Ongoing Thread for Gardeners, Farmers, Jardineros, Agronomos, etc....Pics and Vids!!

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Matilda, Are your familiar with the Cervios area? Some of the items you mention, I'd like to start. Might be too warm? Thanks.

No idea where that is sorry. I have a friend who is a gardening expert in the US, has her own radio programme there and she has given me lots of tips. Plus the campesinos here really know what they are doing as have done it for centuries. We plant by the phases of the moon now which is making a lot of difference, and in dry times put plastic bottles next to the trees and plants with a needle hole in the cap so they drip water slowly. I am learning all sorts of tips which you can't find in gardening books which really seem to work. I will post them here as and when I come across them

Matilda

bayaguanaman

Oct 22, 2009
I have beautiful Chocolate Habanero pepper growing happily in Bayaguana, as well as really hot bird peppers which go great in lime juice as an additive for the likes of chicken souse. ( Also turn toast'n'cheese into another theme as well). I had mentioned before I had great turnips as well, bought the seeds in the UK.

DominicanQuest

Oct 22, 2012
Polyembryonic Mango. Got 4 plants from 1 seed, but 1 died.

[video]http://growitfromseed.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Polyembryonic-Mango-10-10-2013.jpg[/video]

DominicanQuest

Oct 22, 2012
OP. You asked about farming and now you are talking buying land without anything about the land, soil conditions, water, temps, rain or crop.

Buying land is rather easy. Knowing what one is buying is the hard part.
Well, the land I am talking about it supposedly planted with cacao. But, I have not been out there to check it out yet. I did find a nice lil plot of about 6 tareas (1 acre) of nice land RIGHT on the river for $5000. Just didnt have the money at the moment because of some investments.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I have reverse green fingers aka the kiss of death when it comes to plants so I don't have much to contribute, at least not first hand. I came in to share Aunt Clara's "Urban Garden" which is showing impressive results:
Urban gardening

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Just Tasted Abiu for the first time

Enjoyed the video - they call that fruit caimito where we live in DR. They also come with a kind of purple skin. I always eat them just like you did with a spoon, because if the juice gets on your lips it is very sticky/glue-like.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Ok, I grow all sorts of stuff here in campo. Part fuit and veg, part decoration kind, flowers and plants.

2 years ago I ve had a bug attack on orange trees. Looks like a small funghi ( but its not ) that spreads to all the leaves and coats them with a dark tarish matter.... anyone now what it is??
I ve treated with chemicals ( which I aborr) and coating product, I ve cut trees down to try and stop it spreading. I ve even washed trees leaf by leaf ( can u believe).
Now its spreading to other plants than the original orange trees. Anyone has a miracle remedy out there, I d love to now.

TIA

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
lemonssuddenlysproutonbasilplant003_zps64cb2362.jpg
[/IMG]

How about lemons growing on a basil plant in a pot...................:ermm:

Haha...
I know......More of the same old, same old.
I just couldn't resist.
Those lemons were sooo juicy with just a hint of basil overtones.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Sorry, I have not kept up with this thread.

I do have some seasoned horse stall sawdust with ... horse nutrients in it... free for the taking.

Sosua area. You bring containers and you shovel it. We will open the fence, with notice, for trucks.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I know of a small town where the tareas are going for 30K pesos negotiable. So....4 tareas would be $120,000 pesos neg. That is about, what? $2800. Get them to knock it down to $25,000/tarea and you are getting it at $2352. Not the same price, but not too far off in gringo terms either. I really should buy. Gonna go take a look in a couple of weekends.

If you buy a large lot you can get them down in the you can get it knocked down to $7500/tarea, but were are talking about spending over $100K in land at that price.

Been gone. Name the area please.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
OK. Read through the whole thing again. NO mention of the area for the CHEAP LAND THAT WILL GROW ANYTHING FOR GRINGOS. Only shots of potted plants as far as I can tell.

I'd be very interested at land at the prices you give BUT.... it has to be good land.

DominicanQuest

Oct 22, 2012
lemonssuddenlysproutonbasilplant003_zps64cb2362.jpg
[/IMG]

How about lemons growing on a basil plant in a pot...................:ermm:

Haha...
I know......More of the same old, same old.
I just couldn't resist.
Those lemons were sooo juicy with just a hint of basil overtones.

Lol. Are those lemons grafted? I dont know, you must be American. I have gotten used to the limons here, but a lot of the Americans really miss lemons. Cool pic tho.....

DominicanQuest

Oct 22, 2012
OK. Read through the whole thing again. NO mention of the area for the CHEAP LAND THAT WILL GROW ANYTHING FOR GRINGOS. Only shots of potted plants as far as I can tell.

I'd be very interested at land at the prices you give BUT.... it has to be good land.

The land is in the area of Cotui/Pimentel. I know for sure that it grows crops because a family friend of my wife shares the next lot over and makes his living with platanos and the such.
I personally live in an apartment in the capital. For one the money I was going to use to buy the land I wound up investing in my English school. For two I just can't move out there to the campo right now.
But in the Cotui/Pimentel area it is not hard to find someone looking to sell.
Btw, a guy I know bought 21 tareas just north of Villa Mella for $500K pesos. I went out there. Looks like a good spot. Lots of finquita in the area growing chinola and guyava.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
DominicanQuest, we've decided to sell our land in Ocoa, 68 tareas, [ad in DR1 real estate section], in case you or someone else is interested.

One brother-in-law has 1000 tareas across the road, has caretakers there to plant and harvest. Another is just above us on the road, has a lovely weekend home and endless fruit trees. His last avocado harvest was 15,000 of them. He was raising lambs and goats, not sure if he still is.

Be careful around Cotui, some of the land is polluted from the mining.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
Do you mind me asking what he got for the 15,000 avocados as I am thinking of planting 1000 more trees. tks

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Do you mind me asking what he got for the 15,000 avocados as I am thinking of planting 1000 more trees. tks

Oh, I'm stretching my brain to remember the conversation [it was last Easter Sunday] - but I'm pretty sure it was 30,000 pesos from one buyer, but these were unsorted to size. He said if he had them sorted he could have gotten more.

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
Vanessa is georgeous. Nice touch and nice analogy to growth and nurturing. As per CC, feed, water, care for, and get out of her way.