North Coast - Cabrera

Aug 21, 2007
Tons of rain. We rarely cancel classes, instead buying our kids umbrellas. But yesterday and today were too much, and classes had to be cancelled.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Rain forecast for the rest of the week and through the weekend. If you can believe the weather app. Ground is saturated and lots of big deep puddles around me.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
POP: Yesterday morning+evening rain, today non-stop since about 8 am... It's a bit more calm now...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Not much sun - too much rain....
Yes - we had a couple of weeks - hardly a drought - of no rain

I am solar powered -= a bit challenging for me
Planta doing yeoman's work

Aug 21, 2007
I am solar powered too. But now have a system where I am connected to street power. When my batteries drop to 60%, the street power kicks in automatically. And the moment the batteries are charged, it reverts back to batteries. I just get my electric bill. It was 1,000 pesos. Bet you cannot best that, WW.

Reactions: Africaida

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I am solar powered too. But now have a system where I am connected to street power. When my batteries drop to 60%, the street power kicks in automatically. And the moment the batteries are charged, it reverts back to batteries. I just get my electric bill. It was 1,000 pesos. Bet you cannot best that, WW.
How much did your solar setup cost? That is probably a few years of electrical bills.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I just got my electric bill for 797 pesos. I'm going to try turning the inverter off during the day to see if I can get it down further but I don't think it will make much difference.

FWIW, My new planta runs 9 hours on 5 gallons, but I haven't had to use it yet.

With numbers like that no need to go solar.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
My power bill last month was 2,000 RD. No solar. AC for night only in the bedroom.

I would say the drought seems to be over, but CORRAPLATA is far less competent than they were when I arrived in the DR.
The pump and cistern get a work out. Have no lost water thanks to them.

Aug 21, 2007
How much did your solar setup cost? That is probably a few years of electrical bills.
Yes, it is a few years of electric bills. We have 2 air conditioners (big ones), a pool pump, a freezer, a dishwasher, a large frig, a water pump, and the place is lit up all night long. I don't know, but if I were connected to street power alone, I imagine that my electric bill would be almost $1,000 a month, based on what it was the last time I had a house (without all the appliances or air conditioners, but I did have a pool and water pump.)

And based on $1,000 a month, in only a few years it pays for itself.

Moreover, I feel good that I am helping to to keep the Earth a little healthier.

It is a personal decision, one that not everyone chooses to make. But for us, we are happy to have done so.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
My power bill last month was 2,000 RD. No solar. AC for night only in the bedroom.

I would say the drought seems to be over, but CORRAPLATA is far less competent than they were when I arrived in the DR.
The pump and cistern get a work out. Have no lost water thanks to them.
it just struck me... I don't pay maintenance fees so no charge for the water pump. Ours is communal and covered in the rent.

That's another reason for my low electric bill.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Lots of rain in Cabrera last night...... more than a foot of it

Glug, glug, glug.....all the pools must be full........... mine is !!

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Lots of rain in Cabrera last night...... more than a foot of it

Glug, glug, glug.....all the pools must be full........... mine is !!
Since the incompentent CorraPlata hasn't delivered water to Los Cerros in 6 weeks. (Seems no one can fix a broken pump in that outfit) - I am using the rain to pump water with my submersible pump from the pool to the cistern.
A heavy rain means I can draw the pool down 6" giving me about 1200 gallons more3 water

Reactions: CristoRey

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Steady rain for a few hours this AM
Still going
Not torrential but steady

We need it I suppose but I’d rather not