Online Website to extend your stay legally 120 days total before your 30 day tourist card expires

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
That is fantastic!!I I don't need it now but I'm trilled at the ease of using it and the security of knowing this is available and not hiding in the corner awaiting a revelation from the lawyers to explain "Visa Extensions 101"..

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Didn't the new boys revamp the site ??

Apparently - it is smoother now than before
More user friendly

A lot of criticism of the old format

dingolay

Aug 28, 2014
Puerto Plata
Do you still have to pay for the extension? If so, why not wait until you arrive in the airport. The last time I overstayed a couple of day and paid for the extension when I arrived at the airport which took 5 minutes. Please explain the difference. Thanks

Mariahboater

SHIPWRECKED
Aug 7, 2020
Ontario
Do you still have to pay for the extension? If so, why not wait until you arrive in the airport. The last time I overstayed a couple of day and paid for the extension when I arrived at the airport which took 5 minutes. Please explain the difference. Thanks
You are legally extending your stay! you can still pay at airport or online if you wish. If you have overstayed with out extending they can use it against you in future and deny your entry on future visits.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
You are legally extending your stay! you can still pay at airport or online if you wish. If you have overstayed with out extending they can use it against you in future and deny your entry on future visits.

Yes, they can and have, but not solely for an overstay.
It has been used as a method to prevent nefarious types from entering the RD sporadically, after being flagged for OTHER concerns.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
So, instead of 5 minutes like the last time, there is a glitch. Computers down. Officer entered something incorrectly. Who knows? Why take a chance of missing your flight? Take care of business and be more secure IMHO.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Yes, they can and have, but not solely for an overstay.
It has been used as a method to prevent nefarious types from entering the RD sporadically, after being flagged for OTHER concerns.
True, for the time that I have lived in the DR, immigration laws have been loosely enforced. As in being totally ignored.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Now change the illegal dr-cafta taxes on cars.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
while the old government "announced" this early 2020, they never did anything on it, it did not work online etc etc.
the actual govrnment startet to work on the matter and on the new website etc right away, added the feature to have everything also in English language etc.
and they are not just offering a as easy as possible online extention of a tourist card,
they seem to be on the move to do the whole "Immigrations Packages" right,
because since a acouple weeks illegal foreigners get taken in the border provinces, of course hitins as very few other nationalities hang out in that region,
and now they extend the same procedure of taking in illegal foreigners elsewhere.
for this week/the coming weeks the east with punta cana/bavaro/veron are on the shedule.
we will see if they stick to their promises to force to apply by their Immigrations Law.

Reactions: windeguy

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
while the old government "announced" this early 2020, they never did anything on it, it did not work online etc etc.
the actual govrnment startet to work on the matter and on the new website etc right away, added the feature to have everything also in English language etc.
and they are not just offering a as easy as possible online extention of a tourist card,
they seem to be on the move to do the whole "Immigrations Packages" right,
because since a acouple weeks illegal foreigners get taken in the border provinces, of course hitins as very few other nationalities hang out in that region,
and now they extend the same procedure of taking in illegal foreigners elsewhere.
for this week/the coming weeks the east with punta cana/bavaro/veron are on the shedule.
we will see if they stick to their promises to force to apply by their Immigrations Law.
The last time they harrassed tourist who were on overstay
on a large scale, the head of the tourism department issued
a written apology. Was all over the national press.

Plenty of French, Italians, Canadians and
Americans living in those areas (punta cana/bavaro/veron)
who just pay the overstay fee at the airport upon their departure.

Perhaps they should start letting people know this is now an
option when arriving at their chosen port of entry... otherwise
I don't see much changing in the immediate future as they are
currently bending over backwards to encourage "tourist" (or whomever)
to come down here and spend, spend, spend.