Old Bay Seasoning

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006
My mother has started using Old Bay in her dredge when she fries chicken. It takes the yardbird to a whole other level.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
was something about the label and listing ingredients.... dunno

used to be at Playero with the German products

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
William sometimes Moser's bakery in Sosua has horseradish.
Frank12 can you save a tin of Old Bay for Old Abuela?

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
William sometimes Moser's bakery in Sosua has horseradish.
Frank12 can you save a tin of Old Bay for Old Abuela?

I'm sorry, i cannot. It belongs to the restaurant, not me. And we do use it for our seafood dishes.

Frank

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Horseradish should be easy, someone could just grow the root? And I seem to recall seeing Horseradish sauce in Tropical and Playero but I'm on Brugal right now, toasting Frank and Old Bay so I can't be sure! PM me if you want Old Bay in the Fall, I'll bring it.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
Both these items are available through Amazon - you merely have to pay to ship from Miami to here. No big deal.

Frank, that's insane. Try it on some Home Fries, already salted French Fries, or Fries with some melted cheese on it. Having a case of it sitting around is a crime when it is such a great multi-tasker.

I keep a one pound tin of it in my cupboard and that will be about a one year supply(just for me). Mostly celery salt, but about ten other ingredients. Also adds some nice zip to wing sauce~ I use a cup every time I make a half gallon of sauce: enough for 30 pounds of wings. That's a teaspoon and a half per serving.

As for seafood, I make a compound butter with a half cup of Old Bay mixed with a pound of softened butter. Saute your shrimp(butterflied) in a 1/4c of the butter then arrange the shrimp around a mound of rice. Finish by pouring the rest of the melted butter over the rice. The butter is also great on corn on the cob..

Now I wonder if there's an unused case of Montreal Steak Seasoning around somewhere..

Aug 21, 2007
So easy for most ingredients. Order through Amazon or have friends bring it. I have never been without great imported steaks, Old Bay Seasoning, or horseradish since I moved here 10 years ago.

Some things are just too important to do without.

~ Lindsey

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Interesting Lindsey, we never have steaks here, Tias just don't make them. It's just not on the average Dominican diet. But back in the U.S. I am never without my Old Bay for cooking and Horseradish for Bloody's.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Interesting Lindsey, we never have steaks here, Tias just don't make them. It's just not on the average Dominican diet. But back in the U.S. I am never without my Old Bay for cooking and Horseradish for Bloody's.

Exactly, When I want a good steak, I get on an airplane and go to Miami or Puerto Rico

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
Good Tread!! All this over Bay Seasoning!!
Huge wars fought over spice. Not much has changed.
Wasn't it the original GOLD??
Marco Polo.

May 29, 2006
And one of the main reasons Christopher Colombo got himself three ships to sail West and stumble upon Hispaniola. He was trying to get to India and the Spice Islands. I think the only one he discovered in the Caribbean was Allspice, though many more were introduced eventually.

Last edited:
May 29, 2006
I've never used cardamom in 30 years of cooking and have barely ever seen any in a kitchen, but now it's coming up in the sausage recipes I've been looking up. Saw it the other day at an Indian shop, $5 for a pound. Think I'll pick some up and see what all the fuss is about. I know it's a big ingredient in Chai, which I like as a hot latte.

May 29, 2006

And when you make Bloody's(or Caesars) try rimming the glass with some Old Bay...