No date to decide yet on when to end the school year

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Antonio-Peña-Mirabal-El-Dia-1024x658.jpg
Antonio Peña Mirabal / El Día

Education Minister Antonio Peña Mirabal says the government will wait to convene the National Education Council (CNE) to decide on the school year. In an interview with Huchi Lora and Amelia Deschamps for El Dia TV, Peña Mirabal spoke up against closing the school year now. He said the school year does not officially end until mid-June.

He said the authorities have discussed different alternatives. He said students are benefiting from online classes over the Ministry of Education virtual education platforms. Private schools have also established online platforms to continue classes.

Peña Mirabal understands it would do more damage to close the school year now because the virtual classes are keeping the students busy while they remain at home during the present lockdown due to the coronavirus epidemic.

In the Dominican Republic, classes closed on 12 March in order to give way to the celebration of the municipal elections. Several schools in the country are used as polling places.

When the coronavirus epidemic escalated, the government called a state of emergency situation and ordered the schools not to reopen. That means, students have been at home for more than a month now.

Education Minister Peña Mirabal acknowledges that 70% of the curriculum had been covered at the time of the stopping of classes. He favors awaiting the development of events to determine what will be done with the 2019-2020 school year.

He did say that private schools operate as businesses. Nevertheless, when asked about schools that had cancelled access to virtual platforms to students with tuition was in arrears, he said that satisfactory agreements had been reached for both parties in those cases.

The minister says that private schools have their own contractual relationships with the parents. Nevertheless, a constitutional ruling (TC-0058/13) establishes that lack of payment of tuition cannot be used to penalize children in any way.

Read more in Spanish:Hoy Listin Diario

22 April 2020

Last edited by a moderator:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
We have had about 1/3 of parents pay their March monthly payment, and a little less the April payment. Difficult situation- contractually they are obligated to pay 9 monthly payments, and many of our clients normally receive remittances to pay for the education. Teachers still have to be paid, along with SS, Medical and taxes. Many of out teachers have had to buy internet packages to be able to teach from home( we will pay that as well) So lots of money out , and not nearly as much in. About 60 percent of our students are receiving schoolwork by various methods, video conference, Facebook messenger, or whatsapp. Many parents don't have internet in their homes.

Sep 22, 2009
We have had about 1/3 of parents pay their March monthly payment, and a little less the April payment. Difficult situation- contractually they are obligated to pay 9 monthly payments, and many of our clients normally receive remittances to pay for the education. Teachers still have to be paid, along with SS, Medical and taxes. Many of out teachers have had to buy internet packages to be able to teach from home( we will pay that as well) So lots of money out , and not nearly as much in. About 60 percent of our students are receiving schoolwork by various methods, video conference, Facebook messenger, or whatsapp. Many parents don't have internet in their homes.
Tough racket Bob. Good luck on that.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009

Interesting on the ground report. I suspect it would be probably worse for public schools.

To your knowledge, have remittances been affected yet ? I don't recall seeing any data yet.

Sep 22, 2009
Interesting on the ground report. I suspect it would be probably worse for public schools.

To your knowledge, have remittances been affected yet ? I don't recall seeing any data yet.
I use Xoom a lot through my PayPal. No issues only waiting at bank. That is Red BHD, btw, no idea about Caribe Xpress or vimenca

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
My kid went to Luis hess in sosua until the government shutdown. I haven't heard a word from them yet. I sent a message on their facebook page weeks ago and got no response. I cant teach my kid,, Spanish is not my first language not to mention I don't have any credentials to do so.
What a crappy school. In my experience with them 2 different times they called me to pickup my child because they failed to notify me that it was a short day. On another occaision they did not tell me that she fell at school playing and vomited and later in class she was let to sleep. She slept most of the afternoon at home, very unusual for her. My daughter told me this when she got home after she woke. The school director told me after I demanded answers that she seemed ok and that is why I was not notified.
From day one my daughter didn't like the school but I told her she would get used to it. Needless to say she wont be going back to this place...

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I'm teaching my kid now. He is supposed to be in the 9th grade. He reads Spanish at about a 6th grade level and does math at about a 4th or 5th grade level. He has always gone to government schools in Haiti and in RD. His 30 something brother whom we are helping is illiterate. However he does do good construction work.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
We , for example had/have no online program for teaching our students. Clients pay between 1700-1850 pesos per month because the majority of our clients are working class ( hairdressers, bank tellers, taxi drivers, small business people....etc) with a few richer people. We have a number of parents in our grade five classes that haven't paid or even phoned to say they cant pay, yet their children are receiving instruction and classes online or via phone. Those parents will not be accepted next year.

Sep 22, 2009
We , for example had/have no online program for teaching our students. Clients pay between 1700-1850 pesos per month because the majority of our clients are working class ( hairdressers, bank tellers, taxi drivers, small business people....etc) with a few richer people. We have a number of parents in our grade five classes that haven't paid or even phoned to say they cant pay, yet their children are receiving instruction and classes online or via phone. Those parents will not be accepted next year.
Where is your school

Aug 6, 2006
All the schools in Barahona are closed. There is some form of distance learning going on. My girlfriend's oldest daughter completed HS in Barahona, the first in her family to do so about a month or so, but she had to pay $5000 to graduate, no reason given. She paid the money, but no date for a graduation has been announced.

Aug 21, 2007
I work in 8 schools in the campos of Jamao. Our kids are POOR! Some areas do not have internet. Very few have computers or devices on which they can access lessons online. These families have work for a few hours in the morning to put food on the table later in the day. That is all they have.

CNN had an article today about districts doing distance learning right now, proposing that it is widening the educational gap between the rich and poor. I have to agree with this article based on where we are and what we are doing. I imagine throughout the DR this is also the case, especially outside the cities and towns.

So much is being lost financially, personally, and educationally during this time. My humble opinion is that they should have offered distance learning, but not give grades, as if it were extra-curricular learning. Doing so, consider the school year closed and start everyone fresh with equal opportunities in August.

Lindsey

althebeast

Mar 26, 2020
La Romana
Everyone is happy that there are no schools right now, but they'll cut the 3 months of summer time and I think there'll school everyday after this virus stuff.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I work in 8 schools in the campos of Jamao. Our kids are POOR! Some areas do not have internet. Very few have computers or devices on which they can access lessons online. These families have work for a few hours in the morning to put food on the table later in the day. That is all they have.

CNN had an article today about districts doing distance learning right now, proposing that it is widening the educational gap between the rich and poor. I have to agree with this article based on where we are and what we are doing. I imagine throughout the DR this is also the case, especially outside the cities and towns.

So much is being lost financially, personally, and educationally during this time. My humble opinion is that they should have offered distance learning, but not give grades, as if it were extra-curricular learning. Doing so, consider the school year closed and start everyone fresh with equal opportunities in August.

Lindsey
I agree, the classes, homework we are giving is just an attempt to maintain the status quo, to keep the challenged from falling farther back or going in reverse. My wife does daily reading and dictation with a couple of dozen kids. Some kids are actually doing better in their house, perhaps because they are getting more sleep and are more relaxed.

Reactions: Angelx

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com

Lindsey

What are you doing with your schools now?

Aug 21, 2007
What are you doing with your schools now?

Nothing. Schools are closed and we are not permitted to work with the children.

When this first hit, we produced an information sheet and paquetes of hand sanitizer, hand wipes, and bleach and delivered them house to house of all our students. We explained about the virus and how to protect yourself and your family. We gave the information to the children because most their parents are unable to read. We count on the children to teach their parents. Ok

Later we delivered emergency food packets to the areas most isolated who were not receiving any other aide.

Aside from that, there is nothing we can currently do.

Lindsey

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Nothing. Schools are closed and we are not permitted to work with the children.

When this first hit, we produced an information sheet and paquetes of hand sanitizer, hand wipes, and bleach and delivered them house to house of all our students. We explained about the virus and how to protect yourself and your family. We gave the information to the children because most their parents are unable to read. We count on the children to teach their parents. Ok

Later we delivered emergency food packets to the areas most isolated who were not receiving any other aide.

Aside from that, there is nothing we can currently do.

Lindsey

Thanks. I'm searching for good ideas for here in Boca Chica.

Angelx

Jan 15, 2020
DR
I agree, the classes, homework we are giving is just an attempt to maintain the status quo, to keep the challenged from falling farther back or going in reverse. My wife does daily reading and dictation with a couple of dozen kids. Some kids are actually doing better in their house, perhaps because they are getting more sleep and are more relaxed.
Hello Bob, where do you teach? What schools?