Oldies: Verónica Villarroel (and Carlos Piantini) Enterpreting "Linda Quisqueya" at the National Theater

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Here is an interesting video. This is the part interpreted by the Chilean Verónica Villarroel of "Linda Quisqueya" at the Eduardo Brito National Theater in Santo Domingo (1995).

Also seen is Carlos Piantini. He was the Director of the National Theater and Santo Domingo Symphony Orchestra conducter among other things. Also, he he was a violinist for The New York Philharmonic (first Latino in this position in the USA) and was part of several presentations at Lincoln Center in NYC. I think it was in the 1960's he was honored at the National Palace with the metal "Heraldic Order of Christopher Columbus," one of the highest official recognition for greatness given by the executive power to a select number of Dominicans and foreigners. He died in 2010. The main auditorium (seen in the video) at the National Theater is named after him.

The composer of "Linda Quisqueya" was Rafael Hernández, a Puerto Rican. He died in 1965.

Reactions: OldSkool and aarhus

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
I went to a play a couple of years ago and was really surprised of the quality. Actually it was great. Good actors. A shame it doesn’t get more attention.

Reactions: OldSkool

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
I went to a play a couple of years ago and was really surprised of the quality. Actually it was great. Good actors. A shame it doesn’t get more attention