Old Bay Seasoning

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
Pola in Santiago used to sell "Old Bay", they may still do.
I will be over there later today, will look for it.

otnh2u.jpg

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
Old Bay ingredients

I'm weird about this stuff. Very fresh blue crabs are a wonder of nature. It's about personal preference. I prefer a light spritz of fresh lemon or lime juice to salty condiments like Old Bay. The Dominican crab recipes take saltiness several levels above Old Bay.

Note the number one ingredient in Old Bay (don't let the celery seeds confuse you, it's all about the salt):

INGREDIENTS

CELERY SALT (SALT, CELERY SEED), SPICES (INCLUDING RED PEPPER AND BLACK PEPPER), AND PAPRIKA.

SOMEHOW?????????
The last box I shipped from Boston, had a tin of ?Old Bay? inside, and it was broken open.
Customs???
It was spread through out the entire box, especially the clothes!!!!!!!!!
Smelled GREAT, looked orange!
Try Amazon online, they have EVERYTHING!!!!!
I try not to have any on hand, it makes TOO MANY things taste TOO GOOD!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

The problem with the, ?Tastes Just Like OBS", is that if you bought all the ingredients here, it would cost $100 US to make it!!!!!

Amazon price,...$4.34 for a 6 oz. can.
Free Shipping IF part of a $35.00 order!
Cant beat THAT!!!!!!

equinn2823

Sep 30, 2013
I spent the last two summers in Ocean City Maryland and Old bay there is like Presidente here.

May 29, 2006
Saying Old Bay is mostly celery salt is like saying beer is mostly water.. Going by the sodium content, Old Bay is a little more than 1/4 salt by volume. 1/4 teaspoon of salt is 590mg for Old Bay it's 160mg. Assuming it has some MSG, the actual salt content would be even less. My blend for home fries(when I don't have Old Bay) is equal parts, salt, paprika, garlic powder and black pepper by volume.

Those chicken bouillon cubes that are so popular in the DR are at least 50% salt, and then turmeric for the yellow color. When you get a chicken base that's bright yellow instead of brown, it's the cheap stuff.

Chicharones or Popcorn with Old Bay. Just Sayin'

Last edited: