Now this I call reckless!

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005
If they really, really want to help they should go to Haiti. It is not that Dominican Republic does not need the help, but the Haitians need it more.

The Mormons have been in DR since late 70's and they have been doing great, so what is the big deal.

Aug 6, 2006
It would not be hard to get lost in Paraguay, anywhere away from Asunci?n. You can be a Guarani millionaire there for only about $255 US. The smallest coin is the 50 Guarani.

These missionaries may be a bit nutty, but they are not harmful to anyone. They have a perfect right to do what they did, of course.

The Granja El Roble belongs to Peter Gardner and his family. Peter is fro[/URL]m E. Germany and has a degree in agriculture from a technical school there. He got tired of freezing in Germany and moved to Paraguay 25 years ago and married a local woman. He has a number of exotic animals and hosts Mennonite Germans from the Chaco in the Summer and backpackers all year.

Paraguayan Adventures | Short and long stay accommodation, wildlife trips, and river journeys on a beautiful Paraguayan farm

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Agree with Rob. They'll be OK. I'm sure they have enough money to get through those two years very comfortably. In addition the church is helping them and on top of that if people donate as the pastor asked they're going to have a decent income coming in just from that.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Whenever I have the misfortune to see one of these preachers in action, almost always a large proportion of their speech is about raising money! No different here. :cry:

Aug 6, 2006
One might assume that God should be able to fund these ventures easily. He's been in business a long time, but apparently has not caught on to the miracle of compound interest.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
This thread, like ANY that mention "GOD", or religion, just gives the DR1ers who have an "Anti god/religion agenda" a chance to run their agenda.
I have no "Dog In This Hunt", so I don't care, but stop trying to act like you really care what these people do.
I Don't!!!!!!
I got bigger things to "PI$$ ME OFF"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

ps,..."XO" you don't have to "Google" every topic on DR1 and post what you find!
This is supposed to be about the DR, not all the other countries you "Google"!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
This thread, like ANY that mention "GOD", or religion, just gives the DR1ers who have an "Anti god/religion agenda" a chance to run their agenda.
I have no "Dog In This Hunt", so I don't care, but stop trying to act like you really care what these people do.
I Don't!!!!!!

ps,..."XO" you don't have to "Google" every topic on DR1 and post what you find!

whaaa??? Blackbeards closing for remodelling?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
These people have a support system so this really is no big deal. Also, generally missionaries are fairly resilient to change and inconveniences, in fact many enjoy it. I expect their real challenge will be learning the language for the parents. Given that they will be among other local Christian community the cultural challenges would be of little consequence. Finally, if people never moved from one place to another we would all still be back in Africa.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
I hope they are happy and do well in this season of their life. There are certainly less productive ways of spending one's time in DR, and they seem to mean well.

Mar 1, 2009
I hope their kids marry locals and 'mejoren" la raza, hahaha. I wonder if the mosquitos bite as bad in Jarabacoa as they do in Haina?
The anti God crowd is usually so hostile, it's vehement. I'd tell you all to get some Jesus in your life, but I already know what the answer will be hehehe...
Anyway I think Haiti could use a nice habitat for humanity program. Maybe they can volunteer for that.

LL
CC

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Just about every semi-organized christian church has a mission-based component to their ministry. A lot of folks tend to go out and do the typical schools/wells/irrigation system thing, and slip the locals a copy of the Bible when they can.

Others see it as a spiritual vacation, in which they can get into a better, cheaper climate, and feel good that they're doing God's Work.

That said, many of these mission trips are quite well-funded, and travelers are often willing to pay (or fund raise) a premium for the experience.

From the video, it sounds like he's going to serve as a sort of liaison/expediter, and make all the arrangements for the teams coming in. Think of it as a sort of combined travel agent and project manager for small to mid-sized groups of people coming in for weeks at a time, once or twice a year, every year. It would be seasonal work, peaking during summer vacation for school kids. During the rest of the year, their time would be their own. And each one of those groups would prefer to do business with someone like-minded.

They could actually do quite well with that business, much better than some dude opening a bar in Sosua Beach.

A number of folks already do this. The key is having the church contacts back home. Dominican Republic Mission Trip through Praying Pelican Missions

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
My sister came to the DR for a "Habitat For Humanity" project.
Normally, local merchants donate building materials, and the future homeowners do the work.
You help build your neighbors house, then he helps you build yours, and so on.
In the DR, no one donates any materials, and everyone builds their house at the same time.
They found that once a Dominicans house is finish, he won't help build any more houses!
Now why doesn't that surprise me???
The "Habitat" volunteers had to purchase all the building materials, before they arrived to build.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
No donor lines

In the DR, no one donates

It is sad to say the only time Dominicans will line up is for service at government offices or to receive the benefits from someone else's donation.

There are no lines of Dominican donors.

Regards,

PJT

Mar 1, 2009
There are many, many generous donors in DR. The thing is you don't want to giving stuff to everybody. There are to many vivos who will come asking for the stuff acting like their in dire and desperate need, then once you turn around they are selling it to make money.

The donors try to keep it on the down low.

The lines would be endless.

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Aug 6, 2006
I Don't!!!!!!

========================================
I spent a couple of weeks in Paraguay at Peter Gardner's place, FYI and thought it was really interesting.
I heard that the last puta in Belen, the nearest town, moved away, but I did not choose to post that.There are two flourishing cathouses in Concepci?n, but I only know of these secondhand. Perhaps you might volunteer for a voyage of discovery.