No More Bohemia Beer?

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
Ok I just spoke with a friend who works at the Cerveceria here in POP ( As this was a worrisome turn of events ) . He told me that they are in the process of eliminating the Bohemia brand in small and Jumbo bottles only. The regular Grandes will continue. They are also cutting back with promotion of the brand and only going to be supplying it to areas where the demand is high.....but the brand will not be disappearing for the foreseeable future according to him....but he just works there and is not privy to inside information but he told me that he would have heard about if they were cutting the brand off completely.

Thank Goodness as I almost had my world turned upside down.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Why is Quisqueya beer so hard to find in much of the country?

It was available two for 100 pesos on at Voyvoy on Cabarete beach last week. It was the first time I tried it and at that price I may try to get used to it if the offer is ongoing.

Tons of Presidente Grandes are sold here in Cabarete. It would be a great shame if the brewers abandoned such a popular brand just to force us to drink the more expensive, worse tasting Presidente.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
And don't take my word on Brahma :

Brahma | Companhia Cervejaria Brahma | BeerAdvocate

It has a rating of 58 -Awful

Remember when InBev spent a ridiculous amount of money acquiring this brand and then marketed the crap out of it in North America (as, like, a Corona competitor) and it flopped?

I suspect one of the reasons that happened is that this stuff is arguably even worse than Corona. Corona is at least tasteless, where as this has a taste--it's just a borderline offensive one.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
This review of Brahma is my favorite:

looks ok smell very weak but it taste like **** and give you aches over all your body, because is rejecting it, the worst beer i tasted in my short life.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Why is Quisqueya beer so hard to find in much of the country?

Because it tastes like ****. I just read your first comments about beer Xavier and concurred completely so I'll assume that you never tried Quisqueya (I can't even refer to it as beer).

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Frosted Presipi$$

They are also cutting back with promotion of the brand and only going to be supplying it to areas where the demand is high.....but the brand will not be disappearing for the foreseeable future according to him...

Bohemia was never promoted the same as Presipi$$.
That's most likely the reason why Presipi$$ is more expensive, as their advertisements, promotional tours, and events (concerts) have to be paid by the customer... ;)
Also the chemicals (glycol ?) add to the bill... :paranoid: :paranoid:

http://foodbabe.com/2013/07/17/the-shocking-ingredients-in-beer/

donP

Aug 6, 2006
I have tried Quesqueya, but it was ages ago, and I am sure I would not recall the exact taste.
The all time worst beer I have ever drank was Schlitz lite in cans that had been riding around in the trunk of my car all summer.
Brahma is not at all great, but I am not an expert on beer.

Quesqueya is made in a small brewery in La Vega and they probably do not have the capacity to distribute throughout the country.

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
over twenty yrs. ago quesqueya was the beer of choice for a lot of expats in the pop area because you never got a skunky one and they were cheaper, a lot of the A1 hotels serve it

Alexandradebrian

Jun 8, 2013
The only problem with beer in the DR is most have never drunk the real thing. You cannot beat a pint of cellar temperature real English bitter. The stuff they sell in the DR tastes like frozen ............

SkyBlues

Apr 8, 2011
Quesqueya is made in a small brewery in La Vega and they probably do not have the capacity to distribute throughout the country.

The owners of the brewery also own the popular bar Puerta del Sol near the monument n Santiago, it's the only beer they sell there. It does not taste good.

Serge1960

Apr 2, 2014
Ok I just spoke with a friend who works at the Cerveceria here in POP ( As this was a worrisome turn of events ) . He told me that they are in the process of eliminating the Bohemia brand in small and Jumbo bottles only. The regular Grandes will continue. They are also cutting back with promotion of the brand and only going to be supplying it to areas where the demand is high.....but the brand will not be disappearing for the foreseeable future according to him....but he just works there and is not privy to inside information but he told me that he would have heard about if they were cutting the brand off completely.

Thank Goodness as I almost had my world turned upside down.

Good Intel...... Thanks

SkyBlues

Apr 8, 2011
Puerta del Sol

Very well to do people go there and they are rarely drinking beer. Wining & Dining is the theme.
This was supposed to be a reply to Bob I lost his quote!

Last edited:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Very well to do people go there and they are rarely drinking beer. Wining & Dining is the theme.
This was supposed to be a reply to Bob I lost his quote!

I was just being sarcastic anyways, I have eaten at the Puerta del Sol. Quesqueya beer has a strong flavor and it's drinkable, but Stella...etc are all available here as well.