Nuclear power cooperation between Russia and the DR?

E

Ecoman1949

I wonder how a nuclear reactor would withstand a 160 MPH hurricane? It probably has happened somewhere in the world already.

Factor in a tsunami that damaged a reactor in Japan, process failures that caused the Three Mile Island core meltdown in the US, engineering and process problems that caused the Russian disaster in Chernobyl, and you will understand why a lot of countries are moving away from nuclear power plants. Many countries including Canada have aging plants and the cost of refurbishment has risen to the point where it’s not economically feasible anymore. The Point Lepreau reactor in New Brunswick is actually built on a fault zone. That was factored in during construction. Should anything happen and a release of radioactive gases occur, the prevailing winds in Atlantic Canada blow west to east so my area has an impact potential. The elephant in the room is where to store the spent fuel. I remember reading a report in the 90’s on the current state of the US DOD Nevada radioactive waste storage facility. At that point the estimated cost of cleanup of the facility was in the trillions of dollars. That’s only one site. There are hundreds around the world. The up front infrastructure costs to build a plant is minuscule compared to the long term costs of storage, reprocessing and final disposal of the waste. A small country like the DR can’t afford to take on those liabilities. If they did and an accident occurred, they would need massive outside assistance from other countries. Other countries would intervene before this occurred because the threat is real. In a country still trying to supply basic infrastructure, clean potable water sources, sewage treatment and decent roads, the development of nuclear powered electrical generating facilities is not going to happen.

Last edited:
E

Ecoman1949

the U.S would never let this joke happen

Exactly. The US doesn’t want a potential nuclear disaster threat so close to their doorstep and they certainly don’t want Putin gaining an economic foothold and the influence that goes with it. The October Missile Crisis is still fresh in the minds of many Americans. A different kind of threat but still one generated by Russian political interests. More to the point, the economic future of the DR is closely linked to the US. The only current DR-Russian links are the Russian citizens who took their money and escaped to the DR after Putin came to power.

J

Juan Bosch

Well the Patriot system that the US sold to the KSA along with other military goodies did no good....maybe they were pointing the wrong way....lol...

Last edited:
J

Juan Bosch

Russians are becoming more like Chinese now, they realize they should expand economically to be a super power, learned from the best, US of A.

Russia has offered to sell Saudi Arabia their missiles for protection and even offered to go and fix their refinery this week... !!!? lol

Well the Patriot system that the US sold to the KSA along with other military goodies did no good....maybe they were pointing the wrong way....lol...

J

Juan Bosch

In my humble opine I don't see what the big deal is....chances of a nuclear plant being built here are zero to none.....this is not just about nuclear power plants....

"It is creating the basis for cooperation in a wide range of areas, including the development of nuclear infrastructure of the Dominican Republic, elaboration of programs to raise public awareness of nuclear technologies, application of radioisotopes and radiation technologies in industry, agriculture and medicine. Joint working groups will be established to define mutually beneficial joint projects"......

http://www.rosatom.ru/.../russia-and-the-dominican.../

Z

zoomzx11

A short time ago I would agree.
The US is now run by an orange loon ,pal of Putin, who does not care a whit about the best interests of the US

Z

zoomzx11

Is it possible an issue has arisen upon which there is 100% agreement?
We are missing a few nuts.
Have all the Jarabacoans checked in?
Still time to bust the concensus.

E

Ecoman1949

In my humble opine I don't see what the big deal is....chances of a nuclear plant being built here are zero to none.....this is not just about nuclear power plants....

"It is creating the basis for cooperation in a wide range of areas, including the development of nuclear infrastructure of the Dominican Republic, elaboration of programs to raise public awareness of nuclear technologies, application of radioisotopes and radiation technologies in industry, agriculture and medicine. Joint working groups will be established to define mutually beneficial joint projects"......

http://www.rosatom.ru/.../russia-and-the-dominican.../

Radioisotopes are readily available in Canada and the US for export and use in other countries medical diagnostic equipment. The DR does not need to go elsewhere for these restricted exports. This could be the thin end of the Russian political wedge to gain access to a friendly port facility for their fleet and an R and R island in the bargain. Cuba used to fulfill that role. Russia has and is developing a large icebreaker fleet to bolster their claim on a portion of the Arctic and the northwest passage. Russian subs, icebreakers and cruise ships already navigate the area. One dropped a Russian flag on the seabed as a symbol of their claim in the Arctic. The Russians know the Arctic hold resources such as oil and gas. It has much more to offer than the DR. I suspect the DR is a minor pawn in Russia’s long term political goals.

P

PICHARDO

Russia has pitched the floating Nuclear power plant for the DR already.

It will be based on the Ozama river, to keep the cooling system fed on fresh water.
The unit was built to deal with storms, strong winds and emergency cooling in case of fresh water starvation (with a single use liquid metal compound).

It's not only doable, but safer than one built on land.

The DR would not buy or finance the power plant, but sign a long term contract for the power generated to feed the national grid.

Rosatom would own and operate the floating power plant.

But the way they are working on it, is that Russia would take payments in a mixture of ways rather than USD.

Looking towards glow-in-the-dark Dominicans! Ain't we?!

U

USA DOC

Russia has pitched the floating Nuclear power plant for the DR already.

It will be based on the Ozama river, to keep the cooling system fed on fresh water.
The unit was built to deal with storms, strong winds and emergency cooling in case of fresh water starvation (with a single use liquid metal compound).

It's not only doable, but safer than one built on land.

The DR would not buy or finance the power plant, but sign a long term contract for the power generated to feed the national grid.

Rosatom would own and operate the floating power plant.

But the way they are working on it, is that Russia would take payments in a mixture of ways rather than USD.

Looking towards glow-in-the-dark Dominicans! Ain't we?!

….the words fresh water...and ozama river do not go together...you would first have to remove the garbage...….

C

chico bill

A short time ago I would agree.
The US is now run by an orange loon ,pal of Putin, who does not care a whit about the best interests of the US

You can drop that pal of Putin silliness, unless you still believe in the tooth fairy and Easter Bunny too

Z

zoomzx11

Russians are becoming more like Chinese now, they realize they should expand economically to be a super power, learned from the best, US of A.

Russia has offered to sell Saudi Arabia their missiles for protection and even offered to go and fix their refinery this week... !!!? lol

Russia having donald in their back pocket has changed things in terms of their world view.
trumps performance at the last G7 to try and get Russia back in was disgraceful and not in the best interests of the US

Z

zoomzx11

...you know to build nuclear weapons ,you first have to have a nuclear power plant...to produce the fuel for the weapon.....can you imagine these politicos with the "bomb"...…...

What a great idea.
The DR with nuclear weapons.

Z

zoomzx11

the U.S would never let this joke happen

You realize when you say US these days, its donald.
If someone told you a month ago donald would be meeting with the Taliban at camp David you would have believed it.?
Naw, "never happen",
We cannot underestimate the plethora of terrible ideas cooking in that orange head.

How about "lets use nuclear bombs on hurricanes"?
"Kim and I have a special relationship".
"Trade wars are easy to win".
Its a long list

B

Big

You realize when you say US these days, its donald.
If someone told you a month ago donald would be meeting with the Taliban at camp David you would have believed it.?
Naw, "never happen",
We cannot underestimate the plethora of terrible ideas cooking in that orange head.

How about "lets use nuclear bombs on hurricanes"?
"Kim and I have a special relationship".
"Trade wars are easy to win".
Its a long list

how about the DOW over 27000, real estate taking off, commercial rental at an all time high per square foot, lowest unemployment ever, less cumbersome gov oversight.

Z

zoomzx11

You can drop that pal of Putin silliness, unless you still believe in the tooth fairy and Easter Bunny too

You left off Santa Claus.
You deny the reality that donald trump is a pawn of Putin.?

Lets start with your explanation of why donald lobbied the G7 to bring Russia back in after they were tossed out following Russian annexation of the Crimea from the Ukraine.
BTW, you do know that not a single G7 member went along in support for donalds bizarre idea.
In international politics there is no free lunch, no free cheese in your terms,
Trump offered no reason as to why it is in the best interests of anyone but Russia to bring them back in.
Most certainly not in the interest of the US.
So we have trump acting in the best interests of Russia,
Not very American of the donald.

Z

zoomzx11

how about the DOW over 27000, real estate taking off, commercial rental at an all time high per square foot, lowest unemployment ever, less cumbersome gov oversight.

You do not understand the risk involved in crediting the donald here.
Hang your hat on the market is skating on thin ice.
When donald falls through he will be hard put to find someone to blame.
Blaming others is donald's area of expertise and he is warming up to pin it on the fed.
We shall see.

Any idea forthcoming on the G7 question I asked.

M

Mr Deal HD

Maybe Sosua, workers can stay in the fabulous new hotels during construction.

Should be a wonderful partnership between two corrupt countries with plenty of payoffs to negate safety and environmental protection rules.

Having unreliable electricity is bad but nothing compared to a nuke melt down.
Hurt the tourism biz permanently.

Corrupt DR politicians would do business with the devil for a buck.
In Putin they have his cousin.

I hope you’re not American, the most corrupt nation in history when being unbiased. Or are you an emotional beta male that throws logic and facts out the window based on your emotions and how you feel?

Most Latin American nations are now corrupted because of the direct influence of American politicians and agencies. They’ve admitted this before senate and congress hundreds of times over the decades...[emoji2365]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P

PICHARDO

Keep it to the DR, ruskies and glow in the dark Dominicans!

Back to topic!

E

Ecoman1949

The bull market started under Obama’s administration having bottomed out in 2008. Politics sometimes requires getting into bed with unsavoury types. Putin, basically a cold blooded KGB trained killer is not stupid. If he can increase his countries influence and line his already bulging pockets with more money, and help the DR with their unrelenting power distribution and production problems, then it’s a win win situation. I’ve seen the Russian prototype floating small scale nuclear power generating facility. By its size,I’m guessing it’s similar to plants used in large aircraft carriers and submarines. More manageable and less of a threat than the massive land based nuclear generating facilities. The Russians tend to build rugged things to endure in severe environments. The Kalashnikov, Russian MIGS and Antonov commercial aircraft are proof of that. If we actually get to the point where a portable plant will be sited and placed on line in the DR, the operation will be closely scrutinized by outside agencies with or without the DR’s request. The last thing the DR government wants to do is jeopardize their relationship with the US and the rest of their Caribbean partners. If the test proves the portable plant is reliable and safe, other countries may be interested in acquiring it. Stranger things have happened.