No terrorism in the DR

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
When I moved here in 2001, it was a delight to see the lack of terrorism. I had spent the previous 10 years in London and had been close to IRA bombs in the City of London twice. Terrorism was a way of life. Bags were searched everywhere you went. I came to the DR and not a bomb in sight. No one shoots kids in school, no one shoots people in cinemas or malls. I was saying this to my mother, what a joy it was to be in a country where there were no terrorists and she reminded me I was still shot (lol).

So what is better? To be in a country where there is no fear of random shootings or terrorist attacks or to be in a country where you will be shot for winning at dominoes or when someone wants to rob your house?

Matilda

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I've been living here in Santiago for the past 9 years, and knock on wood, not one incident.
Maybe it's because I don't flash money and never wear any type of jewelry, not even a cheap watch.
I never go out at night unless I am with other people I know, and I stay out of areas known to be unsafe.
I now live in Campo Villa Bao, 17 miles outside of Santiago, have many friends and feel perfectly at home here.
When I walk down a street, people I have never met smile and say Hola Barry.........
This surprises me every time......
So, if I had to make a choice, a country where there are terrorist activities, or a Campo in the DR.................
Campo, hands down........:classic:

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The DR Govt does have a standing police anti terrorist squad but I can't see them being all that busy.

The DR being a developing nation hasn't meddled much in foreign affairs in the middle east and elsewhere so hasn't made itself an appealing target. There is no point in blowing up a shopping mall in SD. However, I would not be surprised to learn that someday a terrorist has used the DR as a jumping off point to gain entry into a more appealing land of opportunity.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
This terror attack in Paris shook my plans for the future big time. I wanted to leave DR to get a better future for my children, especially considering education, job opportunities, etc.

Yesterday's attack made me wonder: is brining them to Europe providing for a better future? However, it is true, here they kill you for a cell phone or a parking place. Yesterday and this morning I was sure: I'm staying here, don't need living in a place under threat of islam. But I know that in a few days the shock will be gone and I'll be frustrated again with DR style education , corruption and crime.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I grew up in Israel in the 1970s, lived in the UK in the 1980s and 1990s, and - as some members here will recall - narrowly escaped being caught up in 7/7 - so yes, it does give me peace of mind to be away from the threat and much of the accompanying bullsh?t.

However, this is more to do with perceived than actual threat. Statistically I'm far more likely to be a victim of a traffic accident or a crime in the DR, or anywhere, than to be a victim of terrorism in Europe.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
I've been living here in Santiago for the past 9 years, and knock on wood, not one incident.
Maybe it's because I don't flash money and never wear any type of jewelry, not even a cheap watch.
I never go out at night unless I am with other people I know, and I stay out of areas known to be unsafe.
I now live in Campo Villa Bao, 17 miles outside of Santiago, have many friends and feel perfectly at home here.
When I walk down a street, people I have never met smile and say Hola Barry.........
This surprises me every time......
So, if I had to make a choice, a country where there are terrorist activities, or a Campo in the DR.................
Campo, hands down........:classic:

So that's where you've been hiding.;)

j&t's future

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007
I truthfully love living in the DR. It ticks ALL the boxes for me, my family and I have a wonderful lifestyle, our friends have the same values as ourselves and in 8 years we haven't had a single 'incident'. We play the game the right way.
We watch these atrocities from the 'safe haven' of our tiny island. no-body is interested in us (the DR), and it's quite surprising how often a relative or friend may stay with us and towards the end of their stay comment how wonderful our life seems to be. We live a normal, happy, respectful and privileged lifestyle. We are grateful for the lifestyle this Island has offered us, a lifestyle that is NOT possible in the UK, France, Germany etc. due to migration issues that the liberal Governments in Europe continue to support. Take away family and a few friends, I have no reason to return to the UK, I am grateful for the life I have here, where nothing really matters unless of course it's my round at the bar or a friend needs a helping hand.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
... I'll be frustrated again with DR style education , corruption and crime.

At least parents can supplement their kid's education. Curriculums by grade are available on the internet for some NA and European jurisdictions, books are available on Amazon and time is usually something that can be found here in the DR if one chooses to do so. Lots of home schooling resources available to guide parents in exposing their kids to the necessary materials.

Information wants to be free and if you make it available to your kids, they'll soak it up, with a little coaxing from the parents.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I think one of the main reasons thr DR hasn't had ant terrorist activity to date is that the government here hasn't done the politically correct and pretty practice of bringing in refugees from terrorist producing countries.

In my opinion rather than bring the refugees in, that money would be much better spent on cleaning up the problem in countries like Syria. Im sure if these people where given the choice of staying there or leaving everything behind they would stay. I can only imagine the problems countries like Canada, Germany, Greece etc will have by bringing in all the current refugees without proper background checks. But hey its todays politically correct thing to do.

Unfortunately what happened in Paris is probably just the beginning. I really hope the government's of the world pool their resources and destroy the cowardly cancer called ISIS.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
The DR is a developing third world country and cannot afford to bring in refugees. With the amount of
poor Dominicans which abound in poverty bringing in refugees would surely add to the misery.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
More than half a century of living here has taught me that this is the place to be.
Mauricio: If you send your children to a really good school that is fairly competitive--ie. they have to perform or else!--they can get a pretty good education
in the DR. Places like Carol Morgan, Santiago Christian School, and a few others. Look at their curriculums.
Also, as was noted by Cdn-Gringo, there are tons of on-line resources to be found.
One of the most educated persons I know, educated himself reading the 100 great books...things like college were a snap after that.

I am no longer going to use "terrorism" ...I am going to follow Bibi's term: "Medievalism", as a reference to this horror unleashed upon Europe by the influx of Muslim immigrants.

Clearly not all of them, but a significant number are criminals. I saw a note where 100% of the reported rape cases in Norway were by Muslim immigrants.

Here in the DR, I think justice would be swift if anyone attempted to carry out acts of medievalist violence. The response would not be the rending of garments and cries of woe.

In all probability it would be swift, and horrible...perhaps by the people themselves or perhaps by the security forces, who are not trained in restraint. At least that would be my thinking.

Ever wonder why there are so few attempts at mass shootings in places like Texas?

There is the heart-warming story of the 13 year old in Georgia (I think) that shot and killed one burglar and wounder the other???while Home alone.

Just ranting,

HB

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
jinty05, Good video, did you notice the row of about 20 men (security) in front of the podium.......
Read the comments when video is finished, quite interesting.......

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I posted that link on another thread....

I do believe that their presence here would be a cause for concern and lead to violence.

Wonder if the Dominican Security people have even seen this...

HB

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
Think it worth drawing your attention to what's happening on this island:-

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=LHRGTlztEfU

It has now reached the Island. I just hope that the authorities will put a swift halt before it is too late.

They need to nip it in the bud. Once it begins and it's allowed to take root, there will be no stopping it
and the Island will be on fire just like Europe.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Discussions pertaining to religion are a no no. Some of you are getting close that line.