Nuclear Power or coal, solar and wind?

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
A bit of a ramble on about electrical power/energy.

Back in 2011/12 I believe there was some serious discussion in the country behind the scenes about nuclear power. Duke energy wanted to be a player in it here. But since then I have not heard anything. With all the love going to the USA with sharing much of the DR info with the USA and the greater influence the World Bank and IMF seem to have I would have thought a juicy loan to the DR for nuclear power would be difficult to say no to. Perhaps with the greater amount of borrowed money now by the DR, the powers that be may have greater leverage in convincing the DR that they need a nuclear plant(s)...

Instead we have seen to two new coal powered plants get approval and some wind farm. With the cost of solar energy coming down, I would hope the country switches to more of that. With lower taxes with some other countries (China the cheapest and largest producer of solar panels) perhaps a new program to help people here to incorporate solar power into their lives and homes might be a good idea. The only problem with that is that world bank and Govt. people will not like it because its more difficult to tax that.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Alternative energy products are supposed to enter the DR duty free. So taxes are minimized.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
What needs to be done is to burn all of the fossil fuels that exist. Only then will there be a real motivation for alternative energy. And as a side benefit, it will be needed for fewer people.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
They say they are planning a new project in Barahona.
The wind does not seem to ever stop blowing there.

This will be in Enriquillo, Barahona Province
EGE Haina terminar? terminar? Parque E?lico Larimar de Enriquillo Barahona en 2016

The average wind speed in Barahona is about 4 M/s . That is under 9 mph. Good wind resources (e.g., class 3 and above) which have an average annual wind speed of at least 13 miles per hour and are needed for wind turbines to work well.

But someone, (like a "Solera"), will make money on this venture.

Aug 6, 2006
The figure you give is for Barahona, which is the provincial capital. The proposed windmills are to be in Enriquillo, which is some distance away.
I have not measured the windspeed anywhere,. but Barahona is not Enriquillo.

May 29, 2006
I want to see a business plan where any on grid electric system can afford 25%-30% theft through tapping into the lines. Try to enforce payments and you get huelgas and burning tires. The only future is off grid with the poor folk making due with USB 5.5DC and the rest on inverters and battery banks.

Aug 6, 2006
Much of the time the wind speed is 3.5 m/s which is less than 8 mph. Not a good location for wind turbines at all.

Wind speed in Barahona today (July 26, 2015) was 17 mph.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Jamming Blades

The system which provides the highest kickback money will be used here. :cool:

When it comes to wind generators the main question will be who does the maintenance. Whatever turns and churns needs a lot of it.
If Dominicans are to look after the wind turbines they'll screech to a halt rather quickly... :cross-eye
Thus for the local Einsteins I'd recommend solar power.

donP

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Much of the time the wind speed is 3.5 m/s which is less than 8 mph. Not a good location for wind turbines at all.

Wind speed in Barahona today (July 26, 2015) was 17 mph.

All day long? I suppose if it drops off it really doesn't matter since the populace is already used to blackouts.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
The system which provides the highest kickback money will be used here. :cool:

When it comes to wind generators the main question will be who does the maintenance. Whatever turns and churns needs a lot of it.
If Dominicans are to look after the wind turbines they'll screech to a halt rather quickly... :cross-eye
Thus for the local Einsteins I'd recommend solar power.

donP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRVwcTaiFeE

They won't be locals.......

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Windmill Maintenance

Dominicans

Scared_Mouse_zps4da5f9bc.gif

donP