Offerman throws a nutty.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
He was on the all star team roster in 1995 with 0 at bats and went oh for one in the 1999 game as a pinch hitter.

He probably got more swings at the pitcher and catcher in that minor league game in Bridgeport than he did in the two all star games.

What's next for Jose? Open a colmado in Yamasa?

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Somehow I don't think his pay from the Long Island Ducks is going to make a difference in keeping his mansion in the DR. Most veteren MLB players who end up in an indy league are just hoping to capture back enough of their youth to get another shot at the show. Perfect example being Ricky Henderson (more than once).

sweettdbt - my comments about him playing to pay for his house in SPM were meant to be sarcastic. Sorry my attempt fell short. The downfall of sarcasm sometimes is that when written you can't hear the tone of someone's voice or see the look on their face. I'm sure you're right - Jose isn't getting rich and is only hoping for another shot at the Show. Of course his latest antics doesn't help him with that.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
De que hablan........

Lets get something straight here:

1- The guy IS an All-Star as he was selected 2 times. Just because he didn't play in one and only got 1 at-bat the second time doesn't mean he CAN'T be called an All-Star.

This incident DOESN'T make him an non-All-Star. Think Marichal people, think Marichal, just to name one of MAAAAAANY.

Does that means Pujols WASN'T an All-Star this year since he DIDN'T get ONE at-bat at the All-Star game?.

2- Offerman is a Millionaire who plays thinking of his past glory and the hope of getting another shot at the highest level as he is only 39 (in Dominican years, that is).

3- He played 15 seasons in the Majors with a .273 lifetime average. Not great but still not bad. Many have done worse.

4- What he did was dispicable and I hope to God he gets banned from baseball and gest what's the criminal system will throw hiw way.

5- If he is not an American Citizen, I hope he gets deported as soon as possible!!.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
What I hear was that in his first at bat he hit a home run and then at his next at bat he was HBP. He was p!ssed off, words were exchanged, and he broke the pitcher's hand with the bat and koncked the catcher in the head.
So he has been criminally charged with two counts of assault and will possible face jail time or an expensive out of court settlement. (The pitcher can retire on Offerman's money!)

Stupidity!!!

HB

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
What I hear was that in his first at bat he hit a home run and then at his next at bat he was HBP. He was p!ssed off, words were exchanged, and he broke the pitcher's hand with the bat and koncked the catcher in the head.
So he has been criminally charged with two counts of assault and will possible face jail time or an expensive out of court settlement. (The pitcher can retire on Offerman's money!)

Stupidity!!!

HB

I'm not a baseball expert, not even an amateur, so I have one question: what set him off? maybe he saw a look or a signal pass between pitcher and catcher and he thought he was hit on purpose? because if he was hit on purspose and he can prove it, then the pitcher also will have to be penalized. From what I hear the pitcher was expelled from the game as well.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Vedad que si....

Stupidity!!!

HB
Correct, pure stupidity at it's best!!.

The best way to deal with being hit, if you know you were hit on purpose, is to tell the pitcher, on your way to first base:

"If you come close to hitting me next time, I WILL make sure to hit the ball towards you, REAL hard, so you know how it feels like".

Worked for me!!.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i guess my 4000 bucks a month comment was worth deleting :ermm:. but i think it clearly shows that he is at the end of his road and this latest incident is the icing on the cake.

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
While I don't condone Offerman's actions, I do question why it's so bad for a batter who gets intentionally thrown at to retaliate. I mean, a pitcher intentionally throws a 90 mph baseball (his tool) at a hitter. Yet the batter is always wrong for retaliating???

It's one of those things in baseball that's completely bogus. If a pitcher intentionally drills a batter with a pitch, then in all fairness, a batter should be able to his bat (his tool) at that pitcher. Then they both should get thrown out and suspended.

In this case, Offerman was the only one "in the wrong?" BS. It's like a kid punching another kid in the face, then running behind an adult for protection.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
retaliation

Getting hit in the leg with a baseball isn't permission to beat someone with a bat. Pick the ball up and throwing it back at the picture I think is more reasonable - at least in your approach to "getting even".

A ball to the leg will hurt for sure. A bat to the head - or hand - can kill someone or forever destroy their abilities - baseball or a normal life.

It's part of baseball and Offerman, with all his experience, should know better.

Did the pitcher throw at him on purpose? Only a few know, but I wouldn't be in the least surprised if it was intentional. Perhaps Offy was showboating after his first inning HR, the pitcher knew his day was going to be short so he sends a message, that's acceptable baseball practice (not my rules, just the rules). Didn't read much on the "why's", but I doubt anyone would be outspoken in condoning his actions regardless.

As far as him being an All-Star, that's bogus. He's never been anything but good, definitely not great. MLB picks their All-Stars based on performance first, and representation second. Offy was picked with the Dodgers b/c he had a decent year and everyone else (at 2b) was off. He was a default selection then, and most definitely was with the Red Sox.

The year before Offy went with the Red Sox, I believe their rep was Shea Hillenbrand who was having a career year, but barely mediocre in the grand scheme of things.

my2sense.
While I don't condone Offerman's actions, I do question why it's so bad for a batter who gets intentionally thrown at to retaliate. I mean, a pitcher intentionally throws a 90 mph baseball (his tool) at a hitter. Yet the batter is always wrong for retaliating???

It's one of those things in baseball that's completely bogus. If a pitcher intentionally drills a batter with a pitch, then in all fairness, a batter should be able to his bat (his tool) at that pitcher. Then they both should get thrown out and suspended.

In this case, Offerman was the only one "in the wrong?" BS. It's like a kid punching another kid in the face, then running behind an adult for protection.

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Should have read a batter should be able to "throw" his bat at that pitcher...

If a pitcher is mad because someone hits a home run off of him, or upstages him, that's STILL not a reason hit that person with a pitch. If such were the case, bats SHOULD be flying out to the mound as well. That would be bush league, but it would also be fair play. However, baseball usually punishes the retaliator when EVERYONE knows what's going down. A 90 mph baseball can injure and has players before. Even in the legs.

I don't condone Offerman's actions in the least, but I understand. This is just another of baseball's double standards and it's been getting out of hand.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i don't condone it either but to arrest him and carry him off to jail ?
a pitcher that throws at a batter is not assault ?
a batter that retailiates is assault ?

yeah tone, i think MLB has got it twisted...

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
No se'.......

I understand 100% what you are trying to say, but we have to take into account that there are pitchers that do NOT hit batters intentionally.

Maybe Jose was, but we just don't know. If we charge the mount, bat on hand, every time we get it, baseball will become a "wrestling" sport.

There are so many ways to get back to a pitcher and not charge the mound carrying a bat.

As I said before, you can tell him you will hit the ball his way, next time up, you can grab the ball and throw it back at him, tell him your pitcher will do the same to him, you can, on your next at bat, swing at a ball and let your bat "slid" towards the mount.....

I did all of the above, in one time or another, while I played baseball. Never did I charged the mount with a bat.

That's just criminal.

Bwt: He didn't mean to hit the catcher. He hit the catcher while he was swinging at the pitcher, as the catcher was behind him (Jose). The catcher even continued playing but the got "lighheaded" in the dogout.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Pero...

I don't condone Offerman's actions in the least, but I understand. This is just another of baseball's double standards and it's been getting out of hand.

How is it a double standard?

Brushbacks and hit batters are all messages that have been in use for over a 100 years in baseball. That's not a double standard, it's the "unwritten rules".

If the commissioner (MLB) had to police the game in a fashion where players are fined or reprimanded for celebrations and whatnot we'd have another police state sport. Baseball is delicious in this way, it polices itself.

Soriano used to do the bat flip and canter around the bases after a home run. That stopped pretty quickly after Torre warned him, the MFY's traded him, and he was getting drilled in the back on his next at bat time and again. I absolutely and positively condone that.

Oh, and he doesn't do that anymore.

My belief is that football (NFL) has run this precarious "police-state" route and they fine players for excessive celebrations and whatnot. I find that expression on the field to be unsportsmanlike and I want nothing more than a huge lineman to come rumbling down, pick up the wide receiver that made the play and plug him up to his neck in the endzone. I despise that ludicrous chest pumping.

Baseball doesn't allow that and it isn't because of fines (like those fines cause ANY heartache to the offender?!) it's because those that respect the game keep the young in line - the unwritten rules.

That's not a double standard, that's kids figuring it out themselves before some indignant parent decides to come in and levy punishment.

The two sports are clearly different in respects to maturity as NFL'ers have high profile rookies that contribute, whereas in baseball you've got to beat the bushes and earn the title of ML'er.

my2sense.