Off the shelf drug store meds..

May 29, 2006
So on my last week in Hig?ey, I got a mild bug. No big deal, just a mild sinus infection and it cleared up in a couple days. The new GF brought over several items to help out, Friccilicont, a menthol rub, Aceite de hildago de bacalao, and some other anti-gripal med with Jarabe(herb mix?, syrup?). I already have a guatapanal mouth rinse I use and a B-complex called Prolyn, which is used to help appetite in kids. That is good stuff for keeping on the go.

What are some of the other common meds unique to the DR? That Septicon mouthwash is some crazy stuff.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
jarabe de miel, rabano y cebolla. does not work but it's very tasty!

Mm530

Dec 28, 2014
Jarabe does work ( in my experience) ...it has to me made right.

It is potent !!

May 29, 2006
Jarabe seems like a generic word for herbal syrup with a honey base.. I've got to say, that menthol rub worked wonders..

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The menthol rub is similar to Ben Gay. Which in itself is excellent.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
'Descongel' works very effectively for congestion, mild or severe, and is available readily across the counter at all pharmacies and at a small cost.

For any signs of 'gripa' I find 'Antiflu' which is available at pharmacies and comados at 20rd for two capsules is very effective and a decongestant too.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
jarabe de miel, rabano y cebolla. does not work but it's very tasty!

My worst enemy when I was a kid. Instead of honey, mom would put castor oil. yuck~!!!!~

You would find me under the bed. lol

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Jarabe seems like a generic word for herbal syrup with a honey base..

jarabe is just medicinal syrup, full stop. it does not need to be honey based or herbal.

My worst enemy when I was a kid. Instead of honey, mom would put castor oil.

my mom's old favourite was hot milk with butter and garlic. OVER MY DAD BODY, LADY!

but the jarabe i mean is a specific one, from laboratio rangel. tasty.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
My favorite is JARABE Berro y Cebolla with Rabano and Meil which is Watercress , onion, radish and honey. Works reasonable well at reliving symptoms.
My MIL makes Ginger tea with Cinnamon and god knows what else is in there, but it's tasty, strong, and seems to work.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
is it the one in absolutely vile shade of green and strong taste of melted plastic and vicks vapo rub?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Taste better than Buckley's mixture.

not familiar with the product but i see it is legendary?

28v8x3t.jpg

the taste of that radioactive, glow-in-the-dark concoction with watercress is acceptable. i've never experienced it to work thou. there is a cough syrup from a dominican lab crowe, called tusilexil:

11gosbr.jpg

this is very effective and rather tasty. rowe is a nice lab too, they export lots of their meds. here's an article about them: http://hoy.com.do/laboratorios-rowe-la-mayor-industria-de-medicamentos-de-rd/

as far as the teas... traditionally tea is drunk in DR when a person is sick and there are many recipes using local flora: fruits, leaves, bark, herbs, dry, fresh... i normally make hot water with lime juice, honey and ginger when i am sick.

May 29, 2006
At one of the spice vendors, they had guatapanal pods and various other herbal meds. Guatapanal looked like a very large woody lima bean and the inside is made into a paste for mouth and throat infections. I want to go back and have him explain the uses on a video. One was a bright red wood used for hair, but I don't think it was henna. Another was a long bean like pod used for constipation.

One of my friends is an ethno botanist. She does chemical analysis of herbal remedies to see what pharmaceutical components may exist in them.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
At one of the spice vendors, they had guatapanal pods and various other herbal meds. Guatapanal looked like a very large woody lima bean and the inside is made into a paste for mouth and throat infections. I want to go back and have him explain the uses on a video. One was a bright red wood used for hair, but I don't think it was henna. Another was a long bean like pod used for constipation.

One of my friends is an ethno botanist. She does chemical analysis of herbal remedies to see what pharmaceutical components may exist in them.

Chinola has numerous medical properties.