old cedulas valid until 10th of january 2015

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I got lucky I just renewed mine two weeks ago on my vacation trip to Santiago, now is so easy and fast it took me Twenty minutes to get it done by the JCE personal posted at the Third floor of UTESA Five minutes walk from my house over there.

The process is completly electronic, finger print, picture and signature...

Oh, and the best thing, it's free!

JJ

May 20, 2012
Forgive me for not knowing, but are you a Dominican citizen? Or did something change and Extranjeros can get a cedula other than in Santo Domingo?

I got lucky I just renewed mine two weeks ago on my vacation trip to Santiago, now is so easy and fast it took me Twenty minutes to get it done by the JCE personal posted at the Third floor of UTESA Five minutes walk from my house over there.

The process is completly electronic, finger print, picture and signature...

Oh, and the best thing, it's free!

JJ

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Bachata is Dominican. Mine happened to coincide with needing renewal so was not free(non dominican)

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I was born Serie 31 of Parents Serie 54... Un "Caballero" the son of a man Seco Sacudio y Medio por Buen Cajon...

Ja ja

Every city in the DR has a number called "Serie" which is located at the begining of your cedula numberation, that's same as Social security here in the US the three first digits is the area where you live at the time registered for SSS.

031-00*****-* = SAntiago / 054 means Moca...

JJ

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
Is it possible that some could have biometric cedulas already ? Does anyone know how long these biometric cedulas have been in use??

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Is it possible that some could have biometric cedulas already ? Does anyone know how long these biometric cedulas have been in use??

If I'm not mistaken, they started issuing the new cedulas this year although they'd been talking about it since 2012. For foreigners, the old ones were orange and the new ones are green.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
only the conversion to biometric is free - as I understand it.

luckily for me, it coincided with my renewal..... 4 more yrs

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

i have the new cedula already, since july. gringos were able to change their cedula since late spring or so. maybe may? dominicans started few months earlier.

I got my Cedula in March and it is not a new one.

I was going to wait till March when I have to renew my res to get my new Cedula, is it a major problem to that?! Would there be a extra charge or something? We are so busy here we really don't have time to go to the Capital if we don't have to.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
odd............. mine is from April...... very close to the end of April

and its the new one, linked to mt Residency

you must have just missed the boat...HR

Just wait til you renew again.... is my guess
or go to the local office in GH and ask

every pueblo has renewal offices.... just not for foreigners

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I got my Cedula in March and it is not a new one.

I was going to wait till March when I have to renew my res to get my new Cedula, is it a major problem to that?! Would there be a extra charge or something? We are so busy here we really don't have time to go to the Capital if we don't have to.

You are supposed to renew before the time period for the free new version expires, but then this is the DR and who knows what will happen if you don't. I bet if you ask the one in GH, they won't have a clue, since they are set up only for citizens.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
apparently after 10th of january 2015 dominicans will pay 500 pesos for a new cedula. as for gringos, not clear yet.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
apparently after 10th of january 2015 dominicans will pay 500 pesos for a new cedula. as for gringos, not clear yet.

One thing is for sure, they won't be able to figure out how to renew non-citizen's cedulas in every JCE office.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
From what I can see, the old cedulas are not supposed to be accepted as proof of your identity after January 10, 2015.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
From what I can see, the old cedulas are not supposed to be accepted as proof of your identity after January 10, 2015.

This will never happen. You might not be able to vote with an old cedula, but for ID it will still work. I know Dominicans that use Cedulas that expired 10 years ago and have no problems.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
This will never happen. You might not be able to vote with an old cedula, but for ID it will still work. I know Dominicans that use Cedulas that expired 10 years ago and have no problems.

well. the new cedula project was announced many years ago but it was constantly moved. as a result no one really changed their cedula unless it was lost/stolen. now things are supposed to be different...

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
well. the new cedula project was announced many years ago but it was constantly moved. as a result no one really changed their cedula unless it was lost/stolen. now things are supposed to be different...

When I see it, I will believe it. I am from Missouri on this one.