North Coast Tourism numbers decreasing

Apr 13, 2011
Ok - I do believe you - a brief look on the internet does show many stories. Plus, I would hear of a few women, who somehow found a way to travel to Europe, and would say they were working as a "hairdresser" or something like that - and I would always wonder, how is that possible??, because the economics never added up - I had my suspicions that "other activities" were happening when they traveled, but it was never something I could directly ask a question about. Your comment about the friend whose wife went to Italy was the first chance to indirectly even be able to ask about this kind of thing.
I have also heard of young women telling their families they were going to work at an All-Inclusive hotel - and had my suspicions about how many of them of actually working for a hotel as opposed to doing "other activities" that pay more than being in a "normal job".
I am not judging any of the women. I know some are doing this work because it will pay the bills, especially if they had kids young and the father is not around. Some do it to get ahead (and hopefully they do not waste the money on pointless, temporary luxuries). And hopefully they do not have to deal with pimps and drugs, but I am sure some do.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
MJS, Mofongo ,
A wee bit off topic ?? The data on numbers of visitors as pointed out by Tflea comes from the Banco Central web site . If anyone has any better information it would be interesting to compare.

The interpretation is also important and there could be lots of discussions about that!

The DATA points to a slight increase on North Coast tourist numbers in 2013 - the North Coast being defined as DR1 does as being from Rio San Juan to Monticriti.

Cant be bad !

Olly and the Team

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Ok - I do believe you - a brief look on the internet does show many stories. Plus, I would hear of a few women, who somehow found a way to travel to Europe, and would say they were working as a "hairdresser" or something like that - and I would always wonder, how is that possible??, because the economics never added up - I had my suspicions that "other activities" were happening when they traveled, but it was never something I could directly ask a question about. Your comment about the friend whose wife went to Italy was the first chance to indirectly even be able to ask about this kind of thing.
I have also heard of young women telling their families they were going to work at an All-Inclusive hotel - and had my suspicions about how many of them of actually working for a hotel as opposed to doing "other activities" that pay more than being in a "normal job".
I am not judging any of the women. I know some are doing this work because it will pay the bills, especially if they had kids young and the father is not around. Some do it to get ahead (and hopefully they do not waste the money on pointless, temporary luxuries). And hopefully they do not have to deal with pimps and drugs, but I am sure some do.

my neighbor's daughter told me that she was going to Jamaica to work in an all inclusive hotel. the day before she left, i asked her the name, and she said, like Steve Martin, "i forgot"...hmmm

Apr 13, 2011
Thanks for the brief tangent into off-topic...
Though, if it relates, I have heard more locals saying they were going to work in Punta Cana than going to the North Coast.
If the North Coast numbers of visitors are even (or down) - is it because more people are going to Punta Cana?

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
MJS,
Yes many more tourists are going to Punta Cana. Punta Cana - 2,584,487 versas Puerto Plata - 353,857 in 2013. Seven times as many!!! So probably there are more oppourtunities in PUJ for everything !

Olly and the Team

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
MJS,
Yes many more tourists are going to Punta Cana. Punta Cana - 2,584,487 versas Puerto Plata - 353,857 in 2013. Seven times as many!!! So probably there are more oppourtunities in PUJ for everything !

Olly and the Team

or, maybe POP has just reached the end of the tourism destination life cycle.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
as soon as PUJ build more non all-inclusive hotels. El Cortecito seems to be the favorite "bring them back to your room" from Mango hotel.