No guards - No gates?

Joah

Feb 15, 2004
pati said:
Joah,
I know how you feel. I asked the same question on my last visit to DR. They did show me some place in Santo Dominigo but they were multi million dollar houses on some cliff. Way out of my league. There's plenty more places I haven't seen yet in DR so I can't say that a nice, safe, middle class, non gated, non guarded place doesn't exist but it looks doubtful.

Dear Pati,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I agree they always show the out of the league areas first. It's just a ploy to make everything else you look at less appealing.

I just don't want to see people so afraid (of loss) that their only alternative is guards and gates.

I will continue my search.

Joah

Joah

Feb 15, 2004
XanaduRanch said:
I now have a minimum of two guys who work for me here at all times. One prowls the grounds at night, the other is here during the day. They both have two-way radios, a machete, and cans of pepper spray. I keep the shotgun. Anyone drops by univited by climbing the fence, and I mean anyone they have orders to hold them, and if they don't stop they will be pepper sprayed and sat on until the police get there. Which here in the hinterlands could be a little while!

I actually have more trouble with stupid Gringos than with any Dominicans oddly enough. Some people are just hard-headed.

Both these guys have their own rooms at opposite ends of the house to be able to hear things in different places. We haven't got good dogs yet, but we have one mid-sized and four little ones who are quite vocal. We also set up some very simple alarms. Motion sensor lights in parallel tied to howling 300 peso 12V car alarms. Lights are active all day. We have a switch to throw the siren in line at night.

But nothing, and I mean nothing, beats a couple pairs of eyes walking around the property. Most would be burglars see that and just move on to the next place.

Tom aka XR Thou shalt not weigh more than thy refrigerator.

Dear Xanadu Ranch,

Thank you for the information. Everyone here has been very helpful by providing their insite. Apparently this is a growing concern that is affecting many different areas of the world.

Joah :disappoin

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Joah

Joah said:
Thank you for the information. Everyone here has been very helpful by providing their insite. Apparently this is a growing concern that is affecting many different areas of the world.
Please don't get the wrong idea.

That's easy to do hearing what we go through for security, or to at least feel secure here sometimes. The thing is, here in the DR, we, well most of us who have any sense anyway, take responsibility for our own lives. There's a lot of stuff in the U.S. or Europe that's just expected, or taken for granted. You're not any safer really. Just relying on a government entity like the police. Personally I prefer hiring guys I know to watch out for our family.

Also, you have to keep in mind that old Baldy has run the country into the ground! People are in bad shape compared to when I first came here 4 years ago. And, the average, middle class European, or American, makes 100x what the average Dominican does. I spend something like 500x the monthly salary of a policeman in Santo Domingo, and probably walk around everyday with at least 5x his salary in my wallet on a bad day. That disparity means you have to watch out for yourself. If you carried that much more money than everyone else on the street in your home country you'd have to, too. No difference!

So, come on down, don't be stupid. Arrange for whatever works for you, there are lots of possibilities. But do something. It doesn't mean you're living in a prison - it means you're not just another stupid Gringo!

Tom aka XR I am ROOT. Obey me!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Joah, thanks for the interesting 1oo posts that you have put up this afternoon. They were so exciting that my PC froze from excitment.
I hope next time you can learn to put all your "one liner" posts in one single post. believe me, we have seen worse nonsense than you can come up with. Don;t worry about boring us here in DR1, we all have no life besides posting and reading garbage like your posts up there.
Have a nice day.
AZB

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
XanaduRanch said:
So, come on down, don't be stupid. Arrange for whatever works for you, there are lots of possibilities. But do something. It doesn't mean you're living in a prison - it means you're not just another stupid Gringo!

Good point, XR. I don't understand the hang up re "gated communities". Like you, I hope this doesn't mean trusting entirely to luck.

There are lots of things that potential home or apartment buyerSshould take into mind, and if they rule out looking in "gated communities" because the neighborhood has a fence around it they are making a serious mistake. For example, is the man coming alone or with a wife, or a wife a children? Will the the wife/children feel safe when the man is away from home? Are there woman nearby the wife can socialize with? What about access to friends and playmates for the children? Is the family prepared to handle all the problems with respect to electricity, water, etc., etc.?

And what about security, especially at night? Only the foolish ignore this in a country were some people are desperately poor.

There are lots of reasons for choosing one neighborhood over another. None are perfect in every respect. But if the only thing wrong is a fence and guards at the gate, that is a poor reason to reject that neighborhood.

Last edited:

bigD

Aug 11, 2003
Any suggestions for gated or non-gated communities in or around Santiago? We have kids and want them safe at all times, and need a fence 'cause every kid deserves a puppy ... or two gaurd dogs.

BigD

Joah

Feb 15, 2004
XanaduRanch said:
Please don't get the wrong idea.

That's easy to do hearing what we go through for security, or to at least feel secure here sometimes. The thing is, here in the DR, we, well most of us who have any sense anyway, take responsibility for our own lives. There's a lot of stuff in the U.S. or Europe that's just expected, or taken for granted. You're not any safer really. Just relying on a government entity like the police. Personally I prefer hiring guys I know to watch out for our family.

Also, you have to keep in mind that old Baldy has run the country into the ground! People are in bad shape compared to when I first came here 4 years ago. And, the average, middle class European, or American, makes 100x what the average Dominican does. I spend something like 500x the monthly salary of a policeman in Santo Domingo, and probably walk around everyday with at least 5x his salary in my wallet on a bad day. That disparity means you have to watch out for yourself. If you carried that much more money than everyone else on the street in your home country you'd have to, too. No difference!

Tom aka XR I am ROOT. Obey me!

Dear Xanadu Ranch,

No offense taken. I accept all input without prejudice. I ask questions so that I may learn not to be another stupid Gringo. I was seeking information on alternatives to a guard-gated community.
I understand that "walls do not a prison make nor iron bars a cage", and I have learned never to take anything for granted.

Thank you...Joah

Joah

Feb 15, 2004
AZB said:
Joah, thanks for the interesting 1oo posts that you have put up this afternoon. They were so exciting that my PC froze from excitment.
I hope next time you can learn to put all your "one liner" posts in one single post. believe me, we have seen worse nonsense than you can come up with. Don;t worry about boring us here in DR1, we all have no life besides posting and reading garbage like your posts up there.
Have a nice day.
AZB

Dear AZB,

I'll gladly admit that I am not as computer literate as most who post here. As a novice I will seek the knowledge to put everything on one post. Therefore I will not be responsible for your PC freezing-up from all the excitement. As far as my nonsense, boring, and garbage postings go....you can surely choose not to read them...correct?
You havae a nice day also.
Joah

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
Sometimes the truth stings a bit. ABZ did hit the nail right on the head. Travel around a bit to get the real flavor of the island. Most people try to compare foreign countries to their place of birth. If you wanted that, you can simply stay home.

Personally even santiago is a bit too built up. I'm thinking of venturing out into the country side in the next few years.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Gringo in DR, you have the right idea on your mind. Get out of the touristy areas and discover the real dominican republic. There are towns like Jarabacoa with its natural beautiful rivers and waterfalls waiting to be discovered by foreigners. Take a drive around the island and feel the natural air and see what is hidden from the eyes of a traveling gringo.
Go towards Bonao but before you get there, take the first entrance into bonao and ask around for the river and the salto (water fall). I think its called masi pedro. There is a water fall but you would have to walk and hike huge rocks for 20-30 mins. Then the adventurist trip will end in front of a beautiful waterfall that will sink into your memories forever. The water is fresh enough for drinking. Its all natural and a virgin place. Dominicans are to drunk to reach the waterfall point, if they try, they will certainly fall and break every bone in their bodies. Brugal and climbing huge rocks don't go well together. Go to los Montones and discover the hot and cold river. Take a trip to janico and enjoy a lovely afternoon by rio Bao (river). There you would find many family folks cooking up a whole pig. If you talk to them, they will not let you go hungry. You would have to eat and drink with them until you pass out or too full to stand up.
Then we have small cities like Moca and la vega. The people there are simply wonderful and extremely hospitable. If you end up in a farmer's house by any chance, chances are you will leave a car trunk full of fresh fruits and veggies. All for free. these people are the real dominicans and are only found in the real dominican republic.
I can list dozens of places all over the map but then I would be giving away my secret hide-outs. If santiagueros find out I am giving away some sacred places to all, they just might kick my butt. So I will shut up for now.
have a nice day.
AZB

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
Unfortunately I haven't gotten much free time to go exploring. But I definately want my own peice of paradise.

Mar 21, 2002
AZB speaketh the truth about the N. Coast. It's basically a refueling spot for wandering pirates. El Cibao is better than the capital and all the DR put together. It's all a polluted smokestack carcinogenic shoebox construction site while the lush green vegetation, the wavelike motion of the rice fields in an afternoon breeze and the kind loving simple folk is incomparable anywhere in the DR. Capitalenos are obstinate, obtuse and obfuscated regimented neanderthals driven by madness who only lust after power and position.

XR, I'm seriously sorry you have to live with such protection. It must surely be nerve-wracking to always have to look over your back as if it was on the open range in 19th century wild america. I'm sorry.

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
AZB said:
Gringo in DR, you have the right idea on your mind. Get out of the touristy areas and discover the real dominican republic. There are towns like Jarabacoa with its natural beautiful rivers and waterfalls waiting to be discovered by foreigners. Take a drive around the island and feel the natural air and see what is hidden from the eyes of a traveling gringo.
Go towards Bonao but before you get there, take the first entrance into bonao and ask around for the river and the salto (water fall). I think its called masi pedro. There is a water fall but you would have to walk and hike huge rocks for 20-30 mins. Then the adventurist trip will end in front of a beautiful waterfall that will sink into your memories forever. The water is fresh enough for drinking. Its all natural and a virgin place. Dominicans are to drunk to reach the waterfall point, if they try, they will certainly fall and break every bone in their bodies. Brugal and climbing huge rocks don't go well together. Go to los Montones and discover the hot and cold river. Take a trip to janico and enjoy a lovely afternoon by rio Bao (river). There you would find many family folks cooking up a whole pig. If you talk to them, they will not let you go hungry. You would have to eat and drink with them until you pass out or too full to stand up.
Then we have small cities like Moca and la vega. The people there are simply wonderful and extremely hospitable. If you end up in a farmer's house by any chance, chances are you will leave a car trunk full of fresh fruits and veggies. All for free. these people are the real dominicans and are only found in the real dominican republic.
I can list dozens of places all over the map but then I would be giving away my secret hide-outs. If santiagueros find out I am giving away some sacred places to all, they just might kick my butt. So I will shut up for now.
have a nice day.
AZB

Great post AZB. This is the DR I got to know while roaming the campos installing solar systems. Tom F.

reoz

Feb 10, 2002
AZB, you certainly have some kind of an inferiority complex, every other word is gringo. In fact you don't sound Dominican, you express your self more as a pro Castro Cuban living in the D.R.
Have a great day...

REOZ...

AZB said:
I live in santiago, far far away from the self-imprisoned gringos in the north coast. This is the real dominican republic as opposed to sosua, cabarete. These places shouldn't be even called dominican republic as the majority of people there are foreigners. The dominicans who are found in such places are domestic workers, hookers and pimps. There isn't a decent dominican in site for miles. The prices are expensive for real estate and the restaurant charge as though they are still in miami. In simple terms you people are getting ripped off there. Many foreigners are acting like the puerto plata low life dominicans there, ex: if you want any information from them, you would have to buy them drinks, feed them in a restaurant first or bring them gifts from USA, canada before you get a word out of their mouths. Often times these foreigners have business plans for you that will benefit them first, without having to put in a penny from their side. There are alot of foreigners who act like sankies and leeches in the north coast area. Most ex-pats are old and drunks who spend time with hookers (or ex-hookers).
All in all, north coast is disgusting and should not be considered a part of DR. There is no dominican culture to be found there except for the hooker culture. Some people claim that the north coast is booming and that businesses are making money. I was there over the long weekend and saw no trace of that. Many restaurants / bars are empty even on weekends. I just don't know how they make ends meet. I was complaining in santiago, but it seems I make more money in a day than many bars make in a week there.
Does anyone ever consider living in Jarabacoa for a change? I mean, do you gringos ever get to leave cabarete or sosua for a while and see other places on this island? I don't mean going away to santo domingo to renew your residency; that doesn't count.
Have a nice day.
AZB

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Save It.

Onions&carrots said:
XR, I'm seriously sorry you have to live with such protection. It must surely be nerve-wracking to always have to look over your back as if it was on the open range in 19th century wild america. I'm sorry.
You may be sorry, but that's not my fault.

But seriously, this is a fundamental misunderstanding of how people who choose to take control over their lives feel and think, by those who rely on 'society' to do things for them. That's not meant as an insult. If I had the time or inclination to contemplate anyone else's life, I'd honestly feel sorry for you.

The lack of control! The idea that someone else held in their hands the power of food, housing, money, taxes, insurance, and especially the very security of myself or my family would be intolerable! I could never ever in a million bazillion years live happily like that!

I like my freedom! I love it! I don't feel the least little bit intimidated or inprisoned because I have folks here who are part of my extended family who I can trust to watch over us. The only ones who mayhap feel intimidated is any ladrone who is thinking of invading my little world.

Tom aka XR I'm writing a book. So far I've got the page numbers done.

Joah

Feb 15, 2004
To All:

Regarding my original post:

Because I would not feel the comfort that others would...by living in a guard-gated community...I was simply trying to find others who have found a less "guarded lifestyle" on the North Coast.

Yes, we all take security precautions...that's a no brainer. I was just seeking alternatives to living in a guard-gated community and if it was possible...what precautions were taken.

Thanks...Joah

maggiemay

Aug 31, 2002
I live outside a gated community in Puerto Plata. My house is walled off and I have three dogs (though the teacup poodle doesn't really count as a guard dog). Metal bars on all windows and patio doors. In the 17 years here I've only been nearly broken into once (we arrived home while the thieves were on the balcony trying to get in) and that was when I lived in Costambar for a few years. I make sure that I tell people that I never have money in the house, that includes neighbours,workmen etc just to get the word around...you never know who will get to hear this info from someone else afterall. I also have outside lights all around the house.

Hope that answers you question
Maggiemay

x_man

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
To each his own

Contrary to my friend azb, I am pleasantly surprised to find, that the police chief had a change of heart and lets the dominicans I care most about freely walk the streets of sosua again.
azb go frolic under the waterfalls.
greetings x_man

Mar 21, 2002
how can all of you live like that? guards, gates, security contingencies, bars, alarms, bats, guns, knives, having to tell people you don't have money. do you guys call that paradise? if i were you guys i would sell and hightail it back to your country of origin. how horrible having to look over your back all the time. why?

todo los extranjeros en rd son masoquista'

Last edited: