North Coast Tourism numbers decreasing

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I went to Cuba,..."Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"!
The tourist hotels were filled with VERY Stinky Eastern Europeans, and "Rusos"!
EVERYTHING needed a coat of paint.
It was CLEAN, everywhere I went, in :La Habana", and Santiago de Cuba"!!!!!!!!!
The Cuban people I met were nice to me.
I smoked some good cigars.
I got laid for $25 US.:bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny:
What else is there???
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
It is only 90 miles from Florida.
The DR can't compete with THAT!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Yah Mahn"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
"Cock", after going back to 2002 and reading your posts all I can say is,:
"WTF"????????????????????????????
And get a new "Spell Check"!

Aug 6, 2006
The distance to Cuba is probably NOT a plus for Americans. The airfare is higher to Havana from Miami than it is from Miami to SDQ, so the major difference is perhaps an hour less flight time to Cuba. Probably not a draw. And there is the Cuban "funny money" tax as well, where CUC peso costs $1.25 US. Of course, the craftier tourist will swap his dollars for Euros or Canadian dollars and avoid Castro's surcharge. But never tell the moneychanger that you are going to Cuba, since it is illegal for them to change money for that purpose. The Miami Cubans have made a mess of legislation over the years.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Robert, Windeguy, Peter, Beeza,

The team have just got the final figures for 2013 for visitors to the North Coast and it is interesting. As predicted by the team in post #19 of this thread the total number of tourists has beaten last years total. For POP 351,622 (2012) and for 2013 - 353, 857 - a marginal increase. If you add in STI , which also shows an increase , 165,120 in 2012 and 168,446 in 2013.

Add these to POP and you get 522,303 in 2013 versa 516,742 in 2012. That is just over a 1% increase . Not much but it is better that a fall!

See also posts #3,#29 and #37

I have reference Beeza because he was asking in another thread about the future of tourism on the North Coast.

Perhaps the North Coast has turned the corner!

Olly and the Team

May 29, 2006
It could even be a net loss if there were fewer "tourist days" or they simply went cheaper than the hallowed "family demographic."

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Peter, It is probably the other way round - was 2012 a leap year?

2013 certainly wasn't!

Olly and the Team

May 29, 2006
Is there any way to track retail sales tax revenue by region? I've used that to follow the tourist industry in Vermont.

notreallyconfused

Feb 18, 2013
Lower the airport tax....when will this sink in???? It's the number one complaint yet it is never addressed.

I used to come every other month, now I come a lot less. Flights were 300 round trip. I would buy 6 or 7 at a time. Now its minimally 500-700. Between car rentals, hotels, etc. its become more expensive then Colombia. It really doesn't make sense when I can buy PR tickets for 300.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I read today somewhere the Netherlands received 12.5 million tourists last year. With the 10 million figure of Danilo in mind I searched for the number of tourists DR is receiving and found 4.5 million. I can't imagine how a country full of beaches, sun, cheap hotels, etc., receives a third of the number of tourists a small, flat, boring country receives (probably in only 6 months a year...

(yeah yeah, I know in the Netherlands there are many 1, 2 or 3 day visitors..but still)

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Does that count? I was probably for a 100 + times a NL Tourist for 3 - 5 hours each in Venlo, shopping... ;)

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Peter,
I realise there is another interpretation of your comment - we would put it as "length of stay" - but it does equate to tourist days ! Not sure if you are right!
We see North Americans staying 3-5 days and another group staying much longer, Europeans 7 and 14 days, etc ,etc so it is hard to tell. The ONS average spend per tourist day is a clue but it hasn't been updaded yet for 2013.

Olly and the Team

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Does that count? I was probably for a 100 + times a NL Tourist for 3 - 5 hours each in Venlo, shopping... ;)

Yes....that counts...and also those Germans that go to Zandvoort on the 5 sunny days we have per year....

I was a tourist in Oberhausen several times, since there is no decent shopping mall in the Netherlands...won't get to 100 though...

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
You might be right about the increase in NC tourism, but I haven't seen it so far.
One can only really believe what one sees and in the few years that I've been in the DR, this year has been the thinnest.

Together with the harassment from the authorities and insistence on um-meetable goals, coupled with the closure of several attractions and the illogical and totally cretinous and illogical closure of the bar fronts of Sosua,together with the totally illegal closure of the nightclubs, this does not auger well for the future.

Far too much unjustified value is being put on the cruise ports for the future that present day needs are disregarded.

I have lost a lot of money, and also, more valuable, a loss of faith in the ruling parties, to try to predict what the future holds.
For sure, my investments here are on hold whilst I lick my wounds....