not ticks not fleas.what are they?

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
my dogs have these little bugs ..i know they are not fleas..they dont jump...and they are not ticks because i see no legs...but they walk,, they must have little legs...my dogs are itching and have red spots..and now i find these things all around the house...if i squeeze one they will pop with blood so i know they are similar to ticks...anybody ever had something like this?maybe baby ticks?

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
What colour are they? You know ticks when they get full, the legs get absorbed and they arent easy to see. Can you not take a photo of one to show us?

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Could be chigger mites. They look like very little round 'fleas' ,red/redbrown in color and cause enormous itching where the mite has bitten.
Chigger mites do not really infest your house but can be spotted on walls when you have an outbreak. You can get rid of them easy by bathing your dog wit babyshampoo. Water washes the remaining mites of the body because they do not hold on like ticks and the baby shampoo gives relieve for the itching. You have to do this several day's in a row until all mites and their larva are gone.

Acira

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
Those things are a pain in the a#@ had an infestation of them few weeks ago the got my pitbull pretty bad took many baths and my picking them off for days and also fumagating the spots the dogs liked to lay diwn in but they are gone now!

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
They sound like baby ticks to me. Love climbing walls. Most vets have shampoo and an unbranded equivalent to Frontline which is a fraction of the price.

Matilda

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
very difficult to get rid , we had them well after the dogs had left and the sprayers had been in , they still hung around waiting for dogs (no comment)

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
Get this stuff called bano de baca and mix it like 4 cc per gallon and get a sprayer and spray all the areas the dog is also inject the dogs with invermectim (not sure if thats corretc spelling its a brown bottle with a pink label ) once a month I had the same oroblem those things get everywhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have 6 dogs so i know your battles!

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
they are black in color and cause a lot of itching for the dogs. they are very small in size maye 1 to 3 mm, oval (almost rectangle) in shape, very small legs. def. not ticks. someone said ear mites not sure about that bec. i dont see them in the ears but must be a mite of some sort. initial google searches didnt come up with any ID's but gonna try some more. Its hard to get a photo they are so small. i got a vet looking at em in a day or two, and I saved some in a shot glass for him.

milo

Jan 27, 2005
I think they are small ticks, and they must have been blowing in the wind near Costambar yesterday. I removed over 30 in one dog's ear, and every couple of hours there were more crawling on the balcony and onto the dogs.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I looked at one through someone's eyeglasses (guess I need them too!) and yes they might be small ticks with a small blood sack. bigger ticks' blood sacks are rounder and greyish in color thats why I didnt think it could be ticks because these are black and oval in shape. but under eyeglasses i could see the legs on the outside of the body, before I thought their legs were small and underneath,, but now I can see them pertruding from the sides. they are just very small. I will confirm with a lab tomorrow, i saved one in a shotgass. sorry for my bad punctuation but this mini computer is a pain in the butt. what remains a question is whether these are regular baby dog ticks or whether its some species of mini tick. i suspect its baby ticks because i have been finding other normal ticks too.

Aug 21, 2007
Couple of weeks ago, I found a few of these devils on the floor around my bed. It just happened that, one night, I woke to incredible itching that was not at all like a mosquito. The next morning, I found these little critters. Dead. There were no bumps on my arm, but several days later, a small line of bit marks appeared. The bite marks turned into scabs, then healed.

I have no idea what got me. If it is what is biting your dogs, it is a mean little bugger.

Since then, I have not seen them.

Lindsey

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
do they fit my description, black in color, sort of oval or beetle shape. maybe 1 to 2mm in size? legs hard to see?

Couple of weeks ago, I found a few of these devils on the floor around my bed. It just happened that, one night, I woke to incredible itching that was not at all like a mosquito. The next morning, I found these little critters. Dead. There were no bumps on my arm, but several days later, a small line of bit marks appeared. The bite marks turned into scabs, then healed.

I have no idea what got me. If it is what is biting your dogs, it is a mean little bugger.

Since then, I have not seen them.

Lindsey

Aug 21, 2007
do they fit my description, black in color, sort of oval or beetle shape. maybe 1 to 2mm in size? legs hard to see?

Yes!

Only one thing I didn't add.....My bedroom is on the 4th floor of our building. In the tree tops. We have lots of garzas....great blue herons...nesting in our trees. Just the day before I found the bugs, I opened my bedroom door to discover one garza on my bed and another relaxing on the rug on the floor.

I would like to think these little bugs were guests of the birds, since I haven't seen them since. (But- must add that since that day, I have not been leaving my balcony doors open.)

I like only INVITED guests in my bedroom.

Lindsey