No collard greens in Puerto Plata

Jan 3, 2003
cabbage and turnip soup? in poland we have a sauerkraut soup - kapuśniak - and i make it here whenever we manage to find sauerkraut. in some eastern european countries fresh cabbage is used.
Kapusniak - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The reason I mention cabbage and turnip soup is that I am reading a book titled,"Survival in Auschwitz" by Primo Levi and it states how the inmates were given that soup. Since Auschwitz is in Poland I thought that was a soup common there. Of course the story is how Primo, an Italian Jew, survives a concentration camp and the atrocities committed on the Jews.

do not think you will find it anywhere in DR apart from our home :) there is, i hear, a small cafe run by polaks in cabarete, on kite beach. there is a group of polish surfers living in that area. maybe they have some polish dishes?
i can post the recipe, if you want. otherwise let me know if you ever visit POP and i will try to make some - providing i find sauerkraut in playero. last time we went there we bought nearly every jar they had :)

Thanks, when I'm in town I'll let you know. I love all things bitter or sour or vinegary or of a brine solution or spicy or any combination thereof. I checked out that dish on the link you provided and it looks delicious. Sauerkraut is excellent that's for sure. I forgot to add in pickling as a process. I like that too.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Listen boys be wary of chinola. According to Dominican men, you can eat the fruit but if you drink the juice it will make you impotent.

Just saying! More for us girls.

Matilda

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Listen boys be wary of chinola. According to Dominican men, you can eat the fruit but if you drink the juice it will make you impotent.

Just saying! More for us girls.

Matilda

I heard this too...
This is why I consider Dominican women are smarter then men...
I would never have relationship/friendship that will last past the metered time...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
The reason I mention cabbage and turnip soup is that I am reading a book titled,"Survival in Auschwitz" by Primo Levi and it states how the inmates were given that soup. Since Auschwitz is in Poland I thought that was a soup common there.

oh, that. my understanding is that food in concentration camps was a question of what was cheap and easily available. hence turnips that could last fresh throughout the winter... from what i read it was basically water with pieces of vegetable in it and maybe a bit of fat, nothing filling. usually it would arrive to the block in a huge pot. it would not be mixed so whatever vegetables were there would collect down the bottom, with flavoured water on the top. unimportant, simple inmates would get fed from the top, often liquid only, with not even one piece of a vegetable. privileged group would be fed thick stuff from the bottom of the pot. so no, not a traditional dish. more like prison grub.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
If true, then thats probably how the impotent myth started. As everyone knows, a primary component of good sex is a hefty supply of blood to the manparts