Oil in Jimaní? What Could This Mean for Haiti?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Supposedly, this Tweet from today (June 4, 2023) is of what was discovered near Jimaní, which is the Dominican town right on the border with Haiti that connects to Port-au-Prince. There is the hypothesis that Hispaniola in general and Haiti specifically could be sitting on one of the Western Hemisphere's largest oil reserve, particularly in that area of the Enriquillo/Cul-de-Sac Basin. This reserve hasn't been discovered yet and it's unclear if the Haitian government allows for oil exploration. If this truly happened in Jimaní, it would be the closest oil discovery to the Haitian border, which could mean that there could be more oil in Haiti itself. The discovery of large quatities of oil there could greatly impact positively the Haitian economy, perhaps take it out of the category of the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere.

Oil had been discovered before in other areas of the DR, the most well known is in Azua; but it has never been in large quatities for commercial exploitation. So at least in the Dominican side there is oil, the question is if a reserve big enough for commercial exploitation exist and hasn't been discovered yet. Its not clear if any type of oil has been discovered in Haiti, but given how close this is to the Haitian border there could be oil in Haiti too.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
The talk of oil being in the DR in the border zone, San Pevro de Macoris, and La Altagracia has been traded about for many years. It gets the most media attention when some oil exploration outfit receives a permit to survey a region. However, nothing substantial comes from the activities. There is little uncertainty there is oil. Is there enough of a reserve? What holds back many from drilling is the return is not worth the costs. When the future cost of oil goes right through the roof and world suppliers cannot keep up with the demand for oil products there could be drilling in the DR. Yet, it is doubtful.

Regards,

PJT

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
If their is oil there and it is a big reserve - it will be available to in offshore drilling, or directional drilling from DR.
I expect this is a nuthin' burger.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
"I Drink YOUR MilkShake" ... is the only thing that comes to mind at the moment.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
"I Drink YOUR MilkShake" ... is the only thing that comes to mind at the moment.
Exactly....I think it is one of the greatest oppotunities for every shyster known to man to exploit 'OIL...WE STRUCK OIL FOLKS". Come one ,come all and invest in this deal of the century. This is the vehicle to make a few chosen people rich beyound comprehension.
"What does it mean to Haiti " CR asked, Nothing is correct.

Reactions: windeguy

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
It’s interesting that the DR/Haiti oil unicorn keeps popping up, however, the likelihood of Haiti developing and profiting from it is extremely low. No exploration and development company in their right mind would throw cash at such a highly speculative venture in a failed country like Haiti. Not with so many other safer areas in the world to explore and develop.

If it was viable in the DR, it would have been developed decades ago. The Louisiana oil based companies would have been tripping over themselves to tap into an oil field just a stones throw from their gulf refineries. There was speculation during Danilo’s reign but small scale exploration results indicated it was oil contained in fractured shale in an area where earthquakes are common. A double jeopardy situation. Danilo canned the project and the speculation attached to it. Maybe Luis might risk it but I doubt it. A near shore oil well blowout spewing millions of gallons of toxic crude oil impacting resort beaches for extended periods of time would be his worst nightmare.

There is a glut of crude oil on the world markets today. The only way OPEC can keep prices high is to cut back on production which they just did again. EQUINOR just back burnered for three years, a massive low carbon production offshore oil development project off Canada’s East coast. An already approved project by the way with petrochemical grade crude oil. Oil much in demand and near US oil refineries. Russia is selling their oil at reduced prices to anyone that wants it. Only god knows what’s going on with Venezuelan crude oil.

The world wide oil exploration and production companies are noted for their political corruption and bribery. Do we need the current corrupt DR government filling their pockets with more bribes from oil companies and turning a blind eye to unsafe exploration and development activities?

Read The Seven Sisters by Anthony Sampson if you want to get a true appreciation of how the world has been shaped politically and culturally because of the influence, power, and corruption of the major oil companies since the early 1900’s.

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
I did some work in the GOM in 2000. One of the guys on that project had been on an offshore project off the SW coast of the DR a few years earlier. The rig was contracted to do five wells they did one and left.

Corruption and kick backs in the oil industry is not long gone. How do I know that?? I'm just back from the Middle East.

I recommend Daniel Yergin's books The Prize, The Quest and a few more.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
It's known there always been oil in DR, in some places in the south natural emanating is present.
Ton of videos in YouTube.

JJ