No More Free Luggage Carts At SDQ

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Supply and Demand, when the Demand exceeds the Supply, and people dont use them properly, then you have to impose a FEE so people behave.
No one owes anyone a CART .

Reactions: Big

Big

Apr 24, 2019
One of the best values at Santo Dom airport is to hire a baggage porter. They collect all of your luggage and wisk you out of the airport to a professional taxi. I'M gonna take some heat, however I always tip the gentleman 20 U.S (minimum), now it will be 25

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I personally do no think $20-$25 is out of line. I have always had a good experience with the porters. They grab all the bags and get me through the crowds directly to my transportation. For me it is worth it especially coming off a long night/day of flying.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Not sure I understand. Are they charging a porter 450?
Why not tell the porter I'll get a cart and bring it to you to get my bags.

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
Great, DR is hungry for more money and we are their ATM. The fee is way too much and I believe people will not pay for that crap. I'll stick to my carrying my baggage whenever I need to go to, so thank you very much.

Reactions: Farmer

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
Great, DR is hungry for more money and we are their ATM. The fee is way too much and I believe people will not pay for that crap. I'll stick to my carrying my baggage whenever I need to go to, so thank you very much.
And that is your option. There are airports all over the world that charge for cart rental (not porter) so this is not something new. Many people will pay for "that crap" just for the sake of convenience. In respect to using a porter, most are already doing this, meaning many are already "tipping" the porter the said amount.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Well, a little here, a little there. It adds up.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Point of information: The carts at JFK are $6.00. People are accustomed to paying for the carts. I always thought the free carts at Las America were bc they liked my looks...No?

• Haha
Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
One of the best values at Santo Dom airport is to hire a baggage porter. They collect all of your luggage and wisk you out of the airport to a professional taxi. I'M gonna take some heat, however I always tip the gentleman 20 U.S (minimum), now it will be 25
Big---Can you give him 25 for me and just tell him Mr. John is on the way? Hey, you know I'm good for it.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
And that is your option. There are airports all over the world that charge for cart rental (not porter) so this is not something new. Many people will pay for "that crap" just for the sake of convenience. In respect to using a porter, most are already doing this, meaning many are already "tipping" the porter the said amount.
I am sure it is not correct that most people are using a porter already ,definitely not at SDQ . I would say about 10 % at present . I am quite certain that most people arriving at SDQ do not use a taxi but have friends or relations meeting them so I think that in future most people will either pay the 150 pesos or just wheel their bags out themselves. I assume that the carts will be released if you somehow use your credit card and I wonder what problems that will bring in this country of no maintenance. I suppose that soon Jumbo and National and the others will be charging a fee for using the shopping carts.!

Reactions: JD Jones

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
I am sure it is not correct that most people are using a porter already ,definitely not at SDQ . I would say about 10 % at present . I am quite certain that most people arriving at SDQ do not use a taxi but have friends or relations meeting them so I think that in future most people will either pay the 150 pesos or just wheel their bags out themselves. I assume that the carts will be released if you somehow use your credit card and I wonder what problems that will bring in this country of no maintenance. I suppose that soon Jumbo and National and the others will be charging a fee for using the shopping carts.!
I use SDQ quite often and I see much more than 10% using porter services regardless of the type of transportation they are using. Again, other airports (many) charge for carts so I am surprised that this is an issue with some people. It is not always about the negative.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Who is going to return the carts back to the luggage carousel? Presently, if you take a cart out to the yellow cab stand you load up the cab and off you go. They always say to me--leave the cart right there. Now, we have a cart that has been monetize out at the curb. Hmmm, I wonder if a Dominican knows how to recyle those $$$ into his pocket? lol.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I use SDQ quite often and I see much more than 10% using porter services regardless of the type of transportation they are using. Again, other airports (many) charge for carts so I am surprised that this is an issue with some people. It is not always about the negative.
It is not an issue for me at all as I am met at the airport so it had nothing to do with me being positive or negative . I was simply suggesting that most people may be an exaggeration as a figure for people already using the carts. But really how can a change from being free to costing money be anything but a negative for most people , I think everyone liked the free cart except for the airport owners.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Who is going to return the carts back to the luggage carousel? Presently, if you take a cart out to the yellow cab stand you load up the cab and off you go. They always say to me--leave the cart right there. Now, we have a cart that has been monetize out at the curb. Hmmm, I wonder if a Dominican knows how to recyle those $$$ into his pocket? lol.
Seeing that most returning Dominicans always have a massive amount of luggage, I would suspect a family coming to pick them up will be on the lookout for a used cart in the parking lot and offer to.. um "return it to the terminal for them" and then use it for their returning family member.

Reactions: johne

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Seeing that most returning Dominicans always have a massive amount of luggage, I would suspect a family coming to pick them up will be on the lookout for a used cart in the parking lot and offer to.. um "return it to the terminal for them" and then use it for their returning family member.
Claro que si.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
And when everybody realizes those are "free" and being "recycled" there won't be any carts for rent. What could go wrong with this plan.?????

• Haha
Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I was at JFK a couple of days ago waiting for an uber to pick me up. Recommended place is lower level sign#5. Uber tells everybody to go there for pick-up. There were about 6 carts there that ppl had just paid $6 each for. I have no idea who returns them to the locked area.