No more smoking on the beach

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
There was one restaurant in cab on the road that was non smoking, the wife and I LOVED it but really most of the tourists and expats smoke and it wasn’t a Dom type place so under it went....
I find it really weird how many gringos smoke here, I guess it goes along with the heavy consumption of booze...

To me open air restaurants and bars make a huge difference to having smokers around. Back in Van everything was closed in so it bothered us a lot more, here I guess I have just gotten used to it and most of our friends are curtious smokers so when out with them they won’t light up at a table, they go outside the place or at least move so they are not around us. 

i am a reformed smoker, and i just have a suspicion that when you are a smoker who has stopped, it bothers you even more. it is like i can now detect a smoker from 100 yards away.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
i am a reformed smoker, and i just have a suspicion that when you are a smoker who has stopped, it bothers you even more. it is like i can now detect a smoker from 100 yards away.

Harleysrock had previously mentioned he was allergic to cigarette smoke.

I have never smoked cigarettes and probably dislike like it as much as any reformed smoker.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Smokers areas provided with ash trays everywher this may be a good solution to the problem.

I don't smoke but the tourist go to the beach to drink and smoke.

JJ

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Smokers areas provided with ash trays everywher this may be a good solution to the problem.

I don't smoke but the tourist go to the beach to drink and smoke.

JJ

Not after New Year's Eve, it would seem. This is the DR where laws are so well enforced.

DRDone

Sep 29, 2014
As a Libertarian, I am all for the rights of people to do whatever they want as long as it does not harm others.

Turns out, smoking tobacco does harm others.

It has been stated that the nicotine from cigarette butts damages the reef.
Second hand smoke in enclosed places damages other people's health.

I have no problem with laws that ban smoking tobacco in either location.

Ha, what kind of libertarian is that, the kind that doesn't believe in property rights. Sorry, but Libertarians believe that the owner will determine the rules and those that dislike them will go elsewhere. Please pick a different word, there are many that you can use, but don't redefine this one.
As a libertarian I could not be more offended by your use of the word, but I will defend to my dying breath your right to say it (meaning you won't be imprisoned or physically harmed for your vial misuse of the English language).

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Ha, what kind of libertarian is that, the kind that doesn't believe in property rights. Sorry, but Libertarians believe that the owner will determine the rules and those that dislike them will go elsewhere. Please pick a different word, there are many that you can use, but don't redefine this one.
As a libertarian I could not be more offended by your use of the word, but I will defend to my dying breath your right to say it (meaning you won't be imprisoned or physically harmed for your vial misuse of the English language).

Hopefully, that "dying breath" won't come as a result of emphysema, lung cancer, or some idiot putting up a cloud of nicotene and tar right next to you.

Windy's explanation is sound. If you don't like it, you should stop trolling people on this site, and find someplace that actually makes you happy.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

As a Libertarian I think people have the "right" to do whatever they want to themselves but no "right" to do things can harm others. Cigarette smoking can and does harm others. Therefor people have no "right" to smoke where their smoke can effect others. An owner of a business who allows people to do things that can harm others also does not have a "right" to do so. Banning cigarette smoking where harm to others can be caused by it is the proper thing to do.

DRDone

Sep 29, 2014
As a Libertarian I think people have the "right" to do whatever they want to themselves but no "right" to do things can harm others. Cigarette smoking can and does harm others. Therefor people have no "right" to smoke where their smoke can effect others. An owner of a business who allows people to do things that can harm others also does not have a "right" to do so. Banning cigarette smoking where harm to others can be caused by it is the proper thing to do.

I see the issue, you've confused Fascist with Libertarian. Oddly that happens a lot these days.
Or maybe I misunderstand, I guess people are being forced at the end of a gun to go into restaurants that allow smoking.
We need to ban it and have a war on tobacco much more extreme than the war on drugs as this smoking is so much more harmful than anything on the planet and cannot be left to personal choice by property owners.
As a fellow Austrian Economist I would love to see how you justify under that free market system. Being a libertarian would be interested in the Economist that had the most influence on your theories.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Just curious , and sorry if I did not see this in previous posts perhaps.
but does this Ban also include CIGAR Smoking ?
because if it does, then this is the most foolish Law I have ever heard of ..

But even a Cigarette ban in OPEN Areas, is a very slippery slope, opening the door to possible abuse and harassment.
I highly doubt it will help tourism, by attracting more Families , quite the opposite in fact .
Europeans especially are heavy smokers .

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I see the issue, you've confused Fascist with Libertarian. Oddly that happens a lot these days.
Or maybe I misunderstand, I guess people are being forced at the end of a gun to go into restaurants that allow smoking.
We need to ban it and have a war on tobacco much more extreme than the war on drugs as this smoking is so much more harmful than anything on the planet and cannot be left to personal choice by property owners.
As a fellow Austrian Economist I would love to see how you justify under that free market system. Being a libertarian would be interested in the Economist that had the most influence on your theories.

I have not studied any economics in my life. I have no basis to discuss such things from my within my personal experience.

If my choice to enter a restaurant is based upon something that can harm my health by being in that restaurant, then I am also being harmed by not being able to choose to go into that restaurant without taking such a risk. In this case, the risk is second hand smoke.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Just curious , and sorry if I did not see this in previous posts perhaps.
but does this Ban also include CIGAR Smoking ?
because if it does, then this is the most foolish Law I have ever heard of ..

But even a Cigarette ban in OPEN Areas, is a very slippery slope, opening the door to possible abuse and harassment.
I highly doubt it will help tourism, by attracting more Families , quite the opposite in fact .
Europeans especially are heavy smokers .

I hope so. There's nicotene in cigars as well. Also, cigar smoke is generally only appreciated by those doing the smoking.

I mean, a big part of the reason you go to a beach is to enjoy the clean and fresh salty air.

One of my very best friends is a cigar smoker. He's actually quite the aficionado. Anyway, he's exceptionally courteous when smoking. Generally goes to cigar bars, or smokes outside only after asking people around him if they mind. I hate the smell but love the company, so I'm more than good with it, but other folks may feel differently. 

His attitude is light years better than the ridiculously rude folks who light up knowing it makes a stench, but only thinking about themselves. 

DR ain't Europe, and a little consideration goes a long way.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Ask a dentist what cigar smoking does to some peoples' throats and mouths.

They sometimes see the effects before the smoker or the smoker's doctor.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Ask a dentist what cigar smoking does to some peoples' throats and mouths.

They sometimes see the effects before the smoker or the smoker's doctor.

Probably similar damage that Alcohol does to a Personas LIVER..
but no one is asking to ban Alcohol on the beach.. ( just being a little sarcastic)

I get the 2nd Hand smoke argument,,but its a very slippery slope in such a big Public area, and there is no bigger public area than a Beach or Park.. FINE people for Littering sure ,. but not allowing them to smoke ? Its a big step
The DR is NOT a first world Country and smoking in Public is a First World type of perceived problem..
They got Motos and Cars spewing all kinds of Pollutants , and literally smoke so thick from Burning Garbage it would gag a Buzzard , and they are focused on this Krap ?
its completely out of Whack with Reality , and I'm just very curious what is driving this ..
I have no other interest in it , and it will never affect me personally.

snowqueen

Dec 15, 2004
Once again, even the responsible people are being punished along with the pigs that pollute the beaches. I have never disposed of a butt on a beach. I see garbage and plastics as being as big a problem, but little is being done about that.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Once again, even the responsible people are being punished along with the pigs that pollute the beaches. I have never disposed of a butt on a beach. I see garbage and plastics as being as big a problem, but little is being done about that.

Styrofoam?............ That stuff needs to be outlawed in la rep dom.

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
besides, i do not know who these 17% of Dominicans are. as i said, in my experience, i only know one personal acquaintance who smokes.

That's because 90% of them need you to buy them a cigarette before they light up.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
One of the few places in the World where cigarettes are sold individually out of regular packs...this place is like an Island-wide homeless shelter!

it bewilders me that you people come to these people's country, and so freely express so much contempt for them. you measure them by your Euromerican standards, and trash them mercilessly at every opportunity. i have no idea which countries you have lived in,or visited, but even in the USA there is such an entity as a ''loosie'', which is a loose cigarette.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
it bewilders me that you people come to these people's country, and so freely express so much contempt for them. you measure them by your Euromerican standards, and trash them mercilessly at every opportunity. i have no idea which countries you have lived in,or visited, but even in the USA there is such an entity as a ''loosie'', which is a loose cigarette.

Isn't that a promiscuous woman? ;)