Off Topic Forum Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
imho, it would be easier to get an IT person who actually knows how to Limit access , as before .
I do believe free assistance was even offered..
Alienating a large group like this is not a good business model ..
on of the reasons , IMHO, Many will now rejoin as sock puppets and wreak complete havoc in the regular section..
People need a place to vent .. Every large Forum Board has such a place..
Best of luck to everyone ... enjoy.
Good idea but after working in BPO industry 20+ years I
can tell you with today's technology IP's are very easy to get around.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Great. Long live DR1. Now we can all get along in a civilized world with rules, law and order to be followed by all.

Glad the mods will have an easier time on regular duties, like keeping previously banned members from returning as evil sock puppets.

Thank you Delores, and Mrs. Ego and the rest of the mods for the great work.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Why would an American join a DR Forum to discuss US Politics when there are thousands of forums out there for this.?

Um , because they LIVE in the DR, and there is no need to be on a bunch of OTHER forum boards ... if this is truly your " Home"..
a " Community" , where people used to even have MEET and Greets . thanksgiving Dinners , Xmas Holiday get togethers .
um what do you think they also talk about at those Get Togethers ? What the best Exchange rate is ? where the best Pica Pollo stand is ?

Is the concept of " Home Base " so foreign to you..

and yes, I have a Degree in Marketing. and Social Media is all about understanding WHO your Demographics are. and then do everything in your Power to KEEP them.

but ,.Facebook is MORE than happy to steal these people , for their PRIVATE Groups .. so its not a problem

in fact a couple of people have already SIPHONED off Members to their Private Facebook groups ..
very efficiently I might add .
They USED DR1... and now dont even post any more ... not because of OT, but because they got what they came for .

i should be charging some of you for this .

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Go find someplace else to vent, there are plenty of options for you. This forum started,and was very succesful as a DR forum, not a US Political Forum. Maybe it can return to such without the venom.............
Perhaps you don't remember all the venom the Susua crowd used to vent on here before there was a US politics thread. EARLY EIGHTIES HAD SOME PRETTY TOXIC PEOPLE , AND THEY WERE RARELY CENSORED EITHER. Nobody died.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Good idea but after working in BPO industry 20+ years I
can tell you with today's technology IP's are very easy to get around.

I know 2 really good IT guys ... this is childs play .
they have run Forum boards since day one ,, owned domain names since LATE 90's . made their money .
there are some SMART people reading this site , who possibly want to RETIRE to the DR, or at least become Snowbirds
...they may not comment in OT, but they READ it and have access to it ,, this i know for a Fact ..
but it seems only the squeaky wheels get the oil... a sign of the times.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Perhaps you don't remember all the venom the Susua crowd used to vent on here before there was a US politics thread. EARLY EIGHTIES HAD SOME PRETTY TOXIC PEOPLE , AND THEY WERE RARELY CENSORED EITHER. Nobody died.
I also remember before the Off Topic came around all the advertisers on this forum. They disappeared quickly when they saw more posts on the US than the DR.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
now maybe Gorgon can come out of hiding.

You may not know this, ( which would explain your Ironic Anger dislike , at my prev post about " community and Home base"
and Just so this is PUBLIC... WE , a Group of us actually PETITIONED for GORGON to NOT be Banned ..
but we were told NO.. he is gone ... he is not hiding , he was banned .
No one who contributed as much as he did, should be banned .. no matter how much we disagreed with him on politics ..

Jan 9, 2004
For those who have been around long enough to know.........Off Topic was created by Robert to isolate the numerous non-DR posts that bled into so many of the other DR1 forums by expats who lived in the DR and those who had family/friends there. Then he specifically created the US politics thread. You were free to not read or post there and it left the other forums with only a smattering of political or off topic posts.

And for the most part it did the job as intended.

Those that did not want to view off topic could just avoid it..............but like gawking at a car accident.......some could not resist.........and then would post...........and then complain, for whatever reason.

It served a purpose to contain the inevitable. Now the non DR1 posts will likely revert back and be regularly injected into other forums............and the moderators jobs made more difficult trying to monitor all the possibilities.............

Good luck with that decision.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Um , because they LIVE in the DR, and there is no need to be on a bunch of OTHER forum boards ... if this is truly your " Home"..
a " Community" , where people used to even have MEET and Greets . thanksgiving Dinners , Xmas Holiday get togethers .
um what do you think they also talk about at those Get Togethers ? What the best Exchange rate is ? where the best Pica Pollo stand is ?

Is the concept of " Home Base " so foreign to you..

and yes, I have a Degree in Marketing. and Social Media is all about understanding WHO your Demographics are. and then do everything in your Power to KEEP them.

but ,.Facebook is MORE than happy to steal these people , for their PRIVATE Groups .. so its not a problem

in fact a couple of people have already SIPHONED off Members to their Private Facebook groups ..
very efficiently I might add .
They USED DR1... and now dont even post any more ... not because of OT, but because they got what they came for .

i should be charging some of you for this .

I actually stopped posting because of the effects of OT. I was made fun of when asking questions that I asked in regular forums by members that I had conversations with in OT.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
For those who have been around long enough to know.........Off Topic was created by Robert to isolate the numerous non-DR posts that bled into so many of the other DR1 forums by expats who lived in the DR and those who had family/friends there. Then he specifically created the US politics thread. You were free to not read or post there and it left the other forums with only a smattering of political or off topic posts.

And for the most part it did the job as intended.

Those that did not want to view off topic could just avoid it..............but like gawking at a car accident.......some could not resist.........and then would post...........and then complain, for whatever reason.

It served a purpose to contain the inevitable. Now the non DR1 posts will likely revert back and be regularly injected into other forums............and the moderators jobs made more difficult trying to monitor all the possibilities.............

Good luck with that decision.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
You make some valid points but I am thinking it’s also to some extent a business decision if the off topic section ended up having more traffic than the DR forum.

Reactions: Africaida

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
You may not know this, ( which would explain your Ironic Anger dislike , at my prev post about " community and Home base"
and Just so this is PUBLIC... WE , a Group of us actually PETITIONED for GORGON to NOT be Banned ..
No one who contributed as much as he did, should be banned .. no matter how much we disagreed with him on politics ..
Again, your futile attempt at mind reading has failed......but never mind...... I stopped responding to your drivel a long time ago.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I supported not banning him, and if anyone had more disagreements with the old grouch I 'd like to know who they were.

Status
Not open for further replies.