No Water in Sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
They're fixing a pipe in the Callejon, too, because many people don't have water. Sounds like a big part of the problem are old, cracked pipes(?).
You know why their pipes crack. Because they bury them with 2" of cover (literally). Saw this just yesterday on a new pipe crossing the road. I actually can see the tops of some pipes exposed in some other areas. These were installed by Corraplata not the users.
All water pipe should be at least 18" of cover - All it takes is a truck running over a rock atop the pipe ditch and bloooey - you have a repair needed.

As a rough guess I bet 35% of all water pumped is lost through leaks.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
High pressure for Corraplata is like someone with high blood pressure - An Aneurism in their system is just waiting to happen, pipes bursting like balloons at a child's birthday party.
So true.

We had slightly higher water pressure for a couple of day, but no pressure at the moment.

I don't expect any real improvement any time soon, if ever.

Reactions: chico bill

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
So true.

We had slightly higher water pressure for a couple of day, but no pressure at the moment.

I don't expect any real improvement any time soon, if ever.
Expecting reliable water delivery from Corraplata is like waiting for you millions to be deposited from Nigeria.
It will be the thing that stops development and slow tourism (not crime)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
You know why their pipes crack. Because they bury them with 2" of cover (literally). Saw this just yesterday on a new pipe crossing the road. I actually can see the tops of some pipes exposed in some other areas. These were installed by Corraplata not the users.
All water pipe should be at least 18" of cover - All it takes is a truck running over a rock atop the pipe ditch and bloooey - you have a repair needed.

As a rough guess I bet 35% of all water pumped is lost through leaks.
We were building a wall once along the road at the back side of our property. A cement block was accidentally dropped onto the road immediately next to the wall. It broke the main water pipe into La Cienaga and shot a geyser 20 feet high. Two inches? More like half an inch under. That was when there actually was water pressure. Now if that happened it wouldn't be noticed for weeks.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
I know several illegal connections. It is easy for the cheaters to do it when the PVC mains are empty 5-6 days a week.
I had to repair the main near my home, after a major leak was reported and Corraplata came, tried to repair it, but it still leaked so I dug up the main which is buried just 10" and put a proper dresser coupling on it.
Now at any time I want I could dig up the main in front of my service and put in a tee and reduce it to the 1" service to my cistern and valve off the metered connection. And there would be no consequences for this.
I bet 1/3 of the connections to single family homes in DR are illegal.
One Dominican neighbor is supplying two very large homes, both with huge landscaped yards, with an one illegal connection. Corraplata cut their services after they were unable to pay unpaid bills from prior owners of the property.
I have a Dominican neighbor who has a big house....and pays nothing for water, garbage, tv cable, and of course electric...I guess thats just Dominican home improvement........

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I have a Dominican neighbor who has a big house....and pays nothing for water, garbage, tv cable, and of course electric...I guess thats just Dominican home improvement........
Or....one might look at is as a set-off on the ledger books for partial service in the past, no service, companies that don't give a crap about the people they are "servicing" and in the last column of the book "misc abuse and fustrations against me and my family". Remember accounting 101...at the end of the page it must balance. (credits and debts).

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Or....one might look at is as a set-off on the ledger books for partial service in the past, no service, companies that don't give a crap about the people they are "servicing" and in the last column of the book "misc abuse and fustrations against me and my family". Remember accounting 101...at the end of the page it must balance. (credits and debts).
Private Companies must balance.

Government companies like Edenorte and CORAAPPLATA? Not so much. Nor do they care about providing service. Especially CORAAPPLATA at the moment.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
For many years, the government allowed DR citizens to tap into power lines for free. There was no "balancing" involved in that. The EDE's are government run and it was all about politics to get votes. DR citizens thought electricity was a "right" and that was hard to change.

Reactions: cavok

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Does he use someone else's barrel or just toss it over the wall like my neighbors used to do.
They are too cheap to pay 500 pesos a months for garbage but they drive around in SUVs pretending to be 'loaded'

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Does he use someone else's barrel or just toss it over the wall like my neighbors used to do.
They are too cheap to pay 500 pesos a months for garbage but they drive around in SUVs pretending to be 'loaded'
think he borrowed one from a neighbor...........

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Saw this on Detras del Rumor FB page this morning:

CORAAPPLATA began the drilling and construction of two tube wells Las Cuevas (El Choco) to solve the problem of drinking water that affects the municipal district of Cabarete.
With this action, in the coming days there will be an expeditious solution to the water supply that will benefit the entire population of that tourist town located in the eastern part of the Puerto Plata province.

There's a video, but for some reason I can't post it.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Saw this on Detras del Rumor FB page this morning:

CORAAPPLATA began the drilling and construction of two tube wells Las Cuevas (El Choco) to solve the problem of drinking water that affects the municipal district of Cabarete.
With this action, in the coming days there will be an expeditious solution to the water supply that will benefit the entire population of that tourist town located in the eastern part of the Puerto Plata province.

There's a video, but for some reason I can't post it.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I used to know one of the main operators of the water/ pump station in Sosua.
He passed away a few years ago but I can not remember his name. I do remember
him telling me on more than one occasion the local government had received the
funds to do the necessary upgrades 10x over but stole the money. .

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

More Blah and Blah...
Director CORAAPPLATA meets with tourist entrepreneurs from Sosúa and Cabarete
PUERTO PLATA. -The director of the Puerto Plata Aqueduct and Sewer Corporation (CORAAPPLATA) Oliver Brugal Nazario, met with tourist and real estate entrepreneurs from Sosúa and Cabarete, to those who presented the projects carried out by the institution in order to improve drinking water service in both jurisdictions.
In a meeting held at the Casa Marina Beach hotel, in Sosúa, Brugal Nazario, He explained that two tubular wells are currently being built that will produce 600 gallons per minute, to supply Cabarete with water, while two others will be built in María Lahoz that will supply Cangrejo, The Union, The Castles and surrounding sectors.
These wells are built in different areas with the purpose of making the three existing aqueducts in the area independent to improve service in Sosúa and Cabarete as a short-term measure.
The director of CORAAPPLATA explained that in the long term it is planned to build the aqueduct that has been called the "Atlantic Corridor" that will start in Sabaneta de Yásica until Maimón, Puerto Plata, a work that will definitively resolve the water deficit.

Nazario Brugal, accompanied by the engineer Warner Reyes, in charge of Engineering, heard the concerns of the businessmen of the tourism industry grouped in the Association of Hotels and Restaurants of Sosúa and Cabarete (Ashoresoca). The meeting was also attended by a commission from the Dominican Association of Press and Tourism (Adompretur), a subsidiary Sosúa.
* Communications and Public Relations Directorate / CORAAPPLATA .

Just this week we spoke to Medio Ambiente about our own well and this Aqueduct in the Future was mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.