No shame

Aug 21, 2007
Sorry group, but I have no shame…..

Last night Strength for the Journey held our first roller skating night in Jamao.. we did it in “The Club,” which is a more of less open air tin roof community building but with a slick concrete floor.

I had 20 pairs of skates donated from the US. We held 2 sessions to accommodate all the children. No one could skate. Parents came and every parent helped his child. It was good to see.

Our leadership class of adolescents took care of registering every child and fitting the children with skates. Our advisory group helped out and one member coordinated the local food vendors to come and sell food.

I bought a disco light and we had our speaker for music, but no hay luz. We are used to that in Jamao. Volunteers used the lights of their cameras so the kids could see.

At the end of the evening after the leaders cleaned up, the leaders asked if next time when we are finished with the children’s skating, they could also skate. I had to reply, “We don’t have skates in your size.”

At a time when 13-15 year olds typically are on the street experimenting with questionable behaviors, this group is doing monthly service projects and helping with the younger children in our community.

I would love to provide them with some fun diversions, too.

Would anyone be willing to donate to buy skates so they too can skate? A pair of skates on Amazon costs about $60 USD. We would need about 12 pairs. If I could get 12 people to contribute it would be great!!!

This event is planned for Friday nights every two weeks. So they will be regularly used. Thanks for considering. You, too, are Strength for the Journey!

And sorry to be a begger…I have no shame.

Reactions: Bob Boyd

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Lindsey, keep in mind the shipping costs on these.

Reactions: Fulano2

Mm530

Dec 28, 2014
Sounds great ! and alot of people reading here can spare 60$ for this cause. I recommend you start a GoFund Me . I can help you set it up and repost on IG and FB to get more views and you will do well Im sure. Make sure to describe it the way you did here

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

Good point. Maybe they can all be shipped to me and I can pack them in a drum delivered to her door for about $125? I’ve already got one started for her, but can begin a new one just for skates.

Aug 21, 2007
You all are the best!!! I am grocery shopping in Santiago but when I get home will respond to each of you and thank you!!!

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Lindsey, when you get a chance can you post the info from Amazon for the skates. I would have no problem getting a pair from Amazon to help out.

• Love
Reactions: LindseyKaufman
Aug 21, 2007
Yes JD am aware. I confronted shipping costs when I ordered the first group of skates for the younger kids. Learned it was best to only order a pair or two at a time. And if I order in the nonprofit account with EPS instead of my personal one, they give me a discount.

Aug 21, 2007
Sounds great ! and alot of people reading here can spare 60$ for this cause. I recommend you start a GoFund Me . I can help you set it up and repost on IG and FB to get more views and you will do well Im sure. Make sure to describe it the way you did here
Thanks for the idea! Years and years ago I did a Gofundme fundraiser- before we were a legal nonprofit. I do not want to be greedy. Let me try tomorrow on my personal fb page. I have a loyal following there. If that does not produce results- along with here- then will try Gofundme.

Aug 21, 2007
Lindsey, when you get a chance can you post the info from Amazon for the skates. I would have no problem getting a pair from Amazon to help out.
keepcoming, here is what I ordered for the adult who was helping on the floor.

IMG_0298.jpeg
I am collecting sizes for our leadership class and when I have them will let you know. Thank you!!!!!

• Love
Reactions: keepcoming
Aug 21, 2007
Good point. Maybe they can all be shipped to me and I can pack them in a drum delivered to her door for about $125? I’ve already got one started for her, but can begin a new one just for skates.
This is something to consider! Thank you!!! Am collecting sizes right now. When the list is complete we can discuss this option. Appreciate your ongoing support, AlterEgo!!!

Aug 21, 2007
I think I have this figured out. I will list the sizes we need here. If anyone cares to help out, you could either purchase the skates and have them shipped to AlterEgo or you could make a contribution via our website or a bank transfer here in the DR and I will order them.

Our website is

www.sftjourney.org

Whatever you choose to do, just message me to let me know. You do not need to post here.

AlterEgo, what address would you like
them to use if they are shipping to you?

The sizes we need are
36-2 pairs
38- 2 pairs
39-1 pair
40- 2 pairs
42- 3 pairs

And I did take the advice mentioned above and posted a request on social media. If we receive more funding than necessary we will purchase more children’s skates to enable more to participate. (Photos to follow!)

I so much appreciate the ongoing support from you dr1 members. Truly, you are Strength for the Journey!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I think I have this figured out. I will list the sizes we need here. If anyone cares to help out, you could either purchase the skates and have them shipped to AlterEgo or you could make a contribution via our website or a bank transfer here in the DR and I will order them.

Our website is

www.sftjourney.org

Whatever you choose to do, just message me to let me know. You do not need to post here.

AlterEgo, what address would you like
them to use if they are shipping to you?

The sizes we need are
36-2 pairs
38- 2 pairs
39-1 pair
40- 2 pairs
42- 3 pairs

And I did take the advice mentioned above and posted a request on social media. If we receive more funding than necessary we will purchase more children’s skates to enable more to participate. (Photos to follow!)

I so much appreciate the ongoing support from you dr1 members. Truly, you are Strength for the Journey!

I sent you my address for anyone who’s participating. I hope to see a lot of boxes on my doorstep! 😊