Nuclear power cooperation between Russia and the DR?

E

Ecoman1949

Keep it to the DR, ruskies and glow in the dark Dominicans!

Back to topic!

Don’t know about glow in the dark Dominicans. I’m familiar with the blend of Russian and Cuban genetics. That blend made for some very beautiful exotic looking females. If the DR gets in bed with Russia ( pardon the pun) we can expect the same in the DR. Blonde haired, blue eyed, exotic looking ladies. Ooh yeah!

C

chico bill

I hope you’re not American, the most corrupt nation in history when being unbiased. Or are you an emotional beta male that throws logic and facts out the window based on your emotions and how you feel?

Most Latin American nations are now corrupted because of the direct influence of American politicians and agencies. They’ve admitted this before senate and congress hundreds of times over the decades...[emoji2365]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who is "They" and please give us two examples of someone admitting this before Congress and the Senate, or are you just talking out of your flatulence valve ?

B

Big

The bull market started under Obama’s administration having bottomed out in 2008. Politics sometimes requires getting into bed with unsavoury types. Putin, basically a cold blooded KGB trained killer is not stupid. If he can increase his countries influence and line his already bulging pockets with more money, and help the DR with their unrelenting power distribution and production problems, then it’s a win win situation. I’ve seen the Russian prototype floating small scale nuclear power generating facility. By its size,I’m guessing it’s similar to plants used in large aircraft carriers and submarines. More manageable and less of a threat than the massive land based nuclear generating facilities. The Russians tend to build rugged things to endure in severe environments. The Kalashnikov, Russian MIGS and Antonov commercial aircraft are proof of that. If we actually get to the point where a portable plant will be sited and placed on line in the DR, the operation will be closely scrutinized by outside agencies with or without the DR’s request. The last thing the DR government wants to do is jeopardize their relationship with the US and the rest of their Caribbean partners. If the test proves the portable plant is reliable and safe, other countries may be interested in acquiring it. Stranger things have happened.

The Russians make and manufacture junk. Their cars, cloths and equipment are engineering catastrophes. Caterpillar has a half dozen locations in Russia. Why? because they need and use their top quality equipment that's engineered and built in the U.S. The USA will never allow Russia to put anything nuclear powered in the Caribbean That's a joke. The only thing the Russians produce that's decent is their hot young woman, and they have attitudes and grow beards when their 42

B

bonao99

They have great nuclear power with the III+ Generation VVER-1200. Turkey is installing one, china and India have a few
already operational. These new design produce 3GW plus, last for 60 years. Imagine one these in Cuba one in DR, connect PR and be done with power issues.

E

Ecoman1949

The Russians make and manufacture junk. Their cars, cloths and equipment are engineering catastrophes. Caterpillar has a half dozen locations in Russia. Why? because they need and use their top quality equipment that's engineered and built in the U.S. The USA will never allow Russia to put anything nuclear powered in the Caribbean That's a joke. The only thing the Russians produce that's decent is their hot young woman, and they have attitudes and grow beards when their 42

I didn't say everything the Russians made was good quality. I referred to specific things other militaries recognize as dependable in all operating environments. There are many consumers who still believe that North American car manufacturers still don’t produce vehicles comparable to the quality of vehicles produced by Japanese and European manufacturers. Boeing recently engineered and manufactured the new version of the 737 Max, an engineering catastrophe that killed hundreds of people. Quality varies by country and product and cheaper usually means less quality and a short operating life. An in your face example of poor quality we see everyday in the DR are the Chinese manufactured trucks and motors. All made cheaper from poor quality steel and they deteriorate quickly. The DR doesn’t need US permission to contract with Russia for the provision of an electrical generating station, nuclear or non nuclear. More to the point, if the current US administration can turn a blind eye to what Russia did in Crimea, I can’t see them getting too concerned about a deal between the Russians and the DR to produce power from a floating nuclear power plant.

B

Big

I didn't say everything the Russians made was good quality. I referred to specific things other militaries recognize as dependable in all operating environments. There are many consumers who still believe that North American car manufacturers still don’t produce vehicles comparable to the quality of vehicles produced by Japanese and European manufacturers. Boeing recently engineered and manufactured the new version of the 737 Max, an engineering catastrophe that killed hundreds of people. Quality varies by country and product and cheaper usually means less quality and a short operating life. An in your face example of poor quality we see everyday in the DR are the Chinese manufactured trucks and motors. All made cheaper from poor quality steel and they deteriorate quickly. The DR doesn’t need US permission to contract with Russia for the provision of an electrical generating station, nuclear or non nuclear. More to the point, if the current US administration can turn a blind eye to what Russia did in Crimea, I can’t see them getting too concerned about a deal between the Russians and the DR to produce power from a floating nuclear power plant.

very good point on vehicle manufacturers, they are not up to the quality of the Japanese vehicles for sure. You have a good counterpoint. However the US did not need permission to turn the Ruskies away from Cuba. The D.R would no way go against the wishes of the U.S as it relates to Nuclear power, an economic embargo on the D.R would shut this place down in 90 days. Absolutely no chance of this pipe dream coming to fruition.

Also the Boeing airplane is top in its class, its the software pinheads, they are an arrogant and unapologetic bunch aint they

Z

zoomzx11

In my humble opine I don't see what the big deal is....chances of a nuclear plant being built here are zero to none.....this is not just about nuclear power plants....

"It is creating the basis for cooperation in a wide range of areas, including the development of nuclear infrastructure of the Dominican Republic, elaboration of programs to raise public awareness of nuclear technologies, application of radioisotopes and radiation technologies in industry, agriculture and medicine. Joint working groups will be established to define mutually beneficial joint projects"......

http://www.rosatom.ru/.../russia-and-the-dominican.../
There is nothing mutually beneficial
In any relationship with Putin.
Lay down with dogs......

L

ljmesg

Sosua will be cleaned up long before a nuke reactor gets built here. R e l a x.

J

Juan Bosch

Russia has pitched the floating Nuclear power plant for the DR already.

It will be based on the Ozama river, to keep the cooling system fed on fresh water.
The unit was built to deal with storms, strong winds and emergency cooling in case of fresh water starvation (with a single use liquid metal compound).

It's not only doable, but safer than one built on land.

The DR would not buy or finance the power plant, but sign a long term contract for the power generated to feed the national grid.

Rosatom would own and operate the floating power plant.

But the way they are working on it, is that Russia would take payments in a mixture of ways rather than USD.

Looking towards glow-in-the-dark Dominicans! Ain't we?!

Sources please......

E

Ecoman1949

very good point on vehicle manufacturers, they are not up to the quality of the Japanese vehicles for sure. You have a good counterpoint. However the US did not need permission to turn the Ruskies away from Cuba. The D.R would no way go against the wishes of the U.S as it relates to Nuclear power, an economic embargo on the D.R would shut this place down in 90 days. Absolutely no chance of this pipe dream coming to fruition.

Also the Boeing airplane is top in its class, its the software pinheads, they are an arrogant and unapologetic bunch aint they

Boeing is a world class aircraft manufacturer. In order to save production and development costs and time they went with a design that is decades old and stretched to its technological limit. The placement of the new heavier engines changed the centre of gravity making the aircraft nose heavy. That required a software program to counteract the change and that turned out to be the 737 MAX Achilles heel. Boeing has paid heavily financially and reputation wise for their mistakes.

I did say in a previous post the DR and Russia would come under close scrutiny by International and US atomic energy agencies with or without the DR’s permission. I also said the DR has closer ties with the US and does not want to risk alienating the US and as you say, suffer sanctions. On that we definitely agree.

If the deal goes through, the best case scenario is the plant proves it’s reliable and safe over the long term. Other countries see the benefit and use the same technology. The worst case scenario is the plant fails, a release occurs, and the Russians are embarrassed on a world wide scale. Putin cares about two things, his ability to line his pockets and the spread of Russian influence for good or bad worldwide. If the DR does get a Russian built plant, it will be under his personal scrutiny. If you are responsible for the safe operation of the plant, would you want Putin p***ed off at you for a massive failure? This is an opportunity for Putin to show off Russian technology to the world. I get some comfort in that but I still have reservations about the project and the potential for an uncontrolled release of radioactive contaminants.

Last edited:
C

Cdn_Gringo

I assume this floating dirty bomb will be situated somewhere in the south to supply power to Santo Domingo and its environs. If there is a release, the metropolitan centres in the south will need to be evacuated. This will be Sosua's savior as millions flock to the north coast to start over. Maybe we can get a McDonalds then and of course the real estate market here will boom again.

B

Big

I assume this floating dirty bomb will be situated somewhere in the south to supply power to Santo Domingo and its environs. If there is a release, the metropolitan centres in the south will need to be evacuated. This will be Sosua's savior as millions flock to the north coast to start over. Maybe we can get a McDonalds then and of course the real estate market here will boom again.

no there is some forward thinking lol

E

Ecoman1949

Jajaja! Good one CG. Proof that even the darkest cloud has a silver lining even if it’s carrying radioactive waste. Moose hunting season in my neck of the woods. The bush planes are taking off from my lake this morning. Love to see a few of these big walking speed bumps on the DR roads. That would slow them down. Enjoy your day.

J

johnnj2000

Please tell me this is a mistake! Between the Russians record on nuclear plants and the Dominican Republic's Government for Corruption, This is a disaster on a Global Scale! This CAN NOT HAPPEN!!
THE PEOPLE WILL SUFFER! . This country has a water problem already! How do they expect to cool a nuclear plant with fresh water!

J

johnnj2000

What would Putin care , even if there was a disasterous fallout , he knows the U.S. will suffer from it!

E

Ecoman1949

What would Putin care , even if there was a disasterous fallout , he knows the U.S. will suffer from it!

Putin is a long term thinker. His total takeover of Russian political power over a period of years is proof of that. An intelligent and extremely devious cold blooded highly trained former KGB officer. He will hang on to the reins of power for as long as he can by whatever means necessary. Under his presidency, Russia has been covertly and overtly spreading its political and economic influence in the Middle East, and in North America. He’s in bed with the Syrian president, the Chinese, the North Koreans, etc. He is focused on the Arctic and the establishment of Russia’s claim to a large part of it on the North American land mass. Long term political goals that have the potential to yield big benefits and line his pockets. The introduction, use, and long term reliability of Russian technology like the mobile nuclear generating plant is an important part of his political influence plan. He and others can see the business potential for this technology in a world with changing climatic conditions requiring more sources of stable electrical power. The last thing he wants or needs is a failure of Russian technology impacting the US. He does care.

R

RDKNIGHT

solar power is what they are building cepm is building a huge farm ... trying ti get away from diesel.....