No guards - No gates?

Mar 21, 2002
It is funny Itsynder but he has made some valid points. That's true police reports are made up if they have a typewriter. Hahaha. Yet this reminds me a fuuny incident.

I remember once I was in Tenares in O&C alter ego. I was with an uncle of mine who also enjoys simplicity at times. We have a beat-up 1980 toyota pickup which we use for these escapades. At other times we'll just take a bus, concho, burro or walking. It's hilarious.

There was a foreigner in and around the roads leading out of Tenares which head into Puerto Plata. It's a very beautiful scenery with lush vegetation, towering pine trees and picturesque wildlife. We couldn't spoil it with jeepetas and ostentatious displays of wealth. We didn't want the locals to refer to us as don and all that nonsense. We wanted to blend in. It was to be enjoyed in all simplicity and humility. Well to make a long story short we offered assistance. The foreigner seemed to be Italian judging from his accent. He was lost.

Instead of heeding our aid, this foreigner was giving us a long drawn out sermon of what was wrong in the DR and how it could be remedied. It's what you touch upon Itsynder. I just looked, laughed and we left by saying "adio, Don" Most Dominicans find my antics silly and others admire my freedom. They've personally told me they would love to be like me but SOCIETY impinges and dictates their social mores.

So what's the moral of the story.
1) You never know who's next to you.
2)People generally enjoy telling others what to do and if they have money all the more so.

Joah

Feb 15, 2004
Tom (XR)

Tom, :laugh:
Your post about the road to Xanadu reminded me of the time I became lost on the island. I found myself on a dirt road, no signs, no sign of civilization, just more dirt roads. Finally, far ahead in the distance I saw an elderly man walking. Ok, at first I thought I was hallucinating...seeing a walking umbrella.
Not being fluent in the native language, and after much sign language, a deal was made. If I drove him to work...he would give me directions...out of the cane fields. Guess where he worked? Also, I believe, "trust me, you cannot get lost on an island", were the last words I heard from the car rental agent.

After seeing the cane workers using machetes, I was considering getting one specifically for security reasons. I wonder if they are easy to throw?

P.S. I would be glad to bring you and Alba anything that is not readily available. No problem.

Joah

hexebc

Mar 22, 2004
pati said:
Joah,
I know how you feel. I asked the same question on my last visit to DR. They did show me some place in Santo Dominigo but they were multi million dollar houses on some cliff. Way out of my league. There's plenty more places I haven't seen yet in DR so I can't say that a nice, safe, middle class, non gated, non guarded place doesn't exist but it looks doubtful.

Have you actually bought any real estate in DR or are you just looking. My husband and I have decided to fly over from Vancouver, Can. and check out some of the advertised places. Houses/condos. I have been looking at the north cost as prices seem to be more down to earth. I would like to talk/write to someone who has lived in DR for some time and really experienced the island.

hexebc

Mar 22, 2004
No guards - no gates

I would like to hear from anybody who has recently bought real estate on the north coast. I've been searching for a house/condo around sosua, because some canadian friends recommended the area. Now, after reading some of the postings, I'm a bit unsure. We (hubby and I) are making plans to spend 2 weeks in September/Octobe in the DR and would like to get into contact with people prior. I have seen houses advertised in Sosua (gated) for around 110,000 US. Has anyone any ideas about the RCL development. Some of the houses are called Colibri.

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
Hex - 4 of us DR1ers own vacation villas in Casa Linda. You can PM me with questions.

Jan

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Hexebc

Jan's my firend but she's still an old crab, and her hubby, Glow Worm, too. Don't listen to anything they have to say about Casa Linda. :: smile ::

After Jan and friends have shown you around a gated place, come up and visit Xanadu for a walk on the wild side. Or ask Escott or Ken for a tour of the condo for something in between. There are lots of options.

When you are here just call me at 809-975-6029 and I'll show you all. Even introduce you to Scotty ...

Tom aka XR A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand.

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
And Xanadu is OUR friend, but he's the resident psycho - so if you go to his ranch --- you maaaay neeeever commmmme backkkkkkkkk. :p

Mar 21, 2002
pati said:
The story as I know it. The guy that was killed had a criminal record and the incident was deemed self defense.From what I hear it's not unusual to pay a little something while being detained (Dominican or Non Dominican) but there have been no other payments made.

Don't worry, when their money spigot dries up, they'll be eyeing your friend. He's been lucky up to now. Time will tell.

Buck69

Jul 29, 2004
guns

I keep hearing about the shotgun.. I was wondering how easy it is to buy a shotgun, how much they cost and would it be better for me to bring one on the plane with me if I were to stay a couple of months out of the year in an appartment in the DR? Or is the shotgun not necessary? Also, wouldnt they throw you in jail for killing a person for climbing a fence?

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I feel safer in Sosua

Can't say about Santiago, but I just got back from S/D where i went to renew my residency. Most of the people I saw in the evening-night (including myself and a friend) were "Packing" . I never had to do that in Sosua. I prefer Sosua any day. As for the hookers, they're everywhere in the country. Probably more expensive in the capital. I know the hotels and restaurants are. Of course you're paying for quality.
Oh yea, If I could afford it, I would like to try living in a "Gated Community" Not for safety purposes just that everything is organized for you. Not sure I would like it but worth a try. Must be getting lazy in my old years.

Last edited: