North Coast Weather

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
very similar to what we have here on the Eastshores,
even that we started windfree, we had a high surf from last night on, building up on the reefline during the tidal change, by Noon today the passeges over the reef been closed/impassable due dangerously high surf, the current and light wind been in the morning coming out of the NNE.
during the afternoon it shifted by winddirection, went to come from the east and is now back from the NE with a harsh and cold wind blowing from there, our tide is coming in since hours, but the passages did not calm a thing, the opposite, they are a rough mess by now.
it's wintertime in the caribbean, we are used to exactly that several time per winter season from late november til mid february.
will need to check the Sea conditions very early morning, sadly this time of the year is also our super busy week for fishing, to see what's possible and what not. as usual, better to cancel and stay safe than to get a mess is the rule.

good luck for the northshores

Merry Christmas

Mike

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
very similar to what we have here on the Eastshores,
even that we started windfree, we had a high surf from last night on, building up on the reefline during the tidal change, by Noon today the passeges over the reef been closed/impassable due dangerously high surf, the current and light wind been in the morning coming out of the NNE.
during the afternoon it shifted by winddirection, went to come from the east and is now back from the NE with a harsh and cold wind blowing from there, our tide is coming in since hours, but the passages did not calm a thing, the opposite, they are a rough mess by now.
it's wintertime in the caribbean, we are used to exactly that several time per winter season from late november til mid february.
will need to check the Sea conditions very early morning, sadly this time of the year is also our super busy week for fishing, to see what's possible and what not. as usual, better to cancel and stay safe than to get a mess is the rule.

good luck for the northshores

Merry Christmas

Mike

Thanks my friend and stay safe. Winds starting to build... and the surf too. I'll have a vibrator bed tonight since our foundation goes down to the reef that is being pounded.

GOOD conditions for EXPERIENCED surfers... with safety gear and back-up help.

Mike, buddy.... North Coast is on the Atlantic Ocean... not Caribbean. ???

Last edited:

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Ringo Buddy,
I guess you know that I know that the northshore is located on the Atlantic Ocean's Waters, the same here on the Eastcoast, we are all Atlantic Waters, as fact two third of our caribbean Island are on Atlantic Waters, not the Caribbean Sea.
but also fact, we are all and on all shores a Caribbean Island, doesn't matter which waterbody we border, if you look up all caribbean islands and take a count on bordering which waterbody you will find out that more than three quarters of all caribbean island shorelines are on Atlantic Ocean waters.
to be in the Caribbean does not mean to be at the Caribbean Sea.
3 of the 4 Islands named the Greater Antilles/the 4 biggest Caribbean Islands, contain much more Atlantic Water shoreline than the lil bit of Caribbean Sea touch they have, they are Cuba, DR, PR and Jamaica and in that exact order by size, only Jamaica is surrounded by the Caribbean Sea.
anyways,
to be at the water/shore of the Caribbean Sea or the Atlantic Waterbody does not mean to be on a calmer/rougher shoreline, as fact all late spring til late summer during hurricane season the Atlantic waterbody here on the East/Punta Cana is on the final count much calmer than the Caribbean Sea bordering Southcoast/Bayahibe/La Romana/St Domingo, hence the south receives yearly several times the damages than the quiet/calm East that time of the year.

people book vacations to the Bahamas, the Turks etc etc and say "we go to the Caribbean, heck, the Caribbean Sea is from there as far away as New York City, lol.

cheers and happy holidays

Mike

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
But ask:

Where is the "New World", on a map, that Christopher Columbus found? What was it named and what is the name now?
Ask someone to point to a map and show you where Hispaniola; La Espa?ola is? Santo Domingo?
Ask someone what waters are around the Dominican Republic? What Island is it on?

Nuff... Thanks Mike.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
the waters around a caribbean island are caribbean waters, doesn't matter if they belong to the caribbean Sea or the atlantic Sea, as both are here in the Caribbean, so they are Caribbean Waters, lol.
Hey,
don't say that people don't know how the Island been named before,
when ever the Guys in Puerto Rico wana tell ya they go to DR, they say" we go to Santo domingo", it is for them the name of the Island, when new friends over there ask my Guys "where is Mike from?" the answer given there is "de la Santo Domingo".
it is all about "Quizquea" and the Caribbean Waters surrounding it,
doesn't matter how other countries name Our Waters on their modern maps.

and it is f.ucking cold tonight, the passages on the Reefs are closed by Mom Nature's extreme high surf, the air feels as if i would be in the swiss alps on new year's eve and forgot to bring my winterclothes, lol.

Mike

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Cabrera Division reporting...... about the Atlantic surf.

Very windy and cool, winds strong from the NNE (by my best guess).
Hoping for sun --- for many reasons, solar and freshly arrived daughters want pure sunshine to recharge.

Merry Christmas everybody.

WW

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Cabrera Division reporting...... about the Atlantic surf.

Very windy and cool, winds strong from the NNE (by my best guess).
Hoping for sun --- for many reasons, solar and freshly arrived daughters want pure sunshine to recharge.

Merry Christmas everybody.

WW

Stinks here too in Playa Chiquita. Sand on the pool deck and a little in the pool and beach gate smashed from built up sand this AM. COLD! Looks like a burning the diesel day ... just to add a little more ... stink. :(

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
ha ha,yeah, the fireplace is the only thingy missing for the real christmas feel, aside of a bit of snow, lol.

we are here on the east also and again quiet cold today. no sun for this christmas, not unusual neither, it's december as usual. we had a stiff breeze early morning, came down a lot by now, the Ocean is on a very high level but not in the dangerous zone, we are offshore fishing and on both blackfins loaded with Mahis and Wahoos. the Predator is even fishing Big Game on the Fly today.
I guess a hot Gluehwein in the evening will be appropriate, instead of cold beers or such.

Merry Christmas

Mike

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Don't know if will work.

th_100_1886_zps7fc1b0ad.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Click on the photo/video.

Been working on photos and vids all day. This is a test run for a vid. This learning new systems... ARRRGGGG.

Taken last evening from our second floor. The coral reef is about 20 feet high from sea level.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
looks like you guys up theer have the calmer waters than we actually have.
just that I do not get the waves on the Beach here at my house, as they crash on the protecting Barrier Reef in front, so what comes to the beach are very small waves, always calm beachwaters.
at the Reefline this morning we had the swells bouncing each others producing a permanent 20-25ft Wall along the line.
a fantastic view when watching from the Beaches, the Boats here of course could not go off, the Passage over the Reef been well closed/dangerous to reach offshore waters.
we only fish with the Boats off my place at Cap cana Marina today, the entrance channel there been manageable on the safe side, offshore waters been fished til 10nmls only, as the Mahis been in numbers close to shore today, til the 10nmls margin it been high but not too choppy, easy to manage, specially when da Fishies are on.

looks like your house is located very close to the edge where Waves crash in on shore without a protecting Reef closing the Bay and calming the Waters/hitting the Waves.

I would love such location, to hear the Ocean that close makes in my case for a great good night's sleep, but with my lil Babygal I am of course happy in the calm Bay, swimming year around is no problem, neither to play there for the Kittens.

the last 2 nights been of the rare occurance when I hear up here the Waves crushing on the Reefline,
the Sound of the Sea's Thunder, fantastic.

Mike

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The waves here in el Breton are as high as after Sandy

Breezy and chilly/cool, maybe low 70's

Batteries charged w/ one hour of mid-day gasoil

Family huddles together..........:bunny:

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
The waves here in el Breton are as high as after Sandy

Breezy and chilly/cool, maybe low 70's

Batteries charged w/ one hour of mid-day gasoil

Family huddles together..........:bunny:

Wind kicking up again but more out of the NE. Swells had gone down a little but now with the wind up, so are the swells. Dark, windy, rain and cold.

My video above was of the smaller waves hitting since it was a test/learning session for me. (clicking on the photo opens a window, bottom right click for full page viewing...... I think?)

I'll let my inverter start my gen. when it tells it to. (I ain't going out in this stick... not even the dogs are going out.)

(I'm having the help bring in the horses early... before they go home. My bad!)

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Awful for the visiting family members we all have

CB says its 62 in Jarabacoa..... BBRRRRRRRRRRR!!

I noticed that many of the nice homes have a FIREPLACE. So CB is most likely comfy roasting marshmallows or doing popcorn in front of it. (Dang my wife for not letting me put on in.) :)

HEY all. At least we are not in the cold and snowy NORTH with a shovel in hand.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
tough times in Paradise, tough times in paradise.
the day we reach 62F here on my Beach I will pack my suitcase and move on, but that will never happen.
I love our "Fireplace", it's right on the Beach's Sand, suits perfectly to grill Fishies and as today a lil Lechon of 23lbs etc etc, we name it BBQ.
or do you Mountain Guys have some other kinda Fireplace in your Island Houses?

Mike

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Good Morning from Playa Chiquita! It's just starting to get light in the east. I can see the stars and a few clouds out to sea. COLD! No wind or rain............ yet? Ocean swells appear to be down some since our house is not vibrating and the thunder from hitting the coral reef is way down.

Dec. 21st was the shortest day of the year so LONGER days are here so we will get warmer and more solar. :)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Cabrera Division
Sea swells going down,,,, rain still seems to find us but clear skies out over the water.

Temperature improved last evening after wet, cold day of low 70's.

Hoping for some sun.
The gasoil salesman will be giving me a Christmas present. Cliente #1

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Cabrera Division
Sea swells going down,,,, rain still seems to find us but clear skies out over the water.

Temperature improved last evening after wet, cold day of low 70's.

Hoping for some sun.
The gasoil salesman will be giving me a Christmas present. Cliente #1

:eek:gre: :disappoin :ermm: :angry::mad:
Clouds have moved in with some rain showers.