Oh oh, Norberis is not happy about this...

Nadie21

Jun 3, 2021
Santa Clarita
Tone it down.

Yes, he is a Moderator and a damn good one.

He’s also entitled to state his opinions and observations.

If you disagree then go ahead and state your differences.

For the record, doesn’t mean I disagree or agree with you but we are not going to shut down differentiating opinion.
Considering the fact that the majority of people here are not provided with opportunities for BASIC EDUCATION,

Considering the fact that there are more Cabañas than properly functioning educational facilities,

Infidelity may not be culturally accepted across the board, but it is a widely accepted norm here.

She presents a great argument, but she didn’t convince me.
She has all her facts! This is a shameless, reckless country with shameless social mores! This is a fact!

Nadie21

Jun 3, 2021
Santa Clarita
"Cut the balls off their guy"? Not fond of how that comes out. I know you are speaking metaphorically (for the most part) but if I said that a guy would "Cut the tits off of his woman" if she were having sex with other guys or acting coqueta -which is exactly how over 70% of Dominican women act when around a guy they are into, or just to go walking around the street wearing tight or revealing clothing -all of sudden we would need to have a "Domestic Violence" conversation that drags men through the mud.

NO one should be cutting anything off of anyone.

Back to the topic at hand - I've spoken amorously with over a thousand Dominican women. I agree with you that most do not see it as "ideal" that their guy be with other women. That said, the culture here specifically allows a man to be with multiple women "if he does it right", is the phrase that is commonly used. This includes not being seen in public places, not bringing home children or diseases, and not neglecting his responsibilities to the home, primarily the financial ones. When a man is 5'11 or 6'3 or 6'6 and he has a square jaw and he is fit or in shape, he is getting around, period. Even more so if he dresses professionally and/or has a job that brings in serious money. And the women that he is with know this, and they tolerate/accept it because they value being with him more than they do being the only one that is with him.

That said, I will agree with you that there are lots of guys who don't fit this caliber and are mujeriego and their women do (eventually) get fed up and leave them. I will also agree that in general it is a difficult thing for a Dominican woman to accept. That said, culturally it is widespread, common even, and not a secret. It happens, every day, amongst every social/economic class.

I don't want to keep having to rehash this conversation but I know it'll come up over and over again. Dominicans aren't living in the kind of "poverty" that requires them to "scrabble for food and shelter." And it's a really disingenuous statement to make. MAYBE 20-50 years ago, I don't know - I wasn't here and haven't done enough reading to say otherwise. MAYBE some of the Haitian population could be described as being in that situation currently. But how many indigent Dominicans do you know living in the forests and jungles of this country without a roof or on the streets sleeping on cardboard? Eating once every 2-3 days? And then how many 18-25 year old girls do you know with Iphone 12s and 13s? 30-40 year old women going back and forth to western union collecting more money monthly than you do with your job at the school? Guys who are connected receiving remittances (through women that they set up as mules) from different black and gray market channels? Maybe people are confusing the Dominican Republic with Cuba, or maybe you are just comparing this Island and it's people, which has it's pros and cons to the most economically powerful nations on earth - the USA, Canada and those in Europe? Apples to oranges. All you need to do is walk inside a PriceSmart or Jumbo and see Dominicans every day all day walking out with big screen TVs and stereo systems and carts full of items to dispell this ridiculous myth. This country ain't in poverty, not by a long shot. Also, a lot of the conditions that a 1st worlder would consider as immediate "Poverty status" aren't seen the same way here. A zinc roof, no electric, or electric borrowed from neighbors, living a ways from the nearest city, living on streets that are absolutely filthy and/or where there is lots of barrio noise, living amongst individuals or being an individual that doesn't have a formal education, etc. etc. These are not indicators of poverty, as much as they are conflating contemporary "Western" standards of living to other countries. The DR is in a rapid period of growth/development and it's normal to have infrastructural challenges when a country is rapidly developing. Think the late 1800s, early 1900s in the USA.

The people are well fed (overly so) with extremely fresh and non processed food (and processed foods are of course available as well), mostly everyone has a home or two or three they can be in, though it may be living with an aunt or uncle or a brother or sister, and for those who want it a job is not a difficult thing to find.

Bob - when I took the Ruta Panoramica from PoP to Santo Domingo I saw 3-4 of those "party busses" - old yellow schoolbusses fitted with lights and speakers, full of (lower class) Dominicans getting drunk and grooving out doing turismo interno. You ever seen them? Does that seem congruent with a country in which there are a significant number of people "Scrabbling for food and shelter"?
Wrong…

Nadie21

Jun 3, 2021
Santa Clarita
This is incredible…discussion about schools And brothels (cabanas…same idea). Not ashamed?

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
If someone is hypocritical about prostitution I have asked the question. Why not punish the clients like they do in Sweden ? It seems unfair only to punish the “working girls” if you want to prohibit it. That seems to end the discussion. Could maybe hurt tourism and they can’t have that.

Nadie21

Jun 3, 2021
Santa Clarita
You're talking about Spain? Peru? Mexico? Honduras? Chile? Nicaragua? Poland? Germany? Denmark? Italy? Namibia? Canada? France? Great Britain? Ireland? Australia?

Or are you basing this on the perspective that comes out of the USA?

View attachment 7049

Just in general, there is the stereotype and then there is reality. Applies to everything.
Always comparing to the rest of the world instead of looking out your own window. This is how DR functions…”look and copy”. Nobody needs your graphs and statistics. And of course the elephant in the room…whisper whisper the Church which sanctions Everything…

Superion

Jun 26, 2007
However hard she is to understand, she is correct. What non-Dominicans are claiming is culturally accepted or part of the culture vis-à-vis married women sleeping with foreigners for money with the acceptance of the husband, is not culturally accepted or part of the culture. That it happens doesn't mean it is considered either normal or acceptable behavior.
It may not be formally accepted, but is common enough to be noticed.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Yes the stats are all well and good and look very nice on paper.

But the key words were properly functioning.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Different classes of dominicans? Elite or non elite only 2 classes of people here. The Haves or Have-Nots
Nope, there are religious people, there is old money, new money, there are many young educated professionals, there is an expanding middle class, there are the returning Dominicans (a class unto themselves) There are a lot more that don't fit into a square box.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
In many low income areas, a Dominicana using a foreigner for money while she has a local Dominican boyfriend(s) is quite common as I've said. This doesn't make it socially acceptable in the DR, but doesn't mean that it doesn't exist either.
I guess you weren't around when most members of this board tried to convience Mr. K that this is "quite common in many low income areas". Some will dispute this and say--not in my situation. It is what it is and not until men have boots on the ground and have real life experiences will they accept or reject the possibilities that exist here. Acceptable or not acceptable , bar charts on income and poverty levels data are,IMO, are not applicable.

• Haha
Reactions: Mr Deal HD

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Another disingenuous argument. Humans are categorically animals, and are beholden to the same proclivities, biology and behavior as are all animals. There are of course differences from species to species and from individual to individual but there are myriad similarities.

But I'll play your game.
Let us know when more than one species is able to post in a forum on the internet invented by none other than that same species.

Anthropology is the study of the human animal in particular
A study done by whales? Horses? Foxes? Ants?

Anthropologically humans are predominantly polygynous.
When an animal feel like killing another one, they attempt it or do it. Let us know why that is not always the case when most people feel like doing the same. Even slapping someone isn't done by humans in most cases when the urge arises.

terantius

Jul 28, 2022
Plants
Allrighty then, you seem to be adamant that my position in wrong, while failing to state an alternative viewpoint. So I am not going to be able to continue to chat with you about this.
At the end of the day, Dominicans DO cheat (not all) and people tend to look the other way (not all). And this is more prevalent here than in my country and in many western, developed other countries.
I'm not hating on Dominican men. I've had WONDERFUL dance teachers and I have enjoyed dancing and socializing with Dominican men, I've enjoyed snuggling up on a moto with them, I've cooked for them and gone out on dates with them. I've done yoga with them and visited their homes. I've travelled with them, and asked them for help when I've had problems with appliances and people. I think Dominican men are lovely and handsome and sexy. Some of them are also very handy! BUT they are huge cheaters. Sorry.
I myself am in a complicated relationship with a hot and spicy Colombian man and I don't think he cheats on me but plenty of Colombian men cheat too!
Lmao, so even when data is not available you want me to make assertions in order to satisfy your arbitrary created rules about disagreement. Genius. I think the personal D.R. stats vs USA statistic should be enough of an example for you to acknowledge that my M.O.
I don't make up random claims with no information.