Next minister of Interior & Police says government will apply the law

Status
Not open for further replies.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Amazing. You hijacked the thread with the first comment. An all time record.

It has ZERO to do with the overstay fee.

The article addresses migration. Look up the word migration.

Your premise is fallacious. Not surprising though.
You are 100% wrong.

Migration law is what it is about. People that overstay are violating migration law.
The overstay fees were made up to work around people actually following that very migration law by becoming legal residents.
Paying a fee upon leaving does not mean that the stay was legal. This is stated on the Migracion website at the link I pointed out.

The minister mentions that the law has not been followed properly and the way it was not followed properly was by allowing people to
stay illegally and pay a fee when they leave.

It is not hard to understand at all if you look up that law mentioned by the minister.

GusFring

Apr 15, 2020
Migration law is what it is about. People that overstay are violating migration law.
The overstay fees were made up to work around people actually following that very migration law by becoming legal residents.
The minister mentions that the law has not been followed properly and the way it was not followed properly was by allowing people to
stay illegally and pay a fee when they leave.

It is not hard to understand at all if you look up that law mentioned by the minister.
That's your spin. That's not what the Minister is addressing here.

It's what you are addressing.

Reactions: Caonabo

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Time will tell if it gets more interesting for them.

Do they ever leave the DR?
Some do. Some don't. Some are married with children.
Business owners. Own property. Own vehicles. Some
are mongers trying to make a name for themselves in
Sosua. I am eager to see if they take action. No offense
but Dominicans typically bark more often than they bite.

GusFring

Apr 15, 2020
and what are you addressing or what is your understanding of what the minister sad?
He is adressing the settlement of people(s) into the DR be they Haitian or otherwise but most assuredly Haitian.

Your basic no illegal Haitian migration policy. Rinse. Repeat.

Reactions: Caonabo

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
we may soon see.
basically, I see our formerly quiet wide open land border to get controlled way more tight than ever.
and I see the new administration smart enough to implement a kinda snowbird visa, even named exactly that, a Snowbird Visa.
sure such visa only make's sense when then in exchange the loophole overstay fee get's kicked into the trash can.
but one step at a time.
I don't see any which hunts for any illegals on our streets any time soon.
what would be a important add to the immigrations laws, including every simple tourist, too,
would the the requirement for EVERY Traveler to the DR to show proof of a valid medical insurance,
independend of the length of the stay, as it is usual in so many other countries for every visitor.
there has to be a package covering all sides of incoming travelers, may it be sort term recreacional or mid term snowbird or long term stayinng travelers.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Some do. Some don't. Some are married with children.
Business owners. Own property. Own vehicles. Some
are mongers trying to make a name for themselves in
Sosua. I am eager to see if they take action. No offense
but Dominicans typically bark more often than they bite.
Sounds like productive people building there life in the DR.

Andre14615

Banned
May 31, 2019
I think you guys are overreacting as usual. The Dominican Republic is not getting rid of an illegal like me who spends $2,000 a month on rent another 2,000 on entertainment and so on. Do you really think they want to remove an alien like me? Especially when the country is totally broke due to this pandemic. I'm sure it has happened but I've never heard of an American being deported who wasn't into Shady things.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
He is adressing the settlement of people(s) into the DR be they Haitian or otherwise but most assuredly Haitian.

Your basic no illegal Haitian migration policy. Rinse. Repeat.
Maybe they have seen now during a pandemic the potential problems it can lead to and maybe they have had problems.

Reactions: GusFring

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
I think you guys are overreacting as usual. The Dominican Republic is not getting rid of an illegal like me who spends $2,000 a month on rent another 2,000 on entertainment and so on. Do you really think they want to remove an alien like me? Especially when the country is totally broke due to this pandemic. I'm sure it has happened but I've never heard of an American being deported who wasn't into Shady things.
I am in the camp thinking there is nothing illegal about what you are doing as its not been enforced and you pay the overstaying fees and that’s fine. Just because some Dominican lawyers says that’s illegal does not mean it is. Obviously the Dominican lawyer wants to sell the residency deal. That’s how they make a living. Just like they will tell you what you have to do when starting a business because thats Dominican law and you think oh I better do that then until you realize to late you are put at a huge disadvantage. I also doubt the DR is suddenly going to round up people who are productive and contribute to economy and deport them. Especially not now. It would be very stupid.

Andre14615

Banned
May 31, 2019
I am in the camp thinking there is nothing illegal about what you are doing as its not been enforced and you pay the overstaying fees and that’s fine. Just because some Dominican lawyers says that’s illegal does not mean it is. Obviously the Dominican lawyer wants to sell the residency deal. That’s how they make a living. Just like they will tell you what you have to do when starting a business because thats Dominican law and you think oh I better do that then until you realize to late you are put at a huge disadvantage. I also doubt the DR is suddenly going to round up people who are productive and contribute to economy and deport them. Especially not now. It would be very stupid.
I don't know where you live but if they started deporting overstaying foreigners all those condos in piantini and naco would be empty. Hell most are only half full now. But that's another topic.

GusFring

Apr 15, 2020
This article goes into it more. It addresses paying the police more money so they are proud to wear the uniform and exact the immigration laws.

It addresses getting illegal guns off the streets.

So maybe more road stops where they are looking for illegals(Haitians), guns and drugs.

Abinader is all about the mighty Tourismo dollar as well.

Again, this has ZERO to do with the overstay fee.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't they round up a bunch of
tourist/ overstayers a few years ago? I also recall the Minister
of Tourism issuing an apology to those who were caught up
in that fiasco.
Yes I have my folding lawn chair and popcorn ready to watch the next Gringo roundup go by in a hot bus with bars on the windows.
Tourism is on a ventilator now, but they just need a couple more nails to seal the coffin.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
You are 100% wrong.

Paying a fee upon leaving does not mean that the stay was legal. This is stated on the Migracion website
Not 100% correct even by your own interpretation of the law. Example:If a person came here and stayed 32 days, how many days was that person "illegal" and subject to the fee AND further penalties under the law?

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
If
This article goes into it more. It addresses paying the police more money so they are proud to wear the uniform and exact the immigration laws.

So maybe more road stops where they are looking for illegals(Haitians), guns and drugs.

Again, this has ZERO to do with the overstay fee. If

These promises are a display of bravado. Every new government does this. The new broom effect I mentioned in a previous post. Paying police more will not result in a more concerted effort to catch overstayers. A political resolution is what’s required. If Abinader truly has the interests of all DR tourists at heart, he will ensure checks and balances are in place to protect them. The pandemic was partially responsible for the downfall of the current government, along with chronic corruption and a significant rise in the cost of living coupled with increased taxes. The new government will lose popularity very quickly and face the same political storm if they don’t focus solely on a more effective response to the DR pandemic problem. Remember the old adage about being up to your ass in alligators because you forgot to drain the swamp. The new government is about to step into the pandemic swamp. Let’s see what happens. Personally I would be pleased to be able to get a six month visa instead of paying overstay fees but I’m content to pay the fees until something better comes along.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Abinader, I'm sure will address how to draw and KEEP tourists. After all, that would be a win win for him now, and after he leaves office. I can't see any downside for him to do it and do it right.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Not 100% correct even by your own interpretation of the law. Example:If a person came here and stayed 32 days, how many days was that person "illegal" and subject to the fee AND further penalties under the law?
Some people obviously do not want to understand by taking the time to read the DR immigration law , which has NO mention of overstay fees, and also the link I posted to the DR Migracion web site about the overstay fees which explains how paying them does not make an overstay legal, so here is a real world example you might be able to relate to:

If you pay to park for one hour and you leave your car parked for one hour and one minute, for how long is your car parked illegally?
The government keeps track of how long you stay and will make you pay for that extra minute. Perhaps you leave the car for a long time and the
charges add up. Then you eventually pay the money for that overparking. Was your car legally parked for that one minute after that one hour? Did paying the parking fine make your entire time of parking legal?

The vast majority of people who enter the DR who are not already on the island of Hispaniola arrive using a tourist card they paid for in their flight cost which allows them to stay legally for 30 days. (Why do you think they put a time limit on that? Hmm, could be because you are illegal if you stay longer, no?) If they stay for 31 days for how many days were they illegal? If they stay even longer than 1 day there is a fee schedule and the charges add up. When those people leave the DR, they pay money for that overstay. Were they legally in the DR after 30 days? Does the paying of money when they leave make the entire time they stayed in the DR legal?

I understand the scenarios are not exactly equivalent because the amounts paid for overparking are part of the laws, while the amount paid for overstaying in the DR are not part of the laws. To answer your question, a person who arrives on a tourist card for 30 days and takes no other action to be legal is illegal on day 31 and all subsequent days.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017

I agree 100 % DR needs all the help it can get... can you image if they deport all the over stayers there would be no one here ....who is going to finish building all the projects if they deport all the Haitians ... what about all the VZ .... just don't see it happening...

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017

Again, this has ZERO to do with the overstay fee.

Your right MR Fring

Status
Not open for further replies.