On the road with AZB (Unofficial Dr1 news reporter)

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
I've been driving here for several years, some only half a year. I drove in GB for 40 odd years and have driven in France, Belgium,Switzerland, Italy, Spain and Romania and have come to a belief that the Dominican drivers really aren't that bad. Its the rules of the road and potholes that are the problem. I assume there are rules of the road although I've never seen them publicized, in my opinion most Dominican drivers either don't know there are any, they certainly haven't learnt them and anyway nobody enforces them apart from a vague realisation that one drives mostly on the rightish side of the road. Most of my driving is in Las Terrenas where motoconchos are a nightmare and come at you from all angles and directions. I try to ensure that I am never in a hurry. I am pleased and not a little surprised just how often other drivers give way for you to exit a side street, for example. Most of the idiots seem to be young drivers of all colours. My one rule is,if I possibly can ensure it, DON'T drive in Santo Domingo. If I have to go there, other than a straight in and out to the embassy, is drive to the hotel, park up and use a taxi the rest of the time. The most I've suffered so far is a few dents on the front and back corners of the car and yes, some have been my fault. I could go for reams about potholes but you all already know the problems.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Am getting ready to take the Driver test

funny you should mention rules of the road, from looking at the Manual Del Conductor I have, most of these rules are exactly the same as the US! small difference in various speed limits, but same idea urban, school, rural. highway. even who has the right of way if your both in the intersection at the same time. goes to the right.
Just nobody pays any attention to them and a lot have no idea they exist

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Here is a perfect place to get electrocuted. Runny water with live electric wires going through crushed plastic pipes. This is in a gasoline station. I washed my hands, laughed and walked away. what a country.

1182985.jpg
This is the D.R.
The voltage is probably not high enough to electrocute anyone!

GSantiagoDRG

Last edited:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
here is another smart guy who wanted to beat the long line. Hehehehe. he is being pulled put by a water tank truck.

3343sc1.jpg

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
AZB,

Are you staging those photos?
That appears to be the same corner as the first post you made on this thread.

Perhaps if you were not in the street taking pictures, they would not have to drive around you and into the ditch. ;) lol

SantiagoDR

Reactions: drloca

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Did a truck ram into it or simply bad construction? I guess, like hummer, it only looks tough. Santo domingo, nice residential area.

xdhuys.jpg

2wntonq.jpg

A typical (around the corner) santiago barber shop. The tigres work 12-15 hr shifts. They have music, dsl internet and cable tv all running at the same time. All types of guys come and go, talk about all issues in life. If you want to know the ins & outs in the neighborhood, talk to them. They will tell you where to get the car fixed cheap. where to get wheels for your car, who is a thief in the area, who is the best local graphic designer for signs and poster, who is a local slut in the street and who will get you whatever you need etc etc. These places are one stop shopping center for all your local tigre needs. Hahahaha. Not only I get my hair cut cheap, they also shave my unwanted hair in my ears and nose.

2ns2uzo.jpg

I would hate to pass on the right of this truck, loaded with super heavy metal fence wire mesh. One hard turn and the truck will tip over. Typical accident waiting to happen.

sy9ulf.jpg

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Nice pictures AZB but I need to ask what makes those guys tigres when they work 12-15 hr shifts cutting hair?

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I guess the"peso" is not the only thing under pressure in the D.R.
2wntonq.jpg

SantiagoDR

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Nice pictures AZB but I need to ask what makes those guys tigres when they work 12-15 hr shifts cutting hair?

You should hear the conversation that goes on inside the barber shop.
When I say these tigres know what to get from whom and what so, I am not talking about getting information about who is the best immigration lawyer or what is the best restaurant in town.
These tigres talk about stuff your virgin ears are totally not used to hearing.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
This is what you have to do to die on the highway.
Local tigres in bonao racing on the highway. One almost ran into a truck at high speed.
212ig07.jpg

ggparts

Mar 20, 2003
I saw this exact thing last week

On the road from Higuey to El Seibo. Four or five motos racing. As if driving isn't challenging enough already.