Online retail stores in RD that accept credit cards online?

vmhatup

Aug 18, 2009
What online retail stores in RD accept credit cards for online payment?

I've been checking several online retail stores (local stores and chains), and all of them either do not accept credit cards online, or they only do bank transfers. For example, Ikea (which is a US chain) does not accept online credit cards.

Is this a coincidence, or is there a reason for this?

Thanks.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Little point but just for accuracy IKEA is not a US chain, its a Scandinavian one!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
What online retail stores in RD accept credit cards for online payment?

I've been checking several online retail stores (local stores and chains), and all of them either do not accept credit cards online, or they only do bank transfers. For example, Ikea (which is a US chain) does not accept online credit cards.

Is this a coincidence, or is there a reason for this?

Thanks.

The problem is not fraud, it's the cost and know how.

Cardnet and Visanet own the local market, dealing with them for online transactions is a nightmare, plus their fee's for online are ridiculous.
Plus most local chains here, don't have the expertise to implement online transactions.

The only company I know that is doing any volume online locally is SuperCasas / SuperCarros. They had to jump through hoops to make that happen.

vmhatup

Aug 18, 2009
Thanks for the posts.

@JDJones: That's really a problem with anyone that processes credit card transactions. I'd assume there's a much fraud here as in any other country.

@Robert: I understand what you're saying, but I find it really hard to believe that only a handful of people in this whole country can open a merchant account in the US and process their transactions with them. Unless there's something I'm missing...

I'm about to open an online site with decent volume, and my payment processor is in the US. But I haven't seen any sites with payment processors and I refuse to believe that I am one of only a few people with the foresight to use an external merchant account instead of using local options. I mean... Ikea doesn't know how to implement an external payment processor? C'mon...

With so many US merchant accounts, there has to be another reason why nobody here uses them.

Feb 7, 2007
First of all, to open US merchant account you must have a US registered company, You must have a credit history in the USA. you must have a US social security number. That's just to start an application process. And that's you answer why they do not use US based merchant accounts.

There are offshore based methods but they are more expensive and also usually require you to have offshore based company and bank account and discount rates charged by processors for these offshore accounts are quite high.

There are also other options like Paypal and Google Checkout, but there are some restrictions and you must have US based account to work via those companies. Also there are nightmare stories about Paypal freezing accounts and keeping the money. SO many people do not even attempt that way.

Now for big chains, they could certainly use offshore processors or even their home-country processors, and many companies like Worldpay can process many world currencies. NO DOMINICAN PESOS though and that is the problem, people do not want to be charged in dollars or euros for their local purchases they do in pesos. It adds about 3% to the purchase price for currency conversion fees when their DR-pesos based card is charge din dollars, and about 6-7% for a pesos-based card to be charged in Euros.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Opening a merchant account or working with a 3rd party processor are two different scenarios. It's not so easy for small local businesses here to get a USA merchant account. 3rd party accounts are easier, but then you have larger fees.

Most local transactions use local cards in RD$. Local RD$ cards do not work outside of the DR, hence the reason we have local processors like Cardnet and Visanet.

Yes, more and more Dominicans are getting international credit cards that are linked to offshore banks that USA card processors will accept, but this is still the small minority of those that purchase goods and services locally.

rendul

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
rendul.tripod.com
Credit Card payment processing

Can someone tell me how then I would order something from IKEA, Santo Domingo, have it delivered to Cabarete and pay for it at the same time? I am not in the D.R. right now but I still need to order some things. Can it be arranged with our local IKEA here, paid for here and delivered there through the D.R. IKEA? Any thoughts? Can it be done by interbank transfer? Some thinking outside the box might work.

Thanks for any suggestions. :bunny::bunny::bunny:

vmhatup

Aug 18, 2009
Thanks for all the replies.

I already have a payment processor with a US bank, but my only concern is how Dominican visitors will react when I charge them.

Let's say an item costs 37 pesos. Before I process the transaction, I have to convert to dollars. So, if the current rate is 37 pesos=$1, I will charge the visitor's credit card US $1 for the item. The visitor's credit card bank will then have to convert that US$1 back to pesos, and chances are the rate will be slightly different.
The bottom line is that what I charge him will be different to what he sees in his CC statement, and that'll spell trouble for my business.

Is there any way I can avoid this type of problem?

Thanks.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Can someone tell me how then I would order something from IKEA, Santo Domingo, have it delivered to Cabarete and pay for it at the same time? I am not in the D.R. right now but I still need to order some things. Can it be arranged with our local IKEA here, paid for here and delivered there through the D.R. IKEA? Any thoughts? Can it be done by interbank transfer? Some thinking outside the box might work.

Thanks for any suggestions. :bunny::bunny::bunny:

You can pay online with your credit card at IKEA.

Their system is "clunky" to say the least, but it appears to work.

Try this: Servicio de Transporte - IKEA Santiago

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Thanks for all the replies.

I already have a payment processor with a US bank, but my only concern is how Dominican visitors will react when I charge them.

Let's say an item costs 37 pesos. Before I process the transaction, I have to convert to dollars. So, if the current rate is 37 pesos=$1, I will charge the visitor's credit card US $1 for the item. The visitor's credit card bank will then have to convert that US$1 back to pesos, and chances are the rate will be slightly different.
The bottom line is that what I charge him will be different to what he sees in his CC statement, and that'll spell trouble for my business.

Is there any way I can avoid this type of problem?

Thanks.

They are used to that :)

Just make sure you make them aware and you shouldn't have a problem.

vmhatup

Aug 18, 2009
They are used to that :)

Just make sure you make them aware and you shouldn't have a problem.
Are you sure? Transactions are usually from 40 to 500 pesos, so how much would the difference be? Even with a clear explanation, I have this odd feeling that the majority will not fully understand this concept, and will be complaining.

What would you suggest? I called visanet and their fees and rates are manageable. But several people have told me that the entire process (application to account approval) may take 2-3 months.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Are you sure? Transactions are usually from 40 to 500 pesos, so how much would the difference be? Even with a clear explanation, I have this odd feeling that the majority will not fully understand this concept, and will be complaining.

What would you suggest? I called visanet and their fees and rates are manageable. But several people have told me that the entire process (application to account approval) may take 2-3 months.

You never know until you test :)

If you can handle their fee's and BS, use them.
As you said, might take 2-3 months to get going.
Also look at Cardnet and the Colombian people that offer services via
Cardnet and Visanet. Cannot remember their name, but search on the board and you will find them.

vmhatup

Aug 18, 2009
They're avisortech.com. They're basically the international version of authorize.net (an authorized gateway to the processor). Unfortunately, I still need visanet or cardnet. They're the ones that told me that it took 3 months to approve.

I read in another post that you had to go through tons of problems to integrate an ecommerce solution to your site... in the end, what did you end up using for your business?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
They're avisortech.com. They're basically the international version of authorize.net (an authorized gateway to the processor). Unfortunately, I still need visanet or cardnet. They're the ones that told me that it took 3 months to approve.

I read in another post that you had to go through tons of problems to integrate an ecommerce solution to your site... in the end, what did you end up using for your business?

We have a USA merchant account (Merchantone) and 2Checkout as a backup.

We do all our own coding, so having our own account was the way to go.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Yes and no.

You need to create a USA company, then get an EIN #, an easy process.
Sometimes they require someone to co-sign that has a decent USA credit score.

In recent years the process has become more difficult, but if you ask around, it's not that hard to get a USA based merchant account. If you have low risk transactions, you should be able to get one. Just avoid adult, gambling and travel related. Yes, travel is regarded as high risk :)

vmhatup

Aug 18, 2009
Thanks for all your replies.

You can pay online with your credit card at IKEA.

Their system is "clunky" to say the least, but it appears to work.

Try this: Servicio de Transporte - IKEA Santiago
From what I saw in the IKEA.com.do site, I can only pay via bank transfer or "Por tel?fono con tarjeta".

Do you know of any sites that use a non-Dominican ecommerce solution? I am trying to find an effective way of letting visitors know that there might be a slight difference between the total (in pesos) from the site and what they see in their online statement, but I have no idea how.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Thanks for all your replies.

From what I saw in the IKEA.com.do site, I can only pay via bank transfer or "Por tel?fono con tarjeta".

Do you know of any sites that use a non-Dominican ecommerce solution? I am trying to find an effective way of letting visitors know that there might be a slight difference between the total (in pesos) from the site and what they see in their online statement, but I have no idea how.

Exactly, you pay buy credit card over the phone.
The also give 5% discount if you use their branded card.

Tell them with a message/warning in the later stages of the checkout process. Don't do it upfront, or your cart rejection rate will jump.

Dominicans are used to converting from pesos to dollars etc, it's not a big deal. They get credit card statements in US$, buy US$ with pesos to pay the card. This is not Europe or the USA, they are used to a few little inconveniences.