Oh oh, Norberis is not happy about this...

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
Was it necessary to comment on her appearance? She gave a critique of a restaurant and you felt the need to try and degrade her. As a moderator I thought t you would know how to stick to the topic.

Tone it down.

Yes, he is a Moderator and a damn good one.

He’s also entitled to state his opinions and observations.

If you disagree then go ahead and state your differences.

For the record, doesn’t mean I disagree or agree with you but we are not going to shut down differentiating opinion.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
They are both a bit right and a bit wrong, in my opinion.

If I propose 1k€ to a random woman in my home country to go to a--- non existent--cabaña, I will get slapped and/or arrested.
In the DR, if I propose 60k pesos, I think we can all agree my odds of success are much higher.

Now, is it cultural ?
Well yes and no.
Yes, because for a dominicana, sex is a weapon, or maybe a better word is a tool.
Examples are everywhere.

And no, because economics play a huge role in my example. The wealth gap is huuuuuge in the DR, and 60k pesos is " life changing" for many, many women in the DR. More than 3 months salary in many cases.
Applied to back home, if I went around proposing 15k€, I am sure the odds would improve greatly of getting a positive answer
As the joke goes" We have already decided what you are, we are just negotiating a price."

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
3things:

1. Wow, has Da"Nancy changed! It used to be a couple of tables under trees.

2. She always dresses like a cheap barrio girl.

3.Best fried fish I've had in BC has always been the women in the small stands who let you pick your fish, tell you how much it is before they fry it, then fry it in front of you. That's as good as it gets.
She is a barrio chick, every seen her tattoos. However how she dresses is appropriate for the places she is reviewing.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
That may be due to being originally from Villa Mella. Spend a few years in the USA. Return to DR and now lives in Naco. That's besides the point because fried fish isn't commenting on your dressing style while you are busy eating it. Whether that fried fish is good or not is the real question.

DR fan1990

Sep 22, 2020
Canada
The most culturally accepted thing here is making money and saliendo adelante. Period. There are certain people and certain groups of people (many Adventists for example) who are more strict followers of the rules and who operate by a different code but I've seen many times that there is lots of lee-way given to people for all sorts of activities that on the face of things are otherwise "not accepted". If however it comes along with a good job or making money, or getting a visa or whatever it may be, the situation becomes much more gray and everyone from the youngest kids to the oldest grandparents will turn a blind eye to behavior that is perhaps "not ideal" but tolerated or accepted.

Family ties are also very strong here. Meaning, whatever someone does, whether or not it is "wrong" subjectively speaking has a lot to do with your relationship to them. For many, they and their families can do no wrong, no matter what the actual behaviors in question are. This is, again, especially true if this is done for, or contributes towards the families well-being or improving the economic situation.

"Buscando su cualto"... by all means necessary.
🤣

DR fan1990

Sep 22, 2020
Canada
I came accross this woman in Boca Chica last year with her black American boyfriend and his family visiting from the US.

DR fan1990

Sep 22, 2020
Canada
Nothing much. She was vlogging around Boca Chica when I met her.

I chatted with her for a bit (in a non-stalker way) and told her I recognized her from YouTube. She was thankful for that and she was all around cheerful. Probably waiting for me to ask her for a selfie together. Like when celebrities meet their fans after a concert. But I didn't ask.

• Haha
Reactions: bob saunders

Facepalm Supreme

Dec 29, 2022
Santo Domingo
Nothing much. She was vlogging around Boca Chica when I met her.

I chatted with her for a bit (in a non-stalker way) and told her I recognized her from YouTube. She was thankful for that and she was all around cheerful. Probably waiting for me to ask her for a selfie together. Like when celebrities meet their fans after a concert. But I didn't ask.
Actually that explains how the little girl speaks such clear english in the fish vid. Someone else said Norberis had spent time in the US so I figured it was her kid. Makes more sense that the kid was born and raised in the us.

DR fan1990

Sep 22, 2020
Canada
3things:

1. Wow, has Da"Nancy changed! It used to be a couple of tables under trees.

3.Best fried fish I've had in BC has always been the women in the small stands who let you pick your fish, tell you how much it is before they fry it, then fry it in front of you. That's as good as it gets.

And that cooking oil has probably been used and re-used for 4 days straight before they fried your fish in it.
That's why I don't trust fried food from small stands.

Reactions: Gadfly

Facepalm Supreme

Dec 29, 2022
Santo Domingo
That's a possibility, but I can look at cooking oil and get a fairly good idea of how fresh it is.
They let you back in the kitchen to look at the cooking oil??? :unsure:

Honestly I prefer to eat at home, or at midway- high class places to attempt to avoid food preparation problems. It just isn't worth it when you consider that all manner of grossest can and does find its way into your food when eating out *anywhere* but especially in a cheaper place. Exceptions may include mom and pop shops where they take themselves and the food quality very seriously.

DR fan1990

Sep 22, 2020
Canada

Honestly I prefer to eat at home, or at midway- high class places to attempt to avoid food preparation problems. It just isn't worth it when you consider that all manner of grossest can and does find its way into your food when eating out *anywhere* but especially in a cheaper place. Exceptions may include mom and pop shops where they take themselves and the food quality very seriously.
I hired a private chef for a few month last year and he would tell me about all the nasty unhygenic practices he had witnessed in low-scale restaurants... like rinsing all the fruits in vegetables in the SAME water in a bucket all day long, to save on the water bill. Never ever changing the water.
No cloro or vinegar to desinfect because we need to save money on those too.

Or overworked cooks using the washrooms and then immediately handling the food because they didn't have time to wash their hands with soap.

• Wow
Reactions: Facepalm Supreme

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Was it necessary to comment on her appearance? She gave a critique of a restaurant and you felt the need to try and degrade her. As a moderator I thought t you would know how to stick to the topic.
As a reader (not a mod) I like to see the reviewer in action. It's just me. I like it that way. His comment was not "degrading " as you took the time to say. BTW It's interesting that this is your one and only comment since joining our group in 2006. Dats, a lot of years. Your see, it's all about credibility. If she is wearing cheap barrio clothes, which it appears she is, that is part of my determining her credentials.OR, is the reviewer in this acting in a self serving manner. Cred again. Her cred. Your cred. One post since 2006 SMH. LOL. Have a bright, sunny day. I enjoyed thinking about your post and now will return to contemplating the lint in my navel.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
it may not be culturally accepted but that definitely happened i have seen it many times a husband pushing his wife to go with a man for money.

• Wow
Reactions: NanSanPedro

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Considering the fact that the majority of people here are not provided with opportunities for BASIC EDUCATION,

Considering the fact that there are more Cabañas than properly functioning educational facilities,

Infidelity may not be culturally accepted across the board, but it is a widely accepted norm here.

She presents a great argument, but she didn’t convince me.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

I wasn't talking about Da'Nancy, I'm talking about the street stands that sell fried fish. They'd probably let you fry it yourself if you asked.

Reactions: Facepalm Supreme