Now we really need residency

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
And what about those who live there 8 months of the year, or the majority of the year but also live in another country?
I know many people who do that and dont have residency and just pay the fine at immigration in the capital. With no problems, warnings of illegal activity or complaints from Domincian government officials.

Last edited:

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
I am resident in 4 countries (assuming that a residency does not lapse)
Is that bad?
Incidentally, I have my business affairs run out of a fifth country that I never visited yet.
Such is the way of things these days.....

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
And what about those who live there 8 months of the year, or the majority of the year but also live in another country?
I know many people who do that and dont have residency and just pay the fine at immigration in the capital. With no problems, warnings of illegal activity or complaints from Domincian government officials.

Great question and if there is a fine system then Fine....

Those are the rules so why pay a morality penalty for abiding by them.

This information is what bring people here anyway so when you change the rules after an informed decision was made to come here, invest etc. Then why would you reward that?

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
My friend who is Cuban but her young son is Canadian born, and they live in Cuba for 8 months of the year.
Even though her son is in a foreign school in Cuba he has to leave the country every 3 months if only for a day. So a flight for a week out of the country, no choice.
When he was a newborn she over stayed his 3 month visa, well officials came to her house and took away the babys passport and told her he had to leave by a certain day.
I know people who are in the DR for the winter 6+ months because they cant stay that long in Cuba. That was a deciding factor.
In Costa Rica the govt is very tough on visitors overstaying their visas to the point that some tourists are stopped on the street and asked to check passports to make sure they have not.
In other countries if you over stay your Visa and when you try to return, you probably will be red flagged and maybe not allowed to re enter.

IMO the Dominican government obvioulsy does not care if people overstay their visas, and are actually encouraging it because they see the overall financial benefit to people staying here a long time and want that, and until they do and get strict and serious about it like many other countries, nothing is going to change.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
My friend who is Cuban but her young son is Canadian born, and they live in Cuba for 8 months of the year.
Even though her son is in a foreign school in Cuba he has to leave the country every 3 months if only for a day. So a flight for a week out of the country, no choice.
When he was a newborn she over stayed his 3 month visa, well officials came to her house and took away the babys passport and told her he had to leave by a certain day.
I know people who are in the DR for the winter 6+ months because they cant stay that long in Cuba. That was a deciding factor.
In Costa Rica the govt is very tough on visitors overstaying their visas to the point that some tourists are stopped on the street and asked to check passports to make sure they have not.
In other countries if you over stay your Visa and when you try to return, you probably will be red flagged and maybe not allowed to re enter.

IMO the Dominican government obvioulsy does not care if people overstay their visas, and are actually encouraging it because they see the overall financial benefit to people staying here a long time and want that, and until they do and get strict and serious about it like many other countries, nothing is going to change.

That's my interpretation as well.

I like the cost of overstaying the vistors visa as the 5 year rule works in harmony with passport renewal.

I think the Dominican Government has the right idea here!

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
I imagine that if you overstay your (visitor) visa you are here illegally.
A fine where I come from is handed down when you do something illegal, be it civil or criminal.
I think we get used to the notion that because it is "O.K." here to drink a few beers and drive in D.R. that it is not illegal.
I think it still is illegal but you can get away with it here as opposed to in most first world countries.
Just because the laws are not enforced, it does not mean that breaking them is not illegal.

The more the country becomes civilized the less you can get away with stuff, regardless of whether it seems O.K. to do it or not.
Eventually, when this country is civilized like the U.S, Canada, U.K, Germany, whatever - it will lose its appeal. It will be Kansas with platanos.

As I have said before - we trade a little standard of living for a little quality of life.

AS explained in another thread, if you overstay your tourist card you don't pay a fine but you pay for a prorroga. The legal way is to obtain the prorroga before the end of the 30 days (if it's still 30) your tourist card allows you to stay in the D.R.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Just another master plan...

Everybody that has been living here for a long time know that this is just another great master plan inspired by the "first" world.

- Helmet laws 5 years ago or so "Now it will be enforced all over the country". Hmm yeah right. They do their raids now an then during holidays. Only purpose of these raids are money for the underpaid cops.
- Breathalyzers, I have seen one of these ONCE and that did not even work.
- No open bottles of alcohol in the car... I even saw politur having a glass of beer during Eastern some years ago.

Nothing will happen. This country will not be "civilized" and that might not be a bad thing.

I had residency but have not renewed it because of all the hazzle.

Enjoy life.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Lots of dialogue on this topic and very interesting to see if this is just another example of publishing what should be and then continuing the usual status quo, or real political change that will ever be enforced.

I agree with keeping things legal but its rather absurd and naive to think that all the gringos who stay here without up to date visas are either criminals or of the lower end of society or trouble makers.
If enforced this will seriously impact the already dwindling tourist dollars that come to the DR during a time when every dollar is desperately needed.
As mentioned, many people(upstanding) who prefer to live partial years in the sun will find that other destination with less hassle.

Would be nice hear where this goes as far real life examples other than this one mentioned in paper regarding two of Chinese decent.

ADECA

Apr 22, 2009
I think Mike I above picked up the key words with what he bolded. They are not looking to boot out people who just haven't obtained legal residency, but people who they determine do not satisfy the requirements to get one if they were to apply for one. And of course part of the approval process for getting a residency is that the PN doesn't see any problem with you, either because of what they may learn about your past elsewhere or what they may know or suspect about your conduct here. This is part of a more general anti-crime crackdown in the country. But I suppose it also serves to give notice to foreigners here who don't have a proper visa or residency that they can't rely on a lengthy judicial process if they run afoul of the authorities.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I finally got my residency card and cedula yesterday and it cost a lot less than US1000 as I did it by myself. the worst part are the trips to the capital and waiting in line.

One doesn't need to pay a lawyer a big fee if they don't need a garante, other than to draft up the carta de garante.

As far as being here illegaly, I belive they will have their hands full with the real troublemakers and won't bother so much with those who have clean records other than to ask for a picadita. Nonetheless, I recommend getting the residency as it isn't to difficult nor expensive.

drgringo

Apr 25, 2009
Hello all, I just signed up today and arrived in the DR this past week.

I am a Canadian who is looking at staying here for awhile yet unsure how long. One of the reasons I chose the DR is from previous visits it looks to be a beautiul place without visa hazzles for those who want to choose later if residency is desired. Wow! i see things may have changed a little. Are things getting strict here? Also my friend who re entered on a midnight flight a month back mentioned that there was no one available to even stamp his passport upon entry at SDQ??? He of course wanted this and asked around but was just pushed along and told not a concern. Is this normal? from past experience he wasnt concerned as says this is a bit of the wild west and you must just go with the flow or you will go nuts.Should he be concerned? Anyway in case I decide soon that i want to go down the residency process, can anyone recommend a reasonably priced lawyer who can assist in the complete process as I have substandard spanish. Any ideas on a good price through a lawyer?

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
lawyers and fees range all around 1000-1500.-US$ for the whole process,
one year later the same procedure and costs again to get the permanent residency. it is hassle free and no big deal.
no stamp at the lil St Dgo Airport??
wow, unbelievable, but stuff happens.
so he would not have any custom's proof about date when entered the country, of course such can be a prob when trying to leave and they ask about the proof that he did not overdo his turist visa allowance-time.
i would recomment that he at least keeps his flight documentations to have proof about his arrival in the country.
good luck
Mike

Cibaeno

Feb 7, 2009
Just in case that somebody needs a hand to get a residency, I am right now in the process of getting my permanent residency for 30.000 RD$ and it won?t take me more than 1 trip to Santo Domingo and around 2 to 3 weeks. The guy who does it for me is working directly in the "Junta Central" and knows everybody in the migration office. I also got my provisional one with him in no time. He just steps into every office and gets what he wants :)

If somebody wants the contact just let me know.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
i gotta rant here:
for god's sake why is it that extranjeros complain so much about the need of getting residencia yet spit and rave at "f***ing immigrants" in their own countries? c'mon, people...
:tired:

I have never complained about getting residency, I know that it is something that has to be done. But none of us spitting and raving "immigrants" are asking the Dominican government to give us free housing, food, and daycare. I spend a GOOD amount of money in this country and I am helping them, not the other way around.
I want residency because I want to be part of this country, my children are growing up here and need to be part of this country too. But I came here on a plane with a valid US passport and was welcomed when I arrived, not on foot ducking and dodging Immigration police.
To compare us to illegal immigrants in the US shows how uneducated you are.
SHALENA

Reactions: TOOBER_SDQ

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
When an official accepts a bribe, they don't do it in the name of the government or on behalf of the government. In fact, its called looking the other way for a reason...

But, there are plenty of non-corrupt officials who do act on behalf of the government while on duty. If any of you have to deal with one of those, well, its game over.

The government cares, the problem lies on many in charge of fulfilling the enforcement of the rules and the bending or ignorance of those rules is done after the official stops acting like an official and acts on purely self interest, induced by a bribe. Had the government not cared, then nothing would be done at any level, even passing laws, warning of new enforcement via the media, etc.

-NALs

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I agree with keeping things legal but its rather absurd and naive to think that all the gringos who stay here without up to date visas are either criminals or of the lower end of society or trouble makers.
Lower end of society or trouble makers? Well, that depends on the person.

But as far as being a criminal, all one has to do is brake the law. Many people think that a criminal is someone that does something "real bad" like murder or theft, but in reality what makes those acts criminal (and the people that commit them) is them braking the law.

A criminal offense is not the same as a moral "offense."

Expat13 said:
If enforced this will seriously impact the already dwindling tourist dollars that come to the DR during a time when every dollar is desperately needed.
If the DR tourism heavily depended on foreign residents, then yes; what you claim could be true.

But, the problem is that Dominican tourism depends on about 4 million tourists, the bulk of whom stay in all inclusive resorts and leave when their package ends.

This could be a problem for a place like Sos?a, but Sos?a (or Boca Chica) are not the main tourist centers of the country. Its one of the main ones, but thats well below Puerto Plata (all inclusive Playa Dorada being king) and B?varo (another all inclusive heaven). Everywhere else is pocket change in comparison.

The people in charge of the tourist department know that, as well as immigration.

-NALs

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I have never complained about getting residency, I know that it is something that has to be done. But none of us spitting and raving "immigrants" are asking the Dominican government to give us free housing, food, and daycare. I spend a GOOD amount of money in this country and I am helping them, not the other way around.
I want residency because I want to be part of this country, my children are growing up here and need to be part of this country too. But I came here on a plane with a valid US passport and was welcomed when I arrived, not on foot ducking and dodging Immigration police.
To compare us to illegal immigrants in the US shows how uneducated you are.
SHALENA

your post is a perfect example of what civilised gringos think about immigrants in their home countries. "free housing, food and daycare"? what about cleaning your houses, serving you in restaurants and doing all the jobs you think are below you?
i have lived four years in the UK (legally) doing all sorts of crappy jobs and it never occurred to me to get benefits and most of immigrants are exactly the same: simply trying to live decently.
and now, think about SOME of the gringos that come here to have sex with young girls and boys - just like your own. what about gringos who hide here from the police in their own countries?
forcing extranjeros to get a residency would pick up on this human trash.
and picking up on my education, please...

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
and picking up on my education, please...

Yes I thought that was uncalled for. Would invite you to repost your post in your other 5 languages, except most of us wouldn't understand more than one or two ;).

I can understand the scepticism in earlier posts about whether the authorities will actually enforce anything, but I do think the technical mechanisms have improved in order to be able to do so. I was agreeably surprised when I renewed my residency last month to see that Migracion has a direct hookup to the JCE computer wise, and that the renewal details for residency were checked against the details provided several months earlier for lodging biometric info for cedulas. Bear in mind these are two separate departments, I doubt if that would have happened in the past. Plus the jefe of the foreigners' cedula office actually appeared at Migracion while I was there. I thought he'd come to haunt me, bless him :cheeky:, but it was to 'exchange information' he told me. As to whether the authorities will round up 'illegals' (i.e gringos without residency) & deport, I doubt it as long as they keep their noses clean. But the minute they do something unwarranted anyone can report them, of course.

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Also my friend who re entered on a midnight flight a month back mentioned that there was no one available to even stamp his passport upon entry at SDQ??? He of course wanted this and asked around but was just pushed along and told not a concern. Is this normal? from past experience he wasnt concerned as says this is a bit of the wild west and you must just go with the flow or you will go nuts.

See my point exactly about the government getting its act together and getting serious about enforcing its own laws, before it expects the visitors to.
NO that is not normal anywhere around the world, I have never heard something like that in my life, in all my travels, to tiny little poorer countries than the DR! I guess immigration officials had more important issues to take care, that included some Brugal LOL.
Wild west yes, but this is 2009, there is not excuse for that in this day and age. The fish stinks from the head down. Nals you cant excuse such behaviour away. It is the higher ups responsibilty to combat corruption and fire unqualified staff.
That is absolutely scary. So your friend and a plane load of unknown people (who knows what type of criminals were in that plane) have entered the DR and were not met by 1 single immigration official???? Wow! No wonder people dont think they need to follow the rules and can get away with anything. There are no checks and balances.
So when these people with no entry stamp leave they can encounter a problem and also when they return to their home country as their immigration will only see an exit stamp.