old cedulas valid until 10th of january 2015

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
re first part: we shall see, agreed.
re bolded part: what does it mean?

In the US, Missouri is nicknamed the "Show Me" state. Saying I am from Missouri on this means I need to see it to believe it.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Hmm, just find out they removed the skin color box on the new Cedula...

No more Indios, Blacks or whites, all Dominicans!

JJ

donP

Dec 14, 2008
No Obligation for Renewal

... the old cedulas are not supposed to be accepted as proof of your identity after January 10, 2015.

I called JCE (809-537-9649) yesterday and got the same information.
As I cannot think of any transaction where I would need my 'cedula' I am not going for a renewal at this time.

donP

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
As I cannot think of any transaction where I would need my 'cedula' I am not going for a renewal at this time.

donP

Mr. AE has had to show his cedula to withdraw money at bank.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I have both an expired Cedula and the new one. I still use the expired one at banks and no one cares. They just want to see some ID.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I expect banks will continue to accept the old but any gov't related issues (dv8's driver licence ) will call for the new one.

pretty silly not to get the new one.... walking in to 'risk' territory in a foreign land for many

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
...it's coming. Over time, you will need to present a valid cedula to do more and more of the tasks you currently can accomplish without one. Banks will be some of the first institutions to be compelled to adopt more stringent identification practices. Passports will be fine for conversion transactions, or grabbing cash from your foreign credit cards but a cedula will be required to open or maintain a bank account.

When? Who knows but I expect within my lifetime.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Done 1n 15 min.

PJT and his Dominican born wife went to the JCE by the Plaza de la Bandera in Santo Domingo to acquire the new cedulas. The JCE does foreigners and Dominicans at the same location. The building is located on Av Luperon heading away from the plaza just a little bit beyond Calle F, look for the flags. There is no signage inside the lobby. However, the process is done on the second level of the building. You can take the stairway to the left or right, it will get you to the level.

PJT, the foreigner, needed to provide one copy of his residence card, photocopied to show the front and rear of the card. Also, one copy of his passport. It is good to have the original passport with you.

Domincans only have to produce their current cedula.

We followed previous posters advice and arrived about 3:00 pm, had the whole routine to ourselves. Done in less the 15 minutes. :) (this is the reason why DR1 is such a great service :classic: )

Parking is very limited in the area. We were lucky to find a space behind the main JCE building and walked from there.

Regards,

PJT

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
PJT, the foreigner, needed to provide one copy of his residence card, photocopied to show the front and rear of the card. Also, one copy of his passport. It is good to have the original passport with you.

You don't mention here that you also needed to hand in your current cedula in order to obtain the new one. Could you please clarify this point as, unfortunately, I have lost mine and have mixed opinions on whether I need to get a police report done to indicate the fact.

Many thanks

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
You don't mention here that you also needed to hand in your current cedula in order to obtain the new one. Could you please clarify this point as, unfortunately, I have lost mine and have mixed opinions on whether I need to get a police report done to indicate the fact.

Many thanks

I had to hand mine in although they returned it afterwards.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun

donP

it is not just about to need the new one for specific transactions or to renew your drivers license or such.
a important point is:
you let the deadline pass, your cedular is invalid, like you would never have had any, and with that your residency is loosing it's validation.you are then at the point where you start the process to obtain one all over again, from the beginning.
they will not do so right away starting january 10th, but they can at any time from there on, why to risk such? the new one is free, so no biggie.

Mike

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011

Many thanks

They are supposed to keep your old cedula once they give you the new one, but they're not being consistent on this. A friend of mine was asked to return her old one but I wasn't, even though we went to the same place. I asked my sister and she still has her old one too.

Whether it was stolen or you lost it, you still have to file a police report and present it at the junta in order to get a new copy issed.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
my wife and all family members and neighbours around kept their old cedulas. they had to hand over their old ones and got it back together with the new ones. all of them are dominicans, tho, cant tell if its different for foreigners. i did not change mine, yet, i was hoping to be able to do so here on the east, but it looks like the ride to santo domingo is necessary, the usual P.I.T.Azzz.

Mike

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
My wife got to keep her old cedula and she can still use it at banks and stuff.
A licenciada friend of ours doesnt carry hers around and when needed ( administration stuff, ie legalisado for docs.....), she just gives her cedula number.......