Ongoing Thread for Gardeners, Farmers, Jardineros, Agronomos, etc....Pics and Vids!!

DominicanQuest

Oct 22, 2012
DominicanQuest, we've decided to sell our land in Ocoa, 68 tareas, [ad in DR1 real estate section], in case you or someone else is interested.

One brother-in-law has 1000 tareas across the road, has caretakers there to plant and harvest. Another is just above us on the road, has a lovely weekend home and endless fruit trees. His last avocado harvest was 15,000 of them. He was raising lambs and goats, not sure if he still is.

Be careful around Cotui, some of the land is polluted from the mining.

Financiamiento disponible? LOL. If so, get at me

DominicanQuest

Oct 22, 2012
Vanessa is georgeous. Nice touch and nice analogy to growth and nurturing. As per CC, feed, water, care for, and get out of her way.

Thanks. She is my pride and joy. Last night I was looking at her and just thinking [kinda like product models] "wow! you are the newest model in my line....you are the newest and most well equipped thing out right now....the world is yours!"

Something from the garden:

[video=youtube_share;EfHL9DHTiuc]http://youtu.be/EfHL9DHTiuc[/video]

Last edited:

DominicanQuest

Oct 22, 2012
11-10-2013 Update.

I know there have got to be more people on this site that want to talk about growing things.

[video=youtube_share;iEVaUoqrSi8]http://youtu.be/iEVaUoqrSi8[/video]

russ_offord

Jun 6, 2007
blog.jarabacoa.org
He was raising lambs and goats, not sure if he still is.

AlterEgo, would you mind asking him what a (live) goat normally sells for these days (example: farmer sells to butcher... per pound, for meat)? I'm interested in buying about 20 goats from a guy I know.

Anyone else on this thread have any goat buying experience that can chip in?

Russ

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
AlterEgo, would you mind asking him what a (live) goat normally sells for these days (example: farmer sells to butcher... per pound, for meat)? I'm interested in buying about 20 goats from a guy I know.

Anyone else on this thread have any goat buying experience that can chip in?

Russ

Can't help you there [he's away] but take a look at this listing on La Pulga - and the females are pregnant

HERMOSAS CAMADA DE CHIVOS DE RAZA SANY PUROS - lapulga.com.do

russ_offord

Jun 6, 2007
blog.jarabacoa.org

russ_offord

Jun 6, 2007
blog.jarabacoa.org
Opps, i mean...

The article Serna to indicate a price of RD$70/kg or RD31.7/lb... Back in 2011-2012.

I just spoke with a cattle buyer/seller here and he said people are buying/selling at RD130/kg to RD150/kg these days.

russ_offord

Jun 6, 2007
blog.jarabacoa.org
Ongoing Thread for Gardeners, Farmers, Jardineros, Agronomos, etc....Pics an...

So, I've been in the goat business for a few months now and here is what I've experienced in terms of goat pricing...

I bought two groups of criollo goats so far for a total of 26 goats. The first time I paid 125/kg of live weight and the second time I didn't bother weighing them but rather paid around RD$3,100 per goat on average.

They were mostly adult females in each case and there were some younger kids and males in the mix. In both groups several of the females were already pregnant. So since buying I've had about 8 kids born with more on their way in the coming weeks and months!

I would have had 34 now, but I had to sacrifice one of the females who's uterus came out after birthing. I figured it was better to sell it for meat instead of paying to have it operated on and most likely having future complications or death anyways.

I sold 1/2 the goat meat to some friends for around 155 pesos per pound (currently ranges around 150-165 around here). The other half was sold by the butcher (whom went to the farm to sacrifice the goat) to locals.

The total meat sale price minus the butchers fees/commission just about covered my original purchase price of that goat. The good thing is that she birthed a male kid for me, so I'll have additional gain on that in about 6 months if all goes well.

We are currently feeding the orphaned kid some goat milk by tying up two other mothers who are currently giving milk to their kids and letting him suckle from them.

I just attended the 2014 national agropecuaria fair in Santo Domingo where I saw some good looking male Boer meat goats for sale. They were asking US$2,000 per male (pure blood, registered) with ages ranging between 1-3 years old I believe!

dreamtime

Nov 14, 2014
Hello,

I just started my own vegetable garden from seeds. What do you use for potting soil here?

Secondly, I'm interested in aromatica plants. I have composed a list below. Where can I find these plants in the DR? Local places have none of it.

Frangipani- Commonly cultivated species include Plumeria alba, Plumeria rubra and Plumeria obtusa.
Plumeria - PLUMAJER?A.
Lilac - lilac
Peony - la peon?a
Jasmine - jazm?n
Gardenia
Mock orange
Mexican orange blossom

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
they have some of them and other reasonable substitues

Frangipani is ubiquitous ali-ali (sp)
night blooming jasmine comes in afew varieties... try punta de noche (say it quietly)
orange trees are here... get the sweet orange
a reasonable sub for lilac is a name I forget... beautiful lilac type blooms.. petraeus (sp, again)

When I saw a plant/vine, I stopped nad asked - many times they offered a clipping to help me start, but I got the name
Peonies - I doubt it, they like a winter sleep, don't they?

things grow fast here... you needn't wait long for results

SC-living

Aug 29, 2017
I was wondering if anyone is still active on this thread. I am new to the country, been living here about six months and want to start my garden. Does anyone have a schedule of which veggies are good to plant during which seasons? I come from a very cold state and am new to warmer weather gardening. Thanks for any help!