Non residents with covid 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
Just wondering what would happen if a gringo who is here beyond the 30 day tourist visa and is found to be positive.
Would they be made to pay for their care?
What about if they have their own private Dominican insurance?
Would they be sent to their home country?

Reactions: Carl.L

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009

Can a non resident get health insurance here? I doubt it, or?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Lets keep things organized. A thread like this will be moved to the recently created COVID-19 in DR forum, so why create it elsewhere?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Just wondering what would happen if a gringo who is here beyond the 30 day tourist visa and is found to be positive.
Would they be made to pay for their care?
Would they be sent to their home country?

This illness would be treated like any other. As a non resident you either need private insurance or cash. Rather doubt that you would allowed to leave the DR if you were infected. It would also be a very selfish act on your part to expose a whole number of people as you travel anywhere. If you have been in the DR than you probably would be better off to stay in place at this point. If you do decide to fly back to your home country and can do so than you need to self quarantine for 14 days upon arrival. Good luck and stay well.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008

Can a non resident get health insurance here? I doubt it, or?

yes for sure we sell lots of non residents health insurance as long as they are under 69 If you don't it you need it or have lots of cash . PM me for details. Its not expensive 1850 pesos per month for a million peso coverage.

jjcjay

Mar 25, 2020
yes for sure we sell lots of non residents health insurance as long as they are under 69 If you don't it you need it or have lots of cash . PM me for details. Its not expensive 1850 pesos per month for a million peso coverage.

I'm not the OP but I would be interested in receiving more info about the health insurance. I tried to PM you but am not able to (I'm a new member) Would you be able to PM me ?

nanita

Jul 28, 2014
So how exactly does that work? Let's say for example someone overstays - technically they are living in the DR illegally, right? But they can still have medical coverage from a Dominican company? Wouldn't their illegal status be grounds to deny any claim?

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
In my case I simply called my Family Doctor (whom I would stack up against and MD back home) (That I know of) and he looked after me.
Treated me in his office, visited me at home and sent me off for tests after the symptoms cleared away.... so far his charges were $4000.oo dop.

The agPCR test declared me 84% negative. (THats the accuracy rate)
I am finally feeling myself again....
Now Luperon is rife with CV19... so back to being a curmudgeon recluse for a few months.

Reactions: PCMike and Radical

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
In my case I simply called my Family Doctor (whom I would stack up against and MD back home) (That I know of) and he looked after me.
Treated me in his office, visited me at home and sent me off for tests after the symptoms cleared away.... so far his charges were $4000.oo dop.

The agPCR test declared me 84% negative. (THats the accuracy rate)
I am finally feeling myself again....
Now Luperon is rife with CV19... so back to being a curmudgeon recluse for a few months.
Hope nothing serious develops.

By the way, what is an "AG-PCR" test? I ask this because CMC has this so-called "AG-PCR" test and I find this very misleading. .

From what I can see their are either

Antigen tests which are quick

or

RT-PCR tests, which are more involved

There is no such thing as an "AG-PCR" test. At least not one I can find outside of CMC.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
So how exactly does that work? Let's say for example someone overstays - technically they are living in the DR illegally, right? But they can still have medical coverage from a Dominican company? Wouldn't their illegal status be grounds to deny any claim?
Being illegal could be a basis for denying coverage. However, many of those who are illegal report (even here on DR1) they have never been denied coverage by their insurance companies (both health and auto insurance). Go figure.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Windy,
The CMC AG-PCR test as they call it is an nasal/throat swab antigen test. Some here on DR1 indicate that there is no such test called an AG-PCR. I do not know anything about the name of this test but have heard that it is a relatively quick type of antigen test. Not suitable for flying to Canada but may very well meet the requirements for the USA coming into effect this month.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Windy,
The CMC AG-PCR test as they call it is an nasal/throat swab antigen test. Some here on DR1 indicate that there is no such test called an AG-PCR. I do not know anything about the name of this test but have heard that it is a relatively quick type of antigen test. Not suitable for flying to Canada but may very well meet the requirements for the USA coming into effect this month.
Try and find an AG-PCR test described as such at any health site on CV19. There is no such thing, except at CMC. I would say, there is no such thing, but that is because I appreciate facts.

It has misled Canadians into missing their flights.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
Hope nothing serious develops.

By the way, what is an "AG-PCR" test? I ask this because CMC has this so-called "AG-PCR" test and I find this very misleading. .

From what I can see their are either

Antigen tests which are quick

or

RT-PCR tests, which are more involved

There is no such thing as an "AG-PCR" test. At least not one I can find outside of CMC.
You could actually be right ...on the receipt is states Antigeno COVID-19 I guess I assumed it was PCR since that is what I thought I was getting.... same nasal swab the whole nine yards... just process I guess... assume nothing just bit me on the arse!!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
You could actually be right ...on the receipt is states Antigeno COVID-19 I guess I assumed it was PCR since that is what I thought I was getting.... same nasal swab the whole nine yards... just process I guess... assume nothing just bit me on the arse!!
The AG-PCR test at CMC has bitten several in the butt. It ain't what Canada wants.

Reactions: Russell

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
Being illegal could be a basis for denying coverage. However, many of those who are illegal report (even here on DR1) they have never been denied coverage by their insurance companies (both health and auto insurance). Go figure.
I have never heard of anyone being denied health insurance coverage if they had overstayed and were illegal. Remember tons of expats lived here forever without being legal and they had health insurance that worked.

Reactions: drstock and RayO

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I recall one thread where an illegal had the health insurance limited because of his status.

The charges were big - broken leg or something - and the insurance payment portion was capped at a max number.
He paid quite a bit out of pocket

Status
Not open for further replies.