Observation, American vs. JetBlue

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
JetBlue is usually cheaper than American. So the travelers may be a bit different.

That is not true. I fly to and from my job in Cali via JetBlue and I usually pay $200-$250 more for JetBlue than what American charges. Again....I fly internationally almost every week or every other week I am either coming or going.

SHALENA

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
That is not true. I fly to and from my job in Cali via JetBlue and I usually pay $200-$250 more for JetBlue than what American charges. Again....I fly internationally almost every week or every other week I am either coming or going.

SHALENA

You are talking Colombia routes and I am talking DR routes to NY and FLL.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
American is almost NEVER Cheaper here in the NY NJ Market ... to anywhere in the DR.. not ever
the price differences for the same day , almost same time are at times huge .. not just $100 but sometimes many $ hundreds
.. no way they are cheaper from NYC .
In fact they were the first Airline I saw trying to break the $1000 mark for a flight to STI.. had never seen that before .
Have not flown AA in a long time . Not sure what AA is selling , but it sure is not Reasonable Fares ..
Maybe the CALI market is different
NY is Jet blue Home base , That is probably why.. you are thousands of Miles away from JFK . So in effect you are actually buying 2 airline tickets with Jet Blue ,not one ..
but sometimes here in NY you can even fly to BOSTON and then to the DR. cheaper than direct . which is ODD yes .

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Here's JD Powers 2018 the customer-satisfaction ranking published May 2018:
10. Frontier Airlines: 693 points.
9. United Airlines: 708 points.
8. Allegiant Air: 725 points.
7. American Airlines: 729 points.
6. Air Canada: 734 points.
5. WestJet: 747 points.
4. Delta Air Lines: 767 points.
3. Alaska Airlines: 775 points.
2. JetBlue Airways: 812 points.
1. Southwest Airlines: 818 points.
https://www.thrillist.com/news/nation/best-airlines-customer-satisfaction-2018

My personal opinions are that I like Jet Blue flying to the DR from the states. I'm not a fan of American after all of the overnight stays in Puerto Rico from the states because they didn't have enough butts for the seats in the plane going to St. Thomas. Of course they didn't have a direct flight like Delta, Jet Blue, and Spirit and ended up pulling out completely because of Jet Blue. St. Maarten too. Down to one flight two days a week I believe. ( I won't fly on Spirit). My preference in air travel is Delta. "They love to fly and it shows"..

For those thinking that air travel is some sort of status symbol, it's not. It's getting from point A to point B. If you want to be taken seriously in your status, go buy a Bugatti because nobody cares what airline you fly or if you sit in business or first class. Most are upgrades anyhow..

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
For those thinking that air travel is some sort of status symbol, it's not. It's getting from point A to point B. If you want to be taken seriously in your status, go buy a Bugatti because nobody cares what airline you fly or if you sit in business or first class. Most are upgrades anyhow..
Flying used to be a "status symbol" where airlines tried to out-luxury each other.

The true luxury fliers now do charters or have their own jet.

What's left is cattle car and I don't hardly see a difference between them, although SouthWest has a unique style.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I stick with American because they have a direct flight from Philly, an hour away. Newark is over two hours, jfk over three.

Of course, I have Atlantic City Airport in my backyard, but that means Spirit and changing planes somewhere

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I stick with American because they have a direct flight from Philly, an hour away. Newark is over two hours, jfk over three.

Of course, I have Atlantic City Airport in my backyard, but that means Spirit and changing planes somewhere

Basically just what I do. I stick with United because EWR is only thirty minutes away and has direct flight to SDQ. I have heard good things about Jet Blue but getting to JFK would require a BIG savings in airfare. Even then it might not be worth it considering the extra time and cost to get to JFK.

As always, there is no one perfect solution for everyone.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
As Frank Sinatra used to sing --

Let's get on a Big Bird and fly......

I found AA form PHL too rich for my recent flight (Oct 29)...
saved a bundle EWR - POP

My wife's UAL flight ---- EWR - SDQ Nov 7 was $331 R/T... upcoming
Now that's a deal

ljmesg

Aug 6, 2017
Is it true that Jet Blue will not let you one way into the DR without a return ticket?

Never had that issue with American.

Jet Blue non stops from POP to JFK and back again are well worth it.

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
Is it true that Jet Blue will not let you one way into the DR without a return ticket?

In my personal experience it is Jet Blue and Spirit that require it,American,United never ask.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

you weren't here for the JFK- AZS route

That was great !!

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Yea or Nay ?

How about Spirit ??? *don't laugh*

I have been watching December airfares from NYC like a hawk and it looks like Spirit has added a LOOOOT of flights to SDQ from EWR. Never considered Spirit before, but I am starting to have second thoughts.

I have school aged kids, so we fly at the most expensive time (the week end before Christmas and the week end after NYE), no way around it :tired: We travel rather light (especially compared to most Dominican on December flights :cheeky:) + I only do direct flights since I have an extra drive to Samana.

PS: I don't have any preference, although I slightly prefer Delta followed by Jetblue. I find Delta to be more generous in case something goes wrong (I have had my flights reimbursed last year because we landed late for example).

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
How about Spirit ??? *don't laugh*

I have been watching December airfares from NYC like a hawk and it looks like Spirit has added a LOOOOT of flights to SDQ from EWR. Never considered Spirit before, but I am starting to have second thoughts.

I have school aged kids, so we fly at the most expensive time (the week end before Christmas and the week end after NYE), no way around it :tired: We travel rather light (especially compared to most Dominican on December flights :cheeky:) + I only do direct flights since I have an extra drive to Samana.

PS: I don't have any preference, although I slightly prefer Delta followed by Jetblue. I find Delta to be more generous in case something goes wrong (I have had my flights reimbursed last year because we landed late for example).

Yes, Spirit has increased fliths into SDQ now they have 1 daily flight from MCO-SDQ, and another from EWR-SDQ. Same thing did Jetblue they started 1 daily flight from EWR to SDQ.

Spirit is very good option for you only if you have very clear that you are only buying a seat, they will charge you for Carry on, Suitcase, select your seats, drink water on board. You will be fine if you first check how much will cost you each one of those extra, add it to the seat price plus taxes, and then you can compare with the cheapest price from other airlines plus the suitcase price.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009

They did it to me 2x, so i completely stopped trying to play the one way ticket game . One supervisor was very ugly about it too.
I only stayed up to 10 days max. so it was just that I really enjoyed the "open end" Return leg concept , as i had to pay several times to EXTEND by a couple days which i think is a complete ripoff ..
Still a Loyal jet blue Customer though.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Yes, Spirit has increased fliths into SDQ now they have 1 daily flight from MCO-SDQ, and another from EWR-SDQ. Same thing did Jetblue they started 1 daily flight from EWR to SDQ.

Spirit is very good option for you only if you have very clear that you are only buying a seat, they will charge you for Carry on, Suitcase, select your seats, drink water on board. You will be fine if you first check how much will cost you each one of those extra, add it to the seat price plus taxes, and then you can compare with the cheapest price from other airlines plus the suitcase price.

I figured I don't really mind just paying just for the seat as it is such a short flight, nor do I really care where I seat on the planes and I always eat before & after boarding. As you said, I just have to figure out if the price of 1 checked bag and 2 carry on for my family is worth the hassle. Also, I will not accumulating miles which I hate.

Vamos a ver