On no! Not in New York City, too!!??

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/15/nyregion/15resign.html?th&emc=th

The story tells of NYC Councilman Miguel Martinez, who represents the upper part of Manhattan...yes, the Dominican part...I do believe he is Dominican.

Just goes to show:

1) You don't get away with this schitt in organized society--at least not for long...
2) Dominican pols are the same the world over...at least it is looking that way...

Not to paint with too wide a brush...

HB

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
Read that he resigned his post. I suspect in the DR he would've played musical chairs until landing another gov job to pull off yet another "heist".

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003

The story tells of NYC Councilman Miguel Martinez, who represents the upper part of Manhattan...yes, the Dominican part...I do believe he is Dominican.

Just goes to show:

1) You don't get away with this schitt in organized society--at least not for long...
2) Dominican pols are the same the world over...at least it is looking that way...

HB

I am convinced it's in the Dominican culture to abuse power and steal once you have power. Just look at the list of corrupt politicians and business people. Somtimes I feel as if everyone is out to scam you for a buck down there!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Martinez is Dominican and I always felt he was a thief, guess now he proved my suspicions correct.
At least he's not practicing dentistry in the DR while elected to office in the states...;)

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005

Just goes to show:

HB

If you think he is bad, bad is the one who is runnning for this new opening

Oscar Zorrilla - NYC Council Member - District 15

This guy in his younger years was a drug dealer and now has the support of the illegal gambling community in the Bronx and Washington high. God help us. And now to make thing interesting, Linares wants to run again for this position that he hold before.

Norteman

Dec 15, 2008
I am convinced it's in the Dominican culture to abuse power and steal once you have power. Just look at the list of corrupt politicians and business people. Somtimes I feel as if everyone is out to scam you for a buck down there!

It is crazy how some think.

I had a Dominican steal money from me etc. and he dissapeared and never answered my calls. When i put the word out of his doings, i then received a call from him stating that i have hurt his business as many people will not use his tour service because they heard of the theft. He did not deny the theft, just said that he is going to get me back for hurting his biz.He was literally offended and felt stealing from a gringo with more money than he was not theft yet normal

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Yes, some of them (by far not only uneducated ones) really think we are their milking cows and we have to shut up to all because they are Dominican and this is their country. I like to live here and I like most people here, but this attitude really p***** me off!

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Dominicanidad

On no! Not in New York City, too!!??
Why not?
Dominicans (like any other immigrant group) take their culture with them.

You can take the Dominican out of the country but you can't take the "dominicanidad" out of a Dominican.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
A little off topic, but what would happen if a gringo video taped a dominican civil servant taking a bribe from him and went to the police with that tape?

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Why not?
Dominicans (like any other immigrant group) take their culture with them.

You can take the Dominican out of the country but you can't take the "dominicanidad" out of a Dominican.

that's BS my friend.
i don't say dominicans abroad don't do that kinda BS.
but i say every other "culture" abroad is doing the same,
at least they try.
hey,
it's the United States of unlimited Opportunities.
everybody can be anybody over there.
at least that's what they try to suggerate the whole planet.
thanks god not the whole planet is stupid.
darn,
what kinda good thing you await from a place where peanuts farmers and warlords got elected for preidency by the parents of the boys which got sent over to get killed in their humanity denying assaults?
and the newest generation now????
wow,
no balls,
not even able to defend a lil banana republic like Honduras, where they have their own troups stationed, against that powerful Chavez.
like always:
the place of all opportunities for all rare "spezies",
and like always:
nothing good coming out of it.
Mike

blkronin

Sep 30, 2008
that's BS my friend.
i don't say dominicans abroad don't do that kinda BS.
but i say every other "culture" abroad is doing the same,
at lea/st they try.
hey,
it's the United States of unlimited Opportunities.
everybody can be anybody over there.
at least that's what they try to suggerate the whole planet.
thanks god not the whole planet is stupid.
darn,
what kinda good thing you await from a place where peanuts farmers and warlords got elected for preidency by the parents of the boys which got sent over to get killed in their humanity denying assaults?
and the newest generation now????
wow,
no balls,
not even able to defend a lil banana republic like Honduras, where they have their own troups stationed, against that powerful Chavez.
like always:
the place of all opportunities for all rare "spezies",
and like always:
nothing good coming out of it.
Mike

Are you criticizing the United States for using force overseas, or for not sending troops to Honduras? s this just the typical United States bashing on all fronts?

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
dont think so

Are you criticizing the United States for using force overseas, or for not sending troops to Honduras? s this just the typical United States bashing on all fronts?

Mike is just saying what a lot of people now believe,

Current admin has no balls.
No do not invade but also dont jump on Chaves bandwagon, look before leaping.
don't pass laws without at least reading what your signing.
Will be no streets of gold, just paving rock as they try to pay China off.
Enable the least qualified to the highest job. Peter Principle.

blkronin

Sep 30, 2008
Mike is just saying what a lot of people now believe,

Current admin has no balls.
No do not invade but also dont jump on Chaves bandwagon, look before leaping.
don't pass laws without at least reading what your signing.
Will be no streets of gold, just paving rock as they try to pay China off.
Enable the least qualified to the highest job. Peter Principle.

The current administration believes that it has a mandate from the people to enact policies directly opposite to those of G.W. They do not believe in a middle ground. I have been in the military for 25 years and have been deployed to different areas of the world. The United States is damned if we do and damned if we don't. As for the streets of the United States being paved with gold, typical attitude of second and third world nations. The United States does provide more opportunity for upward mobility than most other nations. This is one of the few nations which has a very large middle class. The one thing that people fail to understand is that you are not sucessful just by being in the United States. Many immigrants find out very quickly that your life can be just as miserable as the life you left behind in your nation of origin.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
no blkronin,
i did not critize for not sending troops to honduras.
heck, US soldiers on honduran streets would sure be the last thing they need.
i was criticising for sending troops overseas, i am full opponent of that kind of US behavior and i do not believe their publically announced reasons for many of their overseas activities, of course i do not push all those activities in one single basket, different situations have to be seen different and can not be judged all together.
this is not meant as a bashing towards US citizens, i lived myself over 6 years there and have more american than european friends by far. but i do completely disagree with the US american foreign poilitics since decades.
and yes,
i know that their industry keypoints would be bancrupt without those wars where billions get spend like tips at a nightclub, and germans and french aso also make some big bucks out of it, i do not believe their intentions/reasons for many of their foreign activities neither, so don't take it as a specific only USA criticism.
right,
the united states of america have a very large middle class compared to most other countries on the planet, that's why it hurts them even more that in the actual crisis even the middle class is suffering/running downhill, many are not able to pay back for the loans on their houses.
Many immigrants find out very quickly that your life can be just as miserable as the life you left behind in your nation of origin.
absolutely correct,
it is typical for low class immigrants to believe in the gold paved streets, and anyways they get told such by their "friends/family" who are in the new country and tell them on the phone and by faked fotos what big stuff they have, in what big appartments they live, what big luxury they name their own, so the next ones come over on any price and find themselves in miserable situations, out on the streets.
and that is neither some typical american thingy, those immigrants find similar situations in germany, britain, france, everywhere.
Mike

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
It can boggle the mind.

Corruption is very entrenched here so much that even normal God fearing law abiding Christians don't always recognize it, rather see it as a normal way of doing business.

To wit, I just got back from Haiti and came in the southern entrance to DR whereby this Dominican customs dude claims I have to pay US25 to enter. I sternly asserted I had already paid US25 in Dajabon and was not paying anymore. He insisted until I said I was calling my "General" friend and then all of a sudden he says, "oh sorry, I see the receipt stamp right here". Anyway, he says follow me in to the office and on the way there he says give me something on the side for letting you pass through w/o paying and I said sure if you can explain what favor you are doing me. He comes up with some gobbledygook and then I asked him to reference the law that requires I pay an additional fee. Of course he can't and then he says I need to pay the tourist entrance fee whereupon I shoot back by saying bud I travel all of the time and don't pay that as I'm a resident so just forget about it. He finally runs out of tricks and gives up, or so I think. He sends some guy over to me to ask for a small tip for a beer on his behalf and I ask the dude what favor did he do for me. He comes back with "cmon bud it's late and the jefe just wants a cold beer" and beside this guy might do me a favor in the future. I finally relent and give him RD50 and this gall-full sob asks for RD100, whereupon I told him RD50 is enough for a small Bohemia. True story. :)

The roughest part was trying to get my Dominican and Haitian friends to understand why I was upset afterwords, and one of them is a pastor!