Online purchases are now automatically taxed

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
Received this message from eBay -

Effective July 1, 2020 eBay is legally required as a Marketplace Facilitator to collect and remit sales tax on behalf of our sellers, for items shipped to buyers in certain states, now including Florida and Kansas. If you’re a tax-exempt buyer (e.g. a reseller, charitable entity, etc.), you can submit a tax exemption certificate to us and make purchases on eBay without paying tax.

How to qualify for tax exemption on eBay
The documentation required for tax exemption can vary from state to state. Find out what is required in your state here.

We’ll send you an email confirmation when your tax exemption status has been completed. It may take us up to 5 business days to process your request. Thank you in advance for your patience.

Alternatively, you may be able to get a credit for sales tax paid to eBay sellers, directly from your state. Consult a tax advisor or contact the Department of Revenue for your state for details.

If you’d like to learn more about when tax is applicable on your eBay purchases, please visit our Help page.

Thank you,
eBay

Checked eBay, tried to make a purchase, indeed all purchases are now subject to new tax. Thought no big deal, can continue to use aliexpress. But, found today they also now add new VAT to all purchases as of July 1.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Received this message from eBay -

Effective July 1, 2020 eBay is legally required as a Marketplace Facilitator to collect and remit sales tax on behalf of our sellers, for items shipped to buyers in certain states, now including Florida and Kansas. If you’re a tax-exempt buyer (e.g. a reseller, charitable entity, etc.), you can submit a tax exemption certificate to us and make purchases on eBay without paying tax.

How to qualify for tax exemption on eBay
The documentation required for tax exemption can vary from state to state. Find out what is required in your state here.

We’ll send you an email confirmation when your tax exemption status has been completed. It may take us up to 5 business days to process your request. Thank you in advance for your patience.

Alternatively, you may be able to get a credit for sales tax paid to eBay sellers, directly from your state. Consult a tax advisor or contact the Department of Revenue for your state for details.

If you’d like to learn more about when tax is applicable on your eBay purchases, please visit our Help page.

Thank you,
eBay

Checked eBay, tried to make a purchase, indeed all purchases are now subject to new tax. Thought no big deal, can continue to use aliexpress. But, found today they also now add new VAT to all purchases as of July 1.
Who added a new VAT and at what percentage?

Does that mean the DR added the VAT and all purchases, even under $200 are now subject to that VAT?

Sucks about Ebay and Florida taxes when it is for export. How about Amazon?

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013

We order from Ebay almost every second week and just checked my checkout page and did not see any new charges? What is this "new VAT"? I have seen sales tax added to my total for as long as I can remember (I have no idea how long has that been though, but I don't recall otherwise)...

Also, interesting, I have no new messages from Ebay. When did you receive that message? Also not sure what windeguy is referring to with DR adding VAT? Ebay and the DR should have nothing do with one another if you use a courier? Just to clarify, we never ship anything from Ebay to the DR, only to Miami so it's always domestic shipping for Ebay...

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
We order from Ebay almost every second week and just checked my checkout page and did not see any new charges? What is this "new VAT"? I have seen sales tax added to my total for as long as I can remember (I have no idea how long has that been though, but I don't recall otherwise)...

Also, interesting, I have no new messages from Ebay. When did you receive that message? Also not sure what windeguy is referring to with DR adding VAT? Ebay and the DR should have nothing do with one another if you use a courier? Just to clarify, we never ship anything from Ebay to the DR, only to Miami so it's always domestic shipping for Ebay...

Exact same here for BMCargo. Nothing has changed and I just picked up a walmart package yesterday.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Ordered this from Amazon Tuesday, it was delivered the next day to EPS Miami. Notice no tax added.

Order Summary​

Item(s) Subtotal:

$14.95

Shipping & Handling:

$5.99

Total before tax:

$20.94

Estimated tax to be collected:

$0.00

Grand Total:

$20.94

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Amazon has my BMCargo's Miami address marked as being an "Exporter".

Thus I never pay Florida sales taxes on items purchased at Amazon.

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
Ordered this from Amazon Tuesday, it was delivered the next day to EPS Miami. Notice no tax added.

Order Summary​

Item(s) Subtotal:

$14.95

Shipping & Handling:

$5.99

Total before tax:

$20.94

$0.00

Grand Total:

$20.94
I guess Tuesday was before July 1st. Try to place new order now.

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua

Nobody mentioned shipping to DR directly. I use Dominican courier companies. CPS and BM Cargo.

Try to place new order now either from eBay or Amazon or AliExpress - you will see it for yourselves.

Anything purchased before July 1st wasn't taxed. Now from July 1st - they all now add new tax.

See screenshots from Amazon. 1 item purchased on June 26. No tax. When I try to purchase same item now - new tax added.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-07-03 at 18-26-15 Amazon com - Order 112-9423685-6375415.png
    Screenshot 2021-07-03 at 18-26-15 Amazon com - Order 112-9423685-6375415.png
    13.6 KB · Views: 136
  • Screenshot 2021-07-03 at 18-26-45 Amazon com Checkout.png
    Screenshot 2021-07-03 at 18-26-45 Amazon com Checkout.png
    11.6 KB · Views: 141

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Nobody mentioned shipping to DR directly. I use Dominican courier companies. CPS and BM Cargo.

Try to place new order now either from eBay or Amazon or AliExpress - you will see it for yourselves.

Anything purchased before July 1st wasn't taxed. Now from July 1st - they all now add new tax.

See screenshots from Amazon. 1 item purchased on June 26. No tax. When I try to purchase same item now - new tax added.

Sorry, with shipping to DR directly (even though this was not meant) was my confusion after windguy wrote this:
"Does that mean the DR added the VAT and all purchases, even under $200 are now subject to that VAT?"

I just went to checkout page on Ebay, and not sure what has happened, but there is no change, I cannot recall a time when I had not seen tax mentioned... The tax line has not been in zero for a very long time... I see on your screenshots that Amazon used to have it in zero but a least in my case, Ebay has not... I've paid the tax for months and months

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I also use BM Cargo. How did you do it?
I received an e-mail many months ago which I have since deleted.

I did nothing, the e-mail was informational.

I also always check to see if the order is "FULFILLED / SHIPPED BY AMAZON" otherwise the company sending it may charge you sales tax even if they are not located in Florida.

Third party shippers (most likely) will not be aware that the BMCargo address is an "exporter".

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Some states passed a law to charge online purchases, suppliers in NY has to tax their sales for example, before you click pay just check your supplyer is not charging you taxes.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Sorry, with shipping to DR directly (even though this was not meant) was my confusion after windguy wrote this:
"Does that mean the DR added the VAT and all purchases, even under $200 are now subject to that VAT?"

I just went to checkout page on Ebay, and not sure what has happened, but there is no change, I cannot recall a time when I had not seen tax mentioned... The tax line has not been in zero for a very long time... I see on your screenshots that Amazon used to have it in zero but a least in my case, Ebay has not... I've paid the tax for months and months
just recieved a Amazon shipment 2 days ago, shipped to me by Aero pac... under $200 never any tax and I get about 2 a month.......

Feb 7, 2007
Amazon has my BMCargo's Miami address marked as being an "Exporter".

Thus I never pay Florida sales taxes on items purchased at Amazon.
How did you get this address listed as Exporter ? I also have BM cargo address and purchases are taxed by Amazon (sold by Amazon stuff).

Feb 7, 2007
I received an e-mail many months ago which I have since deleted.

I did nothing, the e-mail was informational.

I also always check to see if the order is "FULFILLED / SHIPPED BY AMAZON" otherwise the company sending it may charge you sales tax even if they are not located in Florida.

Third party shippers (most likely) will not be aware that the BMCargo address is an "exporter".
Can you tell me exact format of BM Cargo address you use on Amazon ?

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006

Order Summary​

Item(s) Subtotal:

$14.95

Shipping & Handling:

$5.99

Total before tax:

$20.94

$0.00

Grand Total:

$20.94
Shipping charge, I understand. But what's handling? I really don't want my goods handled. Just send them to me ok!