OAS calls for combating the practice of vote buying; gives municipal election a good grade

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
OEA-erradicacion-compra-votos-El-Nuevo-Diario-1024x627.png
Source: El Caribe

The OAS electoral mission that observed the 2024 municipal elections in the Dominican Republic emphatically reiterated the need to combat the pernicious practice of vote buying. The OAS observers say vote buying is a crime that undermines the free exercise of suffrage and undermines voter confidence in the entire electoral system.

“We insist on the importance of adopting strong measures to eradicate it. Its elimination is a shared responsibility of the administrative, electoral, police and judicial authorities, as well as the political parties themselves and citizens in general,” the mission wrap-up letter concludes.

The document, which as a whole makes a positive assessment of the electoral process, highlights that in most of the country, the elections took place peacefully, despite isolated incidents reported before and during election...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
My friend heard that a candidate in a nearby town was offering payments for votes. Aa a good Dominican, she said: "Nobody has offered me anything, so I'm not voting!"