now.
Pretty impressive huh?
BTW Southern Comfort and Yukon Jack are Licours Not whiskey!

Tony C.

debs

Jun 10, 2002
gonzaga said:
Debs,

Oh a famous Newfie dish is "Fish and Bruise with fried Pork" and very good. Not sure if I spelled Bruise right, as I've been in Toronto tooooooooooo long. Anyone who visted the east coast should know what's this is.

Yep, fish and doughboys with pork scraps...a Newfie classic :)

richard

Jan 1, 2002
debs said:

Yep, fish and doughboys with pork scraps...a Newfie classic :)

How about newfy screach? or, I's the bye that builds the boat and I's the bye that sails her, I's the bye that catches the fish and takes 'em home to Lizer;)

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
When people ask me to describe the Dominican Republic and its people, I often say its kind of like Newfoundland but tropical (and I mean that in the best way possible.)
Cheers,
Nelly :)
Mainlander

Meredith

LiVe ThE LiFe YoU iMaGiNeD
Jan 24, 2002
SCREECH!!!!!!!!!!!! That Newfie drink is lethal!! Puts me on the floor everytime!! :confused: