Ok, time for natural gas for my car.

Feb 7, 2007
PICHARDO - Most of the developed world uses LPG as a conversion system. At least that holds true for the European Union. CNG is used only by some public transport systems (means big buses). While natural gas is used for cooking in most of Europe, LPG is the system for cars. I think the DR government would make a big mistake trying to convert to CNG.

Hillbilly - it is true that CNG has less efficiency than LPG. To get as far with CNG as with LPG, I have read in papers, you would need tripple the tank as for LPG.

AZB - I have bought Italian system, with the corresponding tank, it has a gauge inside the cabin which can switch from gas to gasoline and back to gas at a blink of an eye, and indicates the LPG level. The system was 15.500 pesos installed in Santo Domingo.

As far as engine life is concerned, the opposite is true I have read, e.g. that the engine life is actually extended by using LPG.
LPG Conversions Kent, - London Petroleum Gas Co Ltd, UK
WPS:LPG

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Rubio, when did you get your italian system installed? I see the same system going for $21,500 in santiago but I am getting a deal from a patient of mine for 16k, installed.
AZB

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Have you seen the prices of gasoline???? Uffff, I am going nuts, can't even imagine driving to punta cana in my car. The prices have reached 170 plus pesos / gallon in DR. I paid like 1500 plus pesos gasoline, back and forth to santo domingo from santiago. This is totally unacceptable. I didn't even drive that much over there, just to immigration office then to friend's restaurant and back. I refuse to pay such high prices for a gallon of gasoline anywhere. The prices of gasoline will only reach higher.
Now I have been talking to people who have converted to gas and they all seem to be very content with the conversion. The saving is enormous. I think I would be willing to kill my engine in 5 years after saving so much on gasoline expenses. the new system seems to come from europe, which doesn't allow gas to leak, its safer and runs car better. It even has a guage in the dash board to meaure how much gas is left in the tank. The price is 21500 pesos installed. I think I can get it for a lot cheaper.
Will report all cons and pro later.
AZB

I had an Italian system installed a year and a half ago by the repuestos that is just down the hill(towards Rafael Vidal) on the right from HOMS on the autopista. It is the same system you described. I believe mine RD19k. I had a tank installed underneath where the spare tire used to go. You will burn more oil, but this is normal. One will notice less power but who needs to get in a hurry here anyway. I have taken my jipeta with 10 people over the tourist highway from Santiago with no problems. Also, the top end of the motor can be redone relatively cheaply.

To give you an idea of the cost savings, before I had it changed we went to Maimon to have lunch, and the trip from Santiago cost me like RD1200. I can go to Costambar and return easily for RD450.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
I have a (silly) question:
-Is it possible to convert a gasoil "camioneta" to propane ?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Also, AZB, it may be necessary to change the plugs, wires and air filter as I had to if the motor backfires shortly after changing the system.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I have a (silly) question:
-Is it possible to convert a gasoil "camioneta" to propane ?

You will have to change the motor, they do it here all of the time. If you want my cu?ado's mechanic he can do it or rebuild the motor for you. He rebuilt the cu?ado's diesel for RD20k.

Feb 7, 2007
Rubio, when did you get your italian system installed? I see the same system going for $21,500 in santiago but I am getting a deal from a patient of mine for 16k, installed.
AZB

I had it done in Santo Domingo, Leo Gas (on Pena Valle) last september.

As Chip mentioned, spark plugs had to be changed as well.
My system does not have the tank where the spare tire was located (I need the spare tire!) but does have a robust heavy 16 gls tank located in the trunk.

faer

Jan 6, 2005
San Franciso, CA @ US$3.72 (15 gals =US$55.80)

People out of the D.R., what are you paying?

Regards, Ringo

Santiago, Chile
$5.35 p/gal Regular Unleaded
$5.42 p/gal Premium

Still waiting goverment intervention in taxes applied to gasoline (nearly 45% of it are taxes), expectations are to level prices around $5 for premium, but it will be uselless with current oil price trend

get a bicycle!!!!!

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Only if you join me and a couple of buddies for the best Italian sandwhich in the DR, a fria and a Principe cigar at Palermo's here in Santiago next week when you get here. :)

Not to hijack thread, but try Punta Italia across from La Sirena. I think you will like it. Northern Italian owner and cook.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
It's $4.41/gal USD for regular in San Mateo, California. AZB, back here in ATL I paid $3.31/gal for premium at a discount warehouse yesterday. About $60 to fill up.

Reporters are saying it'll easily hit $4.00/gal by mid summer.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I don't know how you guys can keep those huge SUVs in USA. I guess those days of driving from NYC to miami in your SUVs are over.
AZB

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Only if you join me and a couple of buddies for the best Italian sandwhich in the DR, a fria and a Principe cigar at Palermo's here in Santiago next week when you get here. :)
you drive a hard bargain. I agree with one condition: this feast comes after 18 holes @ Las Aromas...;)

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
AZB

Newsflash buddy, that ain't no deal. That is the going rate for an Italian system as described for a car like yours at the place I told you about - I saw the owner tonight at the store. The business is called Auto Repuestos Monumental.

El Diego

Apr 24, 2006
Newsflash buddy, that ain't no deal. That is the going rate for an Italian system as described for a car like yours at the place I told you about - I saw the owner tonight at the store. The business is called Auto Repuestos Monumental.

so Chip, this place is on autop duarte near HOMS?
so u really recommend this place for gas conversion?
i think there's a big conversion shop by la rotonda, across
from 8A autos. Anyone have any feedback from this place?
It's really a big place and always has a lot of clients doing the
conversion.

how much u think for small suv (cr-v) on italiank system?

if plugs/wires/air filter have been installed recently in past yr, one
still has to change them at conversion time?

dumb question: "italian" systems b/c they come from that country or
b/c of the design it has? R they the best system to get (vs. other europ system)?

thnx

Erick

Last edited: