One EDE to Bind Them and Rule Them All? Would that make a difference?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
In one of the worst decisions ever made in the DR, a decision was made long ago to have a government agency distribute the power. The amount of corruption in the EDE's and the amount of theft of services allowed by this corrupt and inept management has "kept this country in the dark" quite literally over time.

Now a proposed change which is really not much of a change unless substantial cuts of useless management is really made:

Reactions: bienamor

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I would hope he can bring in some outside management (outside of DR, but not including more corrupt Puerto Rico) for the utility agencies. They have become corruption black holes for graft and theft.
Corraplata Water Co is a prime example of Dominicans stuffing their own pockets, instead of using repair money to fix leaks. And field reps openly charging customers to reopen valves.
I spent my own cash to buy pipe and fittings to fix a 2" main this week and will have to fix another location or two near my home that have been leaking for a year and which were reported and still not effort to repair (reporting any problem to Corraplata is just wasted breath). Other neighbors also fix main lines when they break near their homes. The amount of water wasted is in the hundreds of millions of gallons. Meantime the Haitian construction workers tap illegally and use copious amounts of unmetered water with no enforcement.
Makes you think that is is best to make your own illegal tap and use the unmetered water for generous lawn and garden soakings or drain and refill pool frequently.
Fortunately the main water lines are buried so shallow not much digging is required, also one of the reasons they split so easy as truck tires depress the pipes when driven over.

Reactions: Russell

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Too little too late. The power system in this country needs a major overhaul. Better equipment a better distribution system and above all else a set of documented and enforceable standards of practice. The current state of affairs is akin to a poorly sewn quilt with square patches known to fall away at regular intervals. The routing of wires is terrible. The transformers all need work. All of he electrical boxes that house the meters need a good overhaul. In many cases the wiring from the meter to the house needs updating.

A different management strategy may have some intrinsic benefit but I don' think that alone will do much to improve reliable power distribution to the houses. From power generation to the use of that power the system is inherently deficient and requires big spending and a very knowledgeable engineering team to correct. Not something the govt seems keen to undertake or something that can be started and completed quickly. There desperately needs to be an electrical modernization plan in this country and the will to see it through from start to finish.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Out with the old in with the new. The nepotism will soon be under one roof?

Regards,

PJT

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Too little too late. The power system in this country needs a major overhaul. Better equipment a better distribution system and above all else a set of documented and enforceable standards of practice. The current state of affairs is akin to a poorly sewn quilt with square patches known to fall away at regular intervals. The routing of wires is terrible. The transformers all need work. All of he electrical boxes that house the meters need a good overhaul. In many cases the wiring from the meter to the house needs updating.

A different management strategy may have some intrinsic benefit but I don' think that alone will do much to improve reliable power distribution to the houses. From power generation to the use of that power the system is inherently deficient and requires big spending and a very knowledgeable engineering team to correct. Not something the govt seems keen to undertake or something that can be started and completed quickly. There desperately needs to be an electrical modernization plan in this country and the will to see it through from start to finish.
All because of the decision to let the government run the distribution system in the first place. Getting rid of redundant management teams is unlikely to fix the core issues.