Next minister of Interior & Police says government will apply the law

Status
Not open for further replies.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If anyone has doubts about what the immigration law states, just read it.

Nowhere in that law is there a mention of any overstay fees. Nowhere at all.

Reactions: El Rey de Mangu
Sep 22, 2009
Time will tell if it gets more interesting for them.

Do they ever leave the DR?
I just think the logistics of an immigration truck nabbing offenders, setting up sting ops, etc is beyond scope. Most of these offenders are off the grid I assume. Would they freeze bank accounts? Will they raid Playero? I'm fairly certain this will continue to be a red flag database thing where if you are involved in something like a court date, an arrest, etc., then you can be processed for deportation. I'm sure we will find out soon enough as this seems to be a priority for the new administration

Reactions: Jan and MikeFisher

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I just think the logistics of an immigration truck nabbing offenders, setting up sting ops, etc is beyond scope. Most of these offenders are off the grid I assume. Would they freeze bank accounts? Will they raid Playero? I'm fairly certain this will continue to be a red flag database thing where if you are involved in something like a court date, an arrest, etc., then you can be processed for deportation. I'm sure we will find out soon enough as this seems to be a priority for the new administration
If I were to speculate, I would think the issues would arise when someone that lived here left the country and then tried to re-enter.
Or if they were in an accident, working and were asked for residency, things like that.

Banking and doing business could be made much more difficult for people who are not legally here.

Rounding up people is far too much work, this is the DR after all. They will let the fish come to their hook.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
I understand you understand. Others don't seem to.
I am a legal resident since 2006 and always was in favor of long term visitors to legalize formally but I am against suddenly enforcing the law and somehow surprising current overstayers without some kind of warning officially and with a reasonable period to maybe leave the country and come back or apply for residency. And I would be in favor of them offering an easy process now. I think the country needs them.

Reactions: Travelbear18

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I think they understand. This is grey area because : If you have notices posted at immigration and on various web sites regarding "overstays" they say (the government) pay the "following" fees. One month, one year, 10 years, etc. they DO NOT say you are illegal. Now one can take that as I committed an offense but there is no stated draconian punishment that follows AFTER paying the "overstay fee". Where is that "additional " penalty so stated in the statues? No where and that is the reason for the discussion here.
Since it is such a grey area I have gone overboard to avoid problems until such time as I get residency or the matter is more clearly stated. I stay 3-3 1/2 weeks and leave for 2 weeks and return. I have been doing this for the past 8 months. Doesn't bother me bc it fits my needs for business in the states. However, I would like to see a clearer interpretation of the law and the documents you present don't cut it. I think you can see my point.

Reactions: aarhus

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
exactly.
there is zero need to "solve/change" such thing over night/to get rid of such people any quickly or such.
if he wishes he can easily enforce the existing Immigrations Law by just processing the ones caught by accident,
like when you get a hearing and can't show a cedula or a passport with a up to date entry-stamp"",
or stopped at a check point and asked for your papers like drivers licens/cedula/matricula,
or if you hang out at the wrong time at a bar which gets a shake up by Narcotics, need a good conduct paper, etc etc.
mentioning in the Press about such happenings with the result that such foreigner been deported, will automatically over time reduce the number of such guests.
an other point is, some countries/Embassies will not renew your passport without the proof that your Immigrations Status is "clear". I know that as fact forthe German Embassy in St Dgo.
they can Flag overstayers in the person's Immigrations History, so furture entry to the country would be denied.

what the DR FIRST need's, before messing with also good people within the overstayers,
is some kind of easy to obtain longer stay Visa, like a Snowbird Visa.
sell that and make some bucks on it, a snowbird visa valid for let's say 6 months.
once such Visa can be easily obtained online at DR Embassies abroad, without a ton of overprized translated and notarized paperwork,
then the very welcome and for DR hassle free group of mid term winter visitors would be covered
and others, not willing to go such way, shown the door back to their plane they came with.

no need to go illegals chasing, that would be too much work, would cost too much money.
do it the way where you Make some money and keep good guests happy campers.

Sep 22, 2009
You're correct the law is clear. Overstay means an illegal presence in the national territory. Some folks just chance it because it's the easier route. And the odds are with them, well or have been up to now. I personally cannot imagine having acquired assets here and throwing chance to the wind. I do feel it will soon become harder to get away with many things. I think the military and PN will be "looking" for offenders at checkpoints more often. I just don't see any raid or sting ops unless they see a shakedown opportunity

Reactions: MikeFisher
Sep 22, 2009
exactly.
there is zero need to "solve/change" such thing over night/to get rid of such people any quickly or such.
if he wishes he can easily enforce the existing Immigrations Law by just processing the ones caught by accident,
like when you get a hearing and can't show a cedula or a passport with a up to date entry-stamp"",
or stopped at a check point and asked for your papers like drivers licens/cedula/matricula,
or if you hang out at the wrong time at a bar which gets a shake up by Narcotics, need a good conduct paper, etc etc.
mentioning in the Press about such happenings with the result that such foreigner been deported, will automatically over time reduce the number of such guests.
an other point is, some countries/Embassies will not renew your passport without the proof that your Immigrations Status is "clear". I know that as fact forthe German Embassy in St Dgo.
they can Flag overstayers in the person's Immigrations History, so furture entry to the country would be denied.

what the DR FIRST need's, before messing with also good people within the overstayers,
is some kind of easy to obtain longer stay Visa, like a Snowbird Visa.
sell that and make some bucks on it, a snowbird visa valid for let's say 6 months.
once such Visa can be easily obtained online at DR Embassies abroad, without a ton of overprized translated and notarized paperwork,
then the very welcome and for DR hassle free group of mid term winter visitors would be covered
and others, not willing to go such way, shown the door back to their plane they came with.

no need to go illegals chasing, that would be too much work, would cost too much money.
do it the way where you Make some money and keep good guests happy campers.
Nice post Mike

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I am a legal resident since 2006 and always was in favor of long term visitors to legalize formally but I am against suddenly enforcing the law and somehow surprising current overstayers without some kind of warning officially and with a reasonable period to maybe leave the country and come back or apply for residency. And I would be in favor of them offering an easy process now. I think the country needs them.
but all that we already had not so long ago.
the Illegal Immigrants in the DR got a time line set to do their paperwork/get Residency through the Plan de dingens....
and quiet a large number of such long time overstayers did exactly that, got finlly their Residency.
i know a number of such folks in my own surroundings alone here.
who is here Today a 20 years overstayer, has no excuse for that.
the "Warning" was out years ago when the Plan started.
there is no need to "warn" again, exactly those would anyways laugh again, as they did about the first Plan, so no need for such again.
announce in the Press officially, that overstaying is no longer acceptable, do so a few weeks ahead of the "starting date"
and from there on just do as described above, catch ém as they come to you, like for a court date, found in a car accident, during a normal check point on the road, no passport renewals without a legal Immigrations Status etc etc etc.
due such normal things/happenings, some would get caught and many others would think twice about it.
All withotu any wich-hunt or any expensesfor running operatives or such.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Why would the new government kill a cash cow (overstay fees) and drive out a large segment of the tourist population that contributes to the DR economy? Doing this during a pandemic that is destroying tourism and a major revenue stream in the DR seems counterintuitive to me. Simply bring in a six month visa like Mexico and Colombia and replace the revenue lost by overstay fees. A new government is like a new broom. It sweeps clean for a while but dirt eventually gets left behind. The new government is going to be overwhelmed by pandemic problems and decreased revenue. They will quickly realize there is no point in putting out a small fire when the whole forest is ablaze. I don’t have any problem paying my overstay fees when I depart. If I’m eventually blocked, my money is good in Colombia and Mexico.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
Why would the new government kill a cash cow (overstay fees) and drive out a large segment of the tourist population that contributes to the DR economy? Doing this during a pandemic that is destroying tourism and a major revenue stream in the DR seems counterintuitive to me. Simply bring in a six month visa like Mexico and Colombia and replace the revenue lost by overstay fees. A new government is like a new broom. It sweeps clean for a while but dirt eventually gets left behind. The new government is going to be overwhelmed by pandemic problems and decreased revenue. They will quickly realize there is no point in putting out a small fire when the whole forest is ablaze. I don’t have any problem paying my overstay fees when I depart. If I’m eventually blocked, my money is good in Colombia and Mexico.
I agree. This is a segment of the tourists the DR needs more than ever. They prefer to just fly once and then stay long term. Ideal right now. Yes bring in a 3 months or 6 months visa and maybe even make it possible to renew here but have some maximum maybe a year where you then have to leave.

Sep 22, 2009

It's been said on this board many times. The overstay revenue is not a significant stream. They are not throwing out the fee schedule either. They will simply be sending a few more tatted up mongers, Interpol and fbi-wanteds, general dope fiends and of course Hatians, back to the mother land more often!

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
I agree. This is a segment of the tourists the DR needs more than ever. They prefer to just fly once and then stay long term. Ideal right now. Yes bring in a 3 months or 6 months visa and maybe even make it possible to renew here but have some maximum maybe a year where you then have to leave.
I have friends in Mexico and Colombia. They get a six month visa, leave for a few days when it expires and return for the remainder of their 8 month stays. Been doing it for years and never hassled. If what El Ray is saying is true, then the ministers statement is a molehill not a mountain. Enforcement will be applied judiciously to the select few they focus on, the more unsavoury types and not the bulk of the low profile money spending overstayers.

Sep 22, 2009
I have friends in Mexico and Colombia. They get a six month visa, leave for a few days when it expires and return for the remainder of their 8 month stays. Been doing it for years and never hassled. If what El Ray is saying is true, then the ministers statement is a molehill not a mountain. Enforcement will be applied judiciously to the select few they focus on, the more unsavoury types and not the bulk of the low profile money spending overstayers.
This is another muck run wild. The new administration pushes a press release regarding immigration enforcement and the all the mongers and Interpol tatted folks get defensive . This most likely is about what it always has been, and that's a PC cya so they can reboot the hatian deportation ops.

And Eco you are correct. Their targets are simply not overstaying gringos who kick in serious income to the economy. Trust me.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
In another thread I mentioned the Digital Nomads who travel and work from their laptop and other mobile devices. I think the group El Rey refers to must be small but I may be wrong. The ones I have heard of certainly contribute. They own or rent property and work online or visit often and have their business outside DR. To me the overstay fee is not the catch as its not a lot of money. Its the flexibility and the money they spend or eventually invest here. I think they are especially needed now. You mention Colombia and Mexico and yes some of them go different places and prefer that freedom. Should they be almost forced to apply for residency here.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I think they understand. This is grey area because : If you have notices posted at immigration and on various web sites regarding "overstays" they say (the government) pay the "following" fees. One month, one year, 10 years, etc. they DO NOT say you are illegal. Now one can take that as I committed an offense but there is no stated draconian punishment that follows AFTER paying the "overstay fee". Where is that "additional " penalty so stated in the statues? No where and that is the reason for the discussion here.
Since it is such a grey area I have gone overboard to avoid problems until such time as I get residency or the matter is more clearly stated. I stay 3-3 1/2 weeks and leave for 2 weeks and return. I have been doing this for the past 8 months. Doesn't bother me bc it fits my needs for business in the states. However, I would like to see a clearer interpretation of the law and the documents you present don't cut it. I think you can see my point.
It is true that a lot of people are misled by this entire scenario. That I do agree with. That said,
I have pointed out where the information is on the Migracion website which clearly states that the payment of the fee does not mean the stay was legal.

We have a saying in the US: Ignorance of the law is no excuse. Perhaps the new minister will remove much of the ignorance on this point.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It's been said on this board many times. The overstay revenue is not a significant stream. They are not throwing out the fee schedule either. They will simply be sending a few more tatted up mongers, Interpol and fbi-wanteds, general dope fiends and of course Hatians, back to the mother land more often!
If the minister is true to his word about going with the law, the overstay fee will disappear. The overstay fee has no law behind it. Time will tell.

Of course, the Haitian situation has been what has prevented the government from being able to walk and chew gum at the same time as in dealing with the Haitians and coming up with a legal situation for people to visit for more than a month without either going through hoops for a short extension or being illegal.

All we can do is see what happens after the new party takes over after 16 years of PLD rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.