No need for Covid tests for arriving tourists

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
I think the reality is that they have to be seen to be doing something. Most countries have run out of ideas, they know that lockdowns are devastating for businesses so they develop this obsession with mask wearing because it's a really visible sign that you're doing something, even though masks are of very limited if no help at all. And like in DR, just keep extending the curfew because again it's a very clear sign that you're doing something.

There are a few simple and effective ways to slow down the spread of covid that citizens can follow.
This cooperation will avoid shut downs and further slowing of economies and loss of incomes.

Avoid gathering in large groups.
Wear a mask in group situations, you may include eye glasses or shades.
Wash your hands.

Not very complicated procedures.

COVID 19 is a viral infection looking for a host.
It does not care about protests or denials of its existence.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
To avoid being infected you have to stay away from other people who may themselves be infected. When you must commingle, properly wear a mask preferably a good quality medical mask , keep as much space between you and other people as you can, do not share things like drink glasses, cutlery, keep your hands away from your face until you have washed them well with soap and hot water. Drinking in a bar is risky not only because other people are present but because the glasses may not be properly disinfected between customers. Same for restaurants. There are no guarantees you can only rely on yourself to look out for your own interests. Consider bringing your own beverage holder to the bar if you have to go to one. If you have to move to maintain distance, then move yourself to a better/safer spot. You do what you have to do to live as normal a life a possible while still taking prudent precautions. Assume that at least 1 in every 10 people are infected. If you re in a crowd then the person next to you may be one of the infected. Stay away and don't be handling the things they have. It sucks to have to do these things but that's the reality for now until we can kill this virus with a working treatment.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
To avoid being infected you have to stay away from other people who may themselves be infected. When you must commingle, properly wear a mask preferably a good quality medical mask , keep as much space between you and other people as you can, do not share things like drink glasses, cutlery, keep your hands away from your face until you have washed them well with soap and hot water. Drinking in a bar is risky not only because other people are present but because the glasses may not be properly disinfected between customers. Same for restaurants. There are no guarantees you can only rely on yourself to look out for your own interests. Consider bringing your own beverage holder to the bar if you have to go to one. If you have to move to maintain distance, then move yourself to a better/safer spot. You do what you have to do to live as normal a life a possible while still taking prudent precautions. Assume that at least 1 in every 10 people are infected. If you re in a crowd then the person next to you may be one of the infected. Stay away and don't be handling the things they have. It sucks to have to do these things but that's the reality for now until we can kill this virus with a working treatment.
Alternatively just accept the fact that sooner or later we are all going to get it, and for most people it is a very mild infection.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Alternatively just accept the fact that sooner or later we are all going to get it, and for most people it is a very mild infection.

If you still own a hotel, there could be too much self interest and a conflict of interest,
which would make your statements suspect.
Your track record is not great.

TropicalPaul
Bronze

Apr 27, 2020

I also know, from first hand experience of owning a hotel in the Colonial Zone.........................

TropicalPaul
Bronze

Apr 24, 2020

I've just been sent a copy of the formal document in which Danilo is requesting an extension of the state of emergency until 25th May. Feels like way too long and I suspect there will be civil unrest.

• Haha
Reactions: Andre14615

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
If you still own a hotel, there could be too much self interest and a conflict of interest,

TropicalPaul
Bronze

Apr 27, 2020

I also know, from first hand experience of owning a hotel in the Colonial Zone.........................

TropicalPaul
Bronze

Apr 24, 2020

I've just been sent a copy of the formal document in which Danilo is requesting an extension of the state of emergency until 25th May. Feels like way too long and I suspect there will be civil unrest.

Or then again maybe he's just tired of the BS.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Basic precautions to keep other people safe isn't BS. There is a word for those who place their own interests ahead of other innocents. Some people would just like to go about their business feeling that everyone is doing all they can to protect each other. It would be nice if those that feel basic precautions are BS would change their minds and consider enduring the slight inconvenience for the sake of those who do not believe that getting the disease will be a "mild infection". We have posters on this forum who can attest to the fact that CV19 can be a lot more than mild infection. Alas for the sake of making a point many are prepared to overlook the glaring number of people who are really sick in hospitals some of whom will not leave alive. Someone's death certainly isn't BS especially if they were infected by some who intentionally chose not to do something to keep others healthy because they find it inconvenient.

tempo

Aug 5, 2020
US

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Ese protocolo nuevo parte desde cuando? Alguien sabe? I fly in week after next and was planning to get a test done here but will cancel it if not required any longer. Thanks in advance.
Tried and proven by many here...NO test needed. Boots on the ground 3 weeks ago even before that announcement...NO test required.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
No tests are needed because they realized if they needed tests that people could not get them and if they tested everyone in the airports there were massive backups. There will never be enough tests to make testing practical. So, no tests are needed. They need tourists to come. Tests would reduce the number of tourists.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I thought the new announcement comes into effect in Sept. sometime. Theoretically arriving passengers could still be asked for a test or given one if they do no have one of their own. Granted these tests at the airport don't seem to happen very often but they have been done in the past so they could be done in the future if some official decides to push the point.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Sept 30th was the stated date - as I remember -
but who would expect much diligence while we wait for random testing to start?

Why wait at all unless a better testing method will be delivered

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Sept 30th was the stated date - as I remember -
but who would expect much diligence while we wait for random testing to start?

Why wait at all unless a better testing method will be delivered
Less testing less covid numbers ...perception low numbers safe to travel..

tempo

Aug 5, 2020
US
Tried and proven by many here...NO test needed. Boots on the ground 3 weeks ago even before that announcement...NO test required.
Thank you.

I was there in mid July myself. It was an official requirement then, even though no body asked for any document. My question is, now that the requirement is officially withdrawn, does anybody know when that would go in force, if such a date does indeed exist, now that the announcement is about a week old. Thanks in advance to all.

Andre14615

Banned
May 31, 2019
They're finally started to go down the curve(due to the curfew) but this typical dominican incompetence will force things like increased infections and the state of emergency and the curfew to extend into 2021. They should take their bumps and economic hits now in order to emerge stronger in 2021. The risks of seeking such a small amount of u.s tourists doesnt outweigh the economic damage that will remain if this continues into next year. Y'all told me this Abinader was sent from the Gods and was the chosen one. He seems just as dumb as the others before him.

Oct 11, 2010
Thank you.

I was there in mid July myself. It was an official requirement then, even though no body asked for any document. . . .

It has been this way almost from the original "official" announcement about the requirement for tourists to have a valid PCR test upon arrival or be subjected to mandatory testing without it.

It has, since it's foolish inception, been nothing but another dog and pony show put on by the Dominican Government as a desperate attempt to demonstrate their ability to deal with the Pandemic. Their utter failure in this testing effort just magnifies their incompetence.

Apart from their obscure and misleading announcements and dates, at least at the Puerto Plata airport, they are no longer asking arriving passengers to provide negative PCR tests.

tempo

Aug 5, 2020
US
Their utter failure in this testing effort just magnifies their incompetence.

Apart from their obscure and misleading announcements and dates, at least at the Puerto Plata airport, they are no longer asking arriving passengers to provide negative PCR tests.
Thanks for the information. I do not like the idea of being chosen for random tests and with uncertain outcome, reason why I was wondering about this prior to the trip.

Can't blame the DR, there are other exemplars with first world resource base, that have made a mess of it.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
They're finally started to go down the curve(due to the curfew) but this typical dominican incompetence will force things like increased infections and the state of emergency and the curfew to extend into 2021. They should take their bumps and economic hits now in order to emerge stronger in 2021. The risks of seeking such a small amount of u.s tourists doesnt outweigh the economic damage that will remain if this continues into next year. Y'all told me this Abinader was sent from the Gods and was the chosen one. He seems just as dumb as the others before him.

It's not actually going down.... just less testing
--------------------------------------------------------------

Dolores
Administrator

Staff member

Feb 20, 2019 6,112 368 63

Today at 10:15 AM

Coronavirus Bulletin #164 of the Ministry of Public Health’s Department of Epidemiology shows the Dominican Republic has 94,241 confirmed Covid-19 cases, including 509 new cases. The lull in cases has more to do with problems in testing at the government and private labs, rather than a real decline in cases.

The official accumulated incidence of the disease per 100,000 inhabitants as per confirmed PCR tests is highest in the National District and these top 10 provinces: National District (2,569), Pedernales (1,234), Santiago (980), La Altagracia (944), Sánchez Ramírez (886), La Vega (821), Maria Trinidad Sánchez (754), La Romana (740), Duarte (757), Azua (751) and Barahona (725). Santo Domingo province with 692 is in 12th place in the incidence of the disease per 100,000 inhabitants.

The number of confirmed cases depends on the completion of PCR tests. As the recent statistics reveal, even the well-off in the Dominican Republic have to wait to get tested or get their test...

• Wow
Reactions: Andre14615

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I have never made a secret of owning a hotel. Does owning a hotel mean that I should be ignored in all discussions on Covid? And the evidence is very clear (not my opinion, the evidence) that in the vast majority of adults Covid is a very mild illness. I don't think either of these gives you the right to allege that my track record is not great

• Love
Reactions: Caonabo