Non Bilingual All spanish Schools in SDO or STO

turksman

Mar 14, 2005
If you don't have to be in Santo Domingo, why live there??? Does the availability of a plastic fast food restaurant make it worth living with noise, stress, traffic, crime and pollution? The capital has its plusses but still!

I'd have said come to Punta Cana which is lovely, peaceful, safe and clean and has several good schools - but then I saw the detail about flight connections to Turks and Caicos. Santiago or maybe Puerto Plata would be your better bets.

Chiri I did some research on the internet and I was under the impression that SDQ has more to offer in terms of outdoor family activities (not just fast food :) I am here to hear you and everyone else's opinions I have not made a decision as yet. What I research on the internet is one thing but what I take in from you guys who actually live there is invaluable!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Yes there is more going on in SD in terms of culture and recreation, of course there is. It's a big decision and I suggest you come and see for yourself.

KJS73

Feb 25, 2011
Santo Domingo also offers lots of movie theaters (some quite cheap). Could be a fun thing to do with the kids after Johnny Rockets.

turksman

Mar 14, 2005
Some people Love New York City, some Hate New Your City!
There is no accounting for "Taste"!
I like to be near the ocean.
Santo Domingo is a very large, and deversified city.
You can find "Barrios Super Calientes", and Exclusive Residential Neighborhoods.
If you have "Dinero" SD offers more "Choices"!
Besides, I live in SD!
"'Nuf Said?????"
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Key word that says it all for me "CHOICES"!!!!

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
Well, it is not like the country is so big that you have to live in the same city your eventual light departs from. SD is about 1 hour from STI, PC is about 2 hours from SD, LT is about 2 hours from SDQ and 1 hour from POP.
You have a point...I guess it comes down how frequent his flights are...once every couple months is only 5-6 flights per year...adding a couple of hours each way to a flight 5-6 times a year seems a minor issue...OTOH, if we are talking about once a month or once every few weeks, 12-15 times a year, it is a different matter.

Anyway, some of your times seem "overly optimistic"... for example, 1 hr from SD to STI? It's about 150Kms, so even with favourable traffic to make about 150 KM/hr seems a bit unrealistic considering the time to get out of the city, plus the occasional traffic jam on the highway...even 2 hrs may be a challenge under realistic conditions. Same for SD-PUJ...even with the new highway, to do it in 2 hrs seems quite optimistic (just crossing Romana may take a significant amount of time , although much less when the circunvalacion is finally ready)... I suppose the other times are also on the "best case scenario" side of the spectrum.

pdmlynek

Sep 27, 2012
"BAD IDEA"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
In my "HUMBLE" opinion!
School children lose part of what they have just spent 9 months learning during their short summer break.
Being out of school for nine months until the end of August would be a dis-service to them.
They will be speaking Spanish, and having many new friends here by March, IF they start in January!
Having a "Tutor", is nowhere nearly as interesting,fun, or fast, as learning from kids their own age.
"You'll SEE!

CC

I totally agree. If the girls are young enough, they'll speak by March, and by September 2013 they will know pretty much all of the language that they'll need to compete with their peers.

Good luck, turksman!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Regarding the topic of schooling for children, as a father of three girls all in grade school (kinder, 4 and 6) I would want to consider the following:

1. Is the curriculum of the new school more advanced or equal to the last school my child was in? If it is more advanced that with the language issue could be a big issue.

2. Do my children have the personality to adjust being thrust into an environment where they will not understand what is going on? Based on my personal experience and those of a friend with a shy child this will damage the child's self confidence. If a child is very young, say preschool this is not an issue but certainly is if the child is in 2nd grade up until they are a teenager. I personally have a very shy girl, a very extroverted girl and one in between.

turksman

Mar 14, 2005
Regarding the topic of schooling for children, as a father of three girls all in grade school (kinder, 4 and 6) I would want to consider the following:

1. Is the curriculum of the new school more advanced or equal to the last school my child was in? If it is more advanced that with the language issue could be a big issue.

2. Do my children have the personality to adjust being thrust into an environment where they will not understand what is going on? Based on my personal experience and those of a friend with a shy child this will damage the child's self confidence. If a child is very young, say preschool this is not an issue but certainly is if the child is in 2nd grade up until they are a teenager. I personally have a very shy girl, a very extroverted girl and one in between.

Wow! My 8 year old is very shy and gets very awkward in situations. The 13 year old is very alpha and I don't think it will be a big problem for her too much. Its the 8 year old I worry about.

Also I have mentioned some time ago, my 13 and 8 year old are from a previous marriage and their mother is Dominican. Unfortunately she never solely talked to them in Spanish and now I would say the 8 year old can speak it about 15-20% and comprehend about 25-30% of common spanish dialouge (did you brush your teeth, go and clean your room, want to go for ice cream or a movie etc etc.) but wouldn't understand how to say ruler or apostrophe etc.. And definitely does not know how to write in Spanish. Same goes for my 13 year old but she is more fluent in Spanish understanding about 35-50% and speaking about 20-30% . I assume this will help a little more than kids who don't know a word to begin with.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Wow! My 8 year old is very shy and gets very awkward in situations. The 13 year old is very alpha and I don't think it will be a big problem for her too much. Its the 8 year old I worry about.

Also I have mentioned some time ago, my 13 and 8 year old are from a previous marriage and their mother is Dominican. Unfortunately she never solely talked to them in Spanish and now I would say the 8 year old can speak it about 15-20% and comprehend about 25-30% of common spanish dialouge (did you brush your teeth, go and clean your room, want to go for ice cream or a movie etc etc.) but wouldn't understand how to say ruler or apostrophe etc.. And definitely does not know how to write in Spanish. Same goes for my 13 year old but she is more fluent in Spanish understanding about 35-50% and speaking about 20-30% . I assume this will help a little more than kids who don't know a word to begin with.

I might just ask you children what they prefer. After all in the scheme of things how does the loss of one school year compare to the damage done by a child feeling out of place and inadequate? Whether they start college at 18 or 19 is really irrelevant. I started college at 23 when I got out of the army and now am in a master program at 47 with some of my fellow students being half my age and can telling you I'm having more fun now that I even did the first time around. Confidence counts for a lot. Just my two cents buddy.